Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Engagement Party

My fiance and I have been engaged for a year and a half now, our wedding is in one year (end of April 2012). Should I have an engagement party still (if so when) or just plan and do the wedding? 

Re: Engagement Party

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1. You do not host your own engagement party. 

2. I think engagement parties are usually thrown for a couple to celebrate (or announce) their recent engagement, so it seems a little late in your case. 

3. Keep in mind that anyone invited to a pre wedding party like a shower or engagement part must be invited to the wedding. 

Focus your energies on wedding planning, and if someone offers you a shower or e party, reevaluate then.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, for me, you've been engaged too long for an engagement party at this point. If I were invited, I'd be going, "What is this....didn't they get engaged like a YEAR ago?"
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMO, the ship has sailed on having an e-party.  They're not at all necessary, and I'd be saying what Cassie said "What?  They've been engaged for over a year....why now?"

I'd just skip the e-party altogether, and move on to the next step in planning.  Oh, and ditto pps:  you don't throw your own e-party anyway, so I'd let it go.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We cohosted our own engagement party along with our parents.  Some etiquette advisors say it's okay to host your own; others say it's not.  I think it depends on your desire and situation.  There really aren't a lot of hard and fast rules for engagement parties.  For example, if your parents live too far away or can't plan one, I don't see why you can't throw your own party as long as you're not expecting guests to pay for it and/or give you gifts.  However, since you've been engaged for over a year now, you may just want to skip it altogether.  Some couples don't have it; and most  people who do have it have it one to four months after the engagement, closer to the engagemen than the wedding date.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For those considering an engagement party, here's an article of the dos and donts of hosting an engagement party:   http://weddings.about.com/od/bridesandgrooms/a/engagementparty.htm

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and i have been engaged for 7 months now and are just now getting to planning the engagement party. His parents are going to host it for us. We're still going to help with it though. I'm even making the cake with one of my bridesmaids. I don't think there's anything wrong with when it is.

Also, for those longer engagements it is ok to have your engagement a year before your wedding. It lets your guests know that the final stretch has begun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards