Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Food delivery timing

Our ceremony and reception are both happening in a large hotel suite.  Here's our current timeline:

6:30pm: Return to hotel from photo tour, relax and snack
7:30pm: Ceremony begins
7:45ish: Recessional out into the hallway.  Formal family shots in hall, with people coming out as needed.  Food and drinks in the suite.
8:15ish: Photographer returns to room, B&G take a breather, then return to room to start reception.

So here's my issue: The caterer needs half an hour to get set up.  The chafing dishes are only really designed to heat for two hours, and we have the bartender until 10pm.  Would it be better to have them come set up at about 7:00 and start the ceremony as soon as they're done, or to have them come in as soon as the ceremony is over?  (If they don't come until after, we would have some snack trays set out for the "cocktail hour.") 

Unfortunately I think the guests are going to be around for the setup regardless, I'm just not sure when it's going to work best.
This is a neglected planning bio.
This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284

Re: Food delivery timing

• Options
    You need to ask yourself these questions (or your caterer if you dont know the answers):

Do you have room in the suite to set up the food before and accommodate all your guests comfortably?

Will your food hold up well if left in a chafing dish for an hour or so before you eat? Fish wont, bbq meatballs will.

Chafing dishes have sterno that last up to 2 hours. You can change the sterno when it burns out, so keeping the chafers hot is not the issue. Food quality should be the concern. Lots of food just wont hold up well if left in a hot chafer for too long. I would probably have the food set up after the ceremony is over, while you are having pics taken. Keep in mind that a suite full of people will probably make set up take longer than if the room were empty so plan a little extra set up time.

Hope that helps.
    Ginny
  • Options
    Have your catering people come in and prep the suite before any of the guests arrive.  The chafing dishes, plates, etc. should all be set up in advance.  The bar as well...  (And your decor, if you're decorating the suite.) 

Everything should be ready to go - just without the food/beverages - before the guests arrive.

Then have the food brought in and put into the chafing dishes when it's time to serve.  Voila ;)
  • Options
    That's a really good idea, Expat.  I'll call my caterer and see if that's an option.  The decorating will happen while we and the WP are out doing our photo tour pre-ceremony, so perhaps they could drop off everything but the food in the afternoon, then come back at 7:45 with just the food.  Brilliant!  We have the suite all day, and the night before too, so hopefully we can find a time that will work.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards