October 2012 Weddings
Options

How well do you get along with your future In-laws?

I'm curious to know how well you ladies get along with your FI's parents and/or siblings?
photo 8772_10102412474713255_135784916_n.jpg

Re: How well do you get along with your future In-laws?

• Options
    I get along with them really well now. Ill hang out with his mom without him, but that's probably because our moms are best friends. My parents actually set his parents up. His dad died in a car accident when he was 12, so i never met him, but he was one of my dads close friends. He has a twin brother and another brother my age, both of whom I get along with.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That's really cool that your families have that history together.

I got along with his family really well when we first started dating, but somewhere between then and now, things changed. We still get along fine most of the time, but there are days when I can tell if I've maybe been around them too much and just need some time away.

But, for the most part, I get along really well with his mom (I've never really had many conversations with his dad, but I guess we get along fine). I was a lot closer to his sister in the first 2 years, but things changed between us a little when she started dating her (now) husband.
    photo 8772_10102412474713255_135784916_n.jpg
  • Options
    i get along with them very well.  however, sometimes i feel like they treat me better than they do FI.  not sure if thats a good or bad thing...
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Here's another one where your parents have a history. My father was actually his Dad's best man, FI and I didn't meet until we were almost 19 as our folks had stopped spending time together when we were younger.

Since FI and I got together they've spent time together again.

As far as the original question, his Dad and I butt heads a bit. FI's family never contridicts a word their father says and I tend to be pretty headstrong and I'm not one for backing down. He tends to see a lot of my Mom in me and because of that history I tend to get away with occasionally pushing his buttons. His Mom is very quiet so we get along fairly well but don't spend time together alone. His sister and I are very friendly, I'm actually a bridesmaid in her upcoming wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • Options
    I get along very well with my in-laws. I live with my FI and his parents and I have to say, I love them! My FMIL is my cake business partner and I actually have a better relationship with my FFIL than my own father. My dad and I aren't the closest people due to past issues... so needless to say, I am very happy with how my relationship is with my FIL.
    October 2012 Sig: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    In Progress Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We get along pretty well. She (FI's mom) can be a little overwhelming at times. She has a pretty strong personality and always puts her opinion in on decisions that should be left up to us. We were actually a lot closer before her heartattack and stroke. After that she just was throwing a pitty party every few minutes it felt like. We used to have a lot of outings together before she got sick. I understand she almost died but regroup here! Enjoy life! His dad is funny but sometimes can be a little out of line. But for the most part we get along as well. His brothers and sisters are kind of wierd. 3 live in differents states and he only really keeps in touch with 1 (his sister Lisa). The other 2 live here in our state and his younger brother and him have this competition type of thing going on and have had it their entire lives growing up. Whether it be about baseball, money, girls.... you name it they fight over it like if they were still kids. lol Anyway he has another brother that lives here that the family see's less of than the siblings that live in other states. He's a pastor and I guess his church is now his family. We see him on special occasions like every other christmas and when future MIL was sick. But other than the discfuctioniality I still except them as my future family. ; )
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I get along with his Parents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins. Unfortunately I don't get along with his sister, I really wish that we could be friends but I don't think she is interested in it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Where to begin...FMIL has bipolar disorder, and is not controlled at all.  She's usually in and out of the psych unit at least once a year.  She and FI don't get along too well, but I try and keep the peace and be respectful.  She doesn't censor what she says so that's pretty hard sometimes.  Especially the last couple of years becuase FMIL and FFIL are divorced recently. He had an affair (for over a year), and is still with his mistress.  I don't like FFIL much but I try not to let that show.  Then his oldest sister is turning out just like their mother; can't keep a job to save her life.  She lives off their dad and has all her life(he paid for her to live in LA, until recently).  His other sister is pretty ok (reads tarot cards for a living), she still lives in LA.  All in all FI doesn't really talk to his family often, but when he does it's usally a lot of drama!  Sometimes I wish I could only marry the man and not the family!  But it's a package deal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 2012 Siggy Challenge: My Furbaby
  • Options
    acwmacwm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I get along really well with them. FI has 4 sisters and one brother. One sister and the brother live in town, and we see them quite a bit. I get along well with all of them, but I'm only close to a few of them.

I get along with his parents, too. Our families are very different (mine is much more quiet and reserved-- and small!-- and his is much more outgoing and boisterous), but I'm working on adjusting to that.

But overall, I LOVE FI's family and I'm very excited to be a part of it. I tell him sometimes that the only reason I'm marrying him is because I love his family! (Which is not true, obviously, but it is a nice bonus.)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    AshlieS25, we have WAY too much in common.
    My FMIL, before I met him, was in and out of the psych hospital for OCD and bipolar disorder. We got along great when the FI and I first met and started dating, she used to tell me how happy she was that he finally found such a great girl, and hope that we get married one day and have kids because she has always wanted grandchildren. We eventually moved out together, and then it started getting rocky with her. Its like she wanted nothing to do with either of us. I have not seen or spoke to her in over 4 years now, FI and her have very little contact, but he continues to try and call and stop by her house. The reason for the no contact is a very long story. Unfortunately, his dad had a stroke 3 months before I met him, so he cannot talk or move the right side of his body. So he has been in a nursing home since I met my FI. He hardly talks to any other family as his mom distanced herself from them all. Recently his aunt has contacted us via facebook and we are planning to see them sometime, I have never met them. So, I pray it works out...especially for him. There will be none of his family at the wedding at this point. :(
    I really need advice on how to begin to try to talk to his mom again, I just seem to not be able to because of the past issues. I want to try for him, and him only. I want someone to be there on his big day.
  • Options
    i think they llike me better then my FI lol    we get along great, which makes me feel like crap when they get alil "too much"  FMIL will call us about the stupidest things and it will annoy my FI soo much so i get the phone to then do damage control afte he snapped lol  
    he took care of them ALOT when he lived with them, and they got very used to it so they still call and ask him to do everything and it just gets to be a bit much at time.    

but im lucky cause ive seen some poeple that do nothing but avoid there in-laws so if we gotta deal with a few phone calls here and there then so be it lol
    Oct. 2012 Siggy E-Rings Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I get along with my in laws pretty well.  Unfortunately, my mother-in-law had multiple schlorsis and passed away this past January.  I loved my mother-in-law and got along with her really well.  My father-in-law is ok he is extremely funny, but I don't appreciate how he treats my fiancee sometimes.  My fiancee has a brother and two sisters.  His siblings are very nice except for one of his sisters.  His one sister can be extremely nice one day and then a total bitch the next day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 210 Invited to Our Weddingimage
    90 Are Ready to Partyimage
    19 Are Missing a Great Timeimage
    101 Can't Find the MailboximageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_well-along-future-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:4046d040-f76c-4457-9088-12cfc2bfd0bcPost:faf09ecb-d37c-4487-8ec8-95bb603b54a9">Re: How well do you get along with your future In-laws?</a>:
    [QUOTE]AshlieS25, we have WAY too much in common. Posted by fishinflagirl[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry to hear that his family is not going to be there.  We are still on speaking terms with his mother for now, but you never know what will happen with her.  FI doesn't take her calls a lot of the time, so she ends up calling me and complaining about the divorce.  My suggestion if you really want to talk with her is to see if there is someone who can mediate, maybe a therapist.  These situations are so tough.  Good luck to you and your FI.  PM me if you ever need to vent about it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 2012 Siggy Challenge: My Furbaby
  • Options
    I have never met any of his family. :( His entire family is spread throughout the country. From what I know of them I like them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well, Some days they are OK.

They are typical parents complain about how much no one helps, and they do everything.. Like for instance, we have offered to have easter and most everyother holday but they say, " no, no, we have it every year" so we give in. so on saturday, (my FI works 5 to 5, nights for) she calls at 9am and asks what is going on I said Scott is sleeping, and I am holding the sleeping baby. she says "well scott is sleeing in" I say "well he works all night.." she was upset and later that day complained that everyone one is just sitting around while they do everything, this is the last holiday they are doing." It is just annoying they have done this at every hoilday and it just keeps ruining LO first holidays..

Well sorry about the rant. that sums up his parents

His sister is a typiclal teenager and gets on my nerves.

His broher and his wife..  I get along with, even though it has been rocky...

the rest of his family, typical drama and whatever..
    imageimage OCT 2012 May Siggy! Engagement rings! Wedding Countdown Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I actually get along pretty well with his mom. We disagree sometimes but she sends me random text messages telling me how I am so great for my FI and she couldn't ask for a better daughter in law.  And since his brother is only 5, we definitely get along. He is attached to me everytime we go to see them, and he tries to flirt with me lol.  As for his dad, that's a complicated story.  My FI and his dad have never gotten along, and they spent most of the time fighting. But his dad has a lot of bad health problems dealing with his immune system, and he is slowly dying.  About 3 months ago, the two of them sat down and had a talk that should have happened yearsss ago, and ever since then they have been closer.
    October 2012 Siggy:Pets!!!
    Current pet:Zeke
    Dream pets:Great Dane & Yorkshire
  • Options

FI's dad passed away 7 years ago with Lung Cancer.  I never got to met him

FMIL and FSILs live in NC so we don't see each other much.  But whenever FI is talking to his mom, she always asks how I am, and to say hi.  When I'm here, and she's on speaker phone I'll hollar back hi.

My FI is 8 of 9 kids.  His dad had 6, his mom had 1 and they had 2 together.  After his father passed away, his 6 half-sibling has nothing to do with him or his mom.  Sad, but that's how it is.  He doesn't get along with his full sister, but does his half sister from his mom (I hope this isn't too confusing).  I'm FB friends with her and his 2 nieces, so you know that means we're tight lol

Sometimes I think they don't understand the difference in cost of living up here compared to Western NC.  It's more expensive up here, but we get paid more.  So she thinks we're building a house we can never afford and paying for a wedding that's way out of our means.  This weekend FI finally told her how much I make, and hopefully with his degree he'll be making too.  I hope that settles it for now and there's no more tension with that.  Besides, now with the house they can come visit without having to get a hotel!

my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    Ashlie - Thank you. I hope someday we can speak again, for his sake. I might have to vent to you one day and get some more advice. thanks again girl!
  • Options
    I get along great with his family. His parents are always super nice to me and really help us out alot. I always say that I am very luck to have great future in-laws, sometimes we have little quarrels but nothing huge. FI also has one brother that I get along with, just sometimes he can be very moody, but for the most part we all get along very well...I am very lucky
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love my future Mom in law. :)  She is such a sweet heart and we have no problem spending time alone or going out for lunch. 
    Things are a little different with the future Father in law...after Nathan and I began dating his dad didn't talk to us for 6 months.  He thought I was some crazy devil child that was taking his son away from God.  Luckily after Nathan called him and gave him a piece of his mind that situation improved.  His father and I get along fine now and have mutual respect, but it was a tough road to get there.
    He has 4 siblings and I get along well with all of them except for his one brother, who is pretty much the jack a$$ of the family.  Everyone else babies him but I don't put up with the crap...but I think every family has one of those lol.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards