Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cupcake question (a little on the long side)

My wedding is in 8 days!!
My fiance and I are doing cupcakes instead of the tradional cake. Our bakery has over 150 flavors to choose from. He said we can have 1 of every flavor if that is what we wanted to do. They are awesome! (So if you are in the Wilmington, DE area  Cupcake Heaven in the Fairfax Shopping Center is the place to go!)
We decided on a plain vanilla on vailla, triple choclate, red velvet, choclate raspberry, french toast, oreo on vanilla and Coconut Lime.
My soon to be inlaws are paying for the cake so I asked their opinion. My question was since they werent a fan of some of the flavors, would they prefer to have coconut lime or Key lime. Two flavors I know they like.
This ended up in a 30 min conversation about how we were giving people too many choices, we were going to confuse people, why cant we have grown up flavors etc...

So my question for everyone here is, in your opinion, do you think that our choices are good or bad?  We still have time to decide and I just want to get more than two peoples opinion. 
I want people to remember the cupcakes, but I dont want to turn people off either.

Re: Cupcake question (a little on the long side)

• Since they are paying you should listen to their input. Maybe switch out a flavor for one they want. I do agree that it is alot of choices. We are doing cupcakes as well and our baker told us that if we have more than one flavor we should up the amount of cupcakes, maybe they are concerned about that. People are going to want to try more than one. I don't know how these aren't grown up flavors though. Most people I know, myself included, love oreo. The only one that sounds slightly questionable to me is the french toast, but thats because I've never even heard of that.

Maybe sit down and talk to them again and replace a flavor with one they perfer. Talk to them about how they will be set up. I'm guessing that there is going to be some sort of labeling/organization regarding the flavors. That may ease their worry regarding the confusion.

• I do think pp has a point - with so many flavors, people will want more than one so you will need up order extra.

Don't worry if people remember  your cupcakes - just make sure your reception has good food, good music, good drinks.  They will remember the big picture.

You have 7 flavors listed - it might be easier with say, 4?  (BTW - I would vote for key lime, but I would enjoy coconut lime too.  :)  )  I really wonder how many people will eat if they have 7 choices.
  • That was the point of the convo anyway. I wanted them to have something they liked, esp. since they are paying, which I am eternally grateful for. Thing is we have 38 guests and 70 cupcakes...I am not worried about people fighting over cupcake flavors...and yes there will be signs.
    Maybe if I show them the set up they will relax a bit more
  • Good idea.  Maybe if they can visualize this themselves it wil be easier for them to understand.
  • staar987staar987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    I have to say that as someone that loves cupcakes, I would probably want to try 4 of those. I wouldn't get in a cupcake fight over it, but I would totally grab at least seconds!

Hopefully showing them the layout will help!

ETA: Now I want an oreo cupcake!

• Showing them the layout might help.  If they think that less flavors would be better, I would just compromise on it.  Having 4-5 instead of 7 will still be fun and allow for a variety of flavors, and if it would make them happier, just do it.  Your wedding is in a week--don't let this become a bigger issue than it needs to be that prevents you from enjoying this time.
  • I agree with all above, but I also think all those flavours sound awesome. I'm not sure what they consider 'grown-up flavours'. Chocolate raspberry seems very sophisticated to me and you can't go wrong with plain vanilla and chocolate...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards