Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Hotel block??'s to ask?

Hey ladies, my fiance and I found a gorgeous place out of town that will serve as a pseudo destination wedding for us (within driving distance though).  We are now working on identifying room blocks at various hotels because the area we are looking at is quite expensive (newport, ri).  What are some questions and ides to keep in consideration when speaking with the hotels?  We plan to block rooms at (3) different hotels in order to meet the budgets of all our guests.  Any suggestions???

Re: Hotel block??'s to ask?

• Options
    uderin02uderin02 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011

The main criteria we had was whether or not they have a shuttle and a bar.  We wanted our guests to get home safely and also have a place to hang out after because our reception ends at 930.  The one we booked is 119 a night.  Now I'm wondering if we should have blocked rooms at various hotels for budget reasons too...

But you do want to find out the deadline for your guests to book the rooms so you can let them know.  Ours have to be booked by 9/24 for our 10/22 wedding or the rooms are released.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would ask about deadlines to book, if you have to pay to park and how does that work out with guests coming and going, and if they notify you when people book (if you want to know that information). They should hopefully tell you everything you need to know, but these would be good things to just find out for your own information.

uderin, I think you're fine with just one hotel. That sounds like a reasonable price for Philly and if people want to stay somewhere cheaper, they can find a hotel that meets their budget. Hotel blocks are more of a courtesy than a mandatory thing.
  • Options
    You want to ask if you'll be responsible for any rooms not booked.  
  • Options
    We are working on hotel blocks right now also. Like PPs said, check to make sure you are not responsible for uncoiled rooms and the cutoff date for reservations. Also see if they are required to stay a minimum number of nights (one of ours requires a 3 night stay to get the group rate). Ask about extra fees, such as parking, that are not included in the nightly rate. If you want somewhere with shuttle service, check that out too.
  • Options
    i would make sure you have a range of prices to suit budgets. we are doing the same. having a pseudo destination wedding. everyone will have to drive 1 1/2 hours and most people told us they are planning on staying over. we booked one place that was 15 minut drive away. it was the cheapest place we could find in the area at $120 a night. as well there is a hotel which is a 5 minute walk from the venue but prices start at $180. we are also providing a complimentary taxi service for guest staying at local hotels so they can get back safely.
  • Options
    For our hotel with rooms blocked (so far we just have one)

1 - NO CREDIT CARD has to be used to "block" and if we block X number of rooms and less are fulfilled, nobody is at a loss for the extra rooms ... guests may just lose a good deal

2 - Free shuttle to and from the wedding (reception is at the same site) throughout the night, leaving every 15 minutes or half hour (I can't remember)

3 - If 10 rooms are booked, our room is free, otherwise we still have $15 knocked off the regular price

4 - and we looked into fun things inside the hotel (bar, pool, free breakfast, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards