Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Stressed

Hi all!  Just got engaged a few weeks ago and we have decided to get married on Jan 24th and have booked a reception hall already.  I'm very....happy, excited and all those good things but I'm a bit stressed as well.  I'm so concerned with what colors to pick, what my centerpieces should look like, all these DIY ideas, what kind of dress I should wear, trying to keep the guest list to no more than 200 people because the hall cannot accomdate more than 220 and I feel like I can't figure anything else out.  I don't know if I should pick a DJ soon, a florist, when do these things need to be done by?  My mom keeps pressuring me to get the ball rolling and I feel like some things can wait a few weeks.  I also must admit I've always been the type of girl to not want a big wedding, I thought I'd go to Vegas and get married there stress-free! lol But now I'm very excited to be planning my wedding, I just never decided on what I would want because I didn't think I would have a big wedding.  I guess I could just use a little help. Thanks! Sealed

Re: Stressed

• Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your engagement! If you are getting married on January 24th 2013 (ie in two months), then your mom is right, you need to get the ball rolling on everything. If you meant you are getting married in January 2014, then you are probably fine to take things slow for a while until after the holidays. Having your venue booked is the biggest thing. Also, unless your mom is paying for your wedding, why don't you have a smaller affair if that's what you really want?
  • Options
    Congratulations on the engagement.

Yes, I'd like to know if you are getting married January 2013 or 2014. If its 2013 I agree with mom and get the ball rolling asap. Why did you pick a date so close? I think that is the first reason why your stressed.

If its 2014, thats a whole other story. Relaxxxx...... I'd take it easy over the holidays and start up in the new year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    According to your profile you've picked January 2014. You have plenty of time. Calm down. 

It's best to research and book the vendors that can only do one wedding per day (ie photographer, DJ, etc) but the florist, cake baker, etc can wait a bit as they will usually do several weddings a weekend.

As for your dress, look at websites, magazines, etc and get a feel for what you like and don't like. Then go dress shopping.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you for your response :).  I'm getting married Jan. 24, 2014, sorry I forgot to add that to my previous post.  I'm glad you also think I can wait until after the holidays to start really deciding on certain things.  My mom is paying for the reception which is really a big weight off of mine and my fiance's shoulders.  Do you have any DIY ideas for the wedding?  I'm trying to get some insight into things like that, I'm not very crafty but I'd really like to try lol :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_stressed-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:1c881762-f45e-41b8-a127-0c3a4ef474c5Post:79018d2a-8451-49d2-95e1-6657d385e753">Re: Stressed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome and congratulations on your engagement! If you are getting married on January 24th 2013 (ie in two months), then your mom is right, you need to get the ball rolling on everything. If you meant you are getting married in January 2014, then you are probably fine to take things slow for a while until after the holidays. Having your venue booked is the biggest thing. Also, unless your mom is paying for your wedding, why don't you have a smaller affair if that's what you really want?
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    It is 2014, thank goodness otherwise I think I'd about faint right now.  Thank you for also agreeing that waiting till after the holiday season is okay! :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_stressed-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:1c881762-f45e-41b8-a127-0c3a4ef474c5Post:bfcf8add-4096-4bc5-8ae6-c9eeaa30095c">Re: Stressed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations on the engagement. Yes, I'd like to know if you are getting married January 2013 or 2014. If its 2013 I agree with mom and get the ball rolling asap. Why did you pick a date so close? I think that is the first reason why your stressed. If its 2014, thats a whole other story. Relaxxxx...... I'd take it easy over the holidays and start up in the new year.
    Posted by ftrmrsweatherdon[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Thank you for your insight!  I didn't even think about some of the vendors having more than one wedding in a day!  I will def. keep that in mind when I go to book them. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_stressed-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:1c881762-f45e-41b8-a127-0c3a4ef474c5Post:426e57f9-a5dc-44a7-8779-af2c4a1d4384">Re: Stressed</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to your profile you've picked January 2014. You have plenty of time. Calm down.  It's best to research and book the vendors that can only do one wedding per day (ie photographer, DJ, etc) but the florist, cake baker, etc can wait a bit as they will usually do several weddings a weekend. As for your dress, look at websites, magazines, etc and get a feel for what you like and don't like. Then go dress shopping.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_stressed-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:1c881762-f45e-41b8-a127-0c3a4ef474c5Post:9c393bff-add9-4a1e-86fa-ff34c7bcca38">Re: Stressed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your response :).  I'm getting married Jan. 24, 2014, sorry I forgot to add that to my previous post.  I'm glad you also think I can wait until after the holidays to start really deciding on certain things.  My mom is paying for the reception which is really a big weight off of mine and my fiance's shoulders.  Do you have any DIY ideas for the wedding?  I'm trying to get some insight into things like that, I'm not very crafty but I'd really like to try lol :) In Response to Re: Stressed :
    Posted by starbright7315[/QUOTE]

Sorry I can't help you much with DIY ideas. I'm not big on lots of decor anyways, so will most likely have simple candles or something as centrepieces, for example. One tip though is to make sure that doing things DIY will really be more cost-effective (and less stressful) than buying things premade, especially if you're not very crafty to begin with. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_stressed-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:1c881762-f45e-41b8-a127-0c3a4ef474c5Post:9c393bff-add9-4a1e-86fa-ff34c7bcca38">Re: Stressed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your response :).  I'm getting married Jan. 24, 2014, sorry I forgot to add that to my previous post.  I'm glad you also think I can wait until after the holidays to start really deciding on certain things.  My mom is paying for the reception which is really a big weight off of mine and my fiance's shoulders.  Do you have any DIY ideas for the wedding?  I'm trying to get some insight into things like that, I'm not very crafty but I'd really like to try lol :) In Response to Re: Stressed :
    Posted by starbright7315[/QUOTE]

Pinterest.com will become your new best friend. :)  Just go on there and search weddings, and you'll find TONS of ideas that you can start to save on boards, and then when you get a better idea of what you like, you can start to narrow down your searches.  I also loved reading StyleMePretty.com, a wedding blog with a lot of amazing images of weddings.
  • Options
    im stressed too! i just got engaged on 11/16 and we haven't set a date or anything...possibly Aug 2013 . just thinking about it is giving me a headache as ive been looking through tons of magazines, online, weding blogs. im researching WEdding planners on yelp/wedding wire and reading the reviews and all the different planners is giving me a headache!!! = (
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards