Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Can this dress be brought in 3 inches?

I posted earlier about this dress and really do like this one. I am getting it about 40% of the original price, which is a little over a $1,000 below my overall budget. My wedding is in March 2013, so I feel better about purchasing this on off the rack versus being worried about another dress arriving on time or having to rush it. (Long story, but we moved our wedding date up 2 months, so I am now in a rush...) Couple of questions about alterations for this dress: 
1) I want to have a keyhole added to this dress, because I love that look and I am not a big fan of myself in a strapless gown. They said they do additions like that all the time and you won't be able to tell that it was an addition (they are a fairly large salon and have a large onsight alterations department,). Has anyone seen this done? What do you think? 2) The dress is about 3 inches too large in the waist, bust and hips. Again the salon said it would be easy to alter, but would like your thoughts on this. When I tried it on they only used the small clips, so I don't feel like it was crazy "huge" (picture below with clips). Does this gown look like it would be able to be brought in 3 inches everywhere? 
DRESS PICTURES: 
Upclose picture of detail

Please help! Appreciate any insight you can provide! 

Re: Can this dress be brought in 3 inches?

• Options
    Talk to a seamstress. I'm an office manager.. how would I know if it can be altered they way you want or not?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm confused why you think a dress can't be ordered in 5-6 months. That seems like plenty of time to me. But the dress in question is fairly simple and unless you want the pattern to match at the seams it shouldn't be a huge problem to take in. As long as you get a seamstress who knows what she's doing.
  • Options
    Go for it. It is beautiful on you!
  • Options
    artbyallie - Every dress that I tried on said it would take 6-8 months. Even with rush the shop said it wouldn't be here until February. That scares me from an alteration standpoint. Plus this is the only one that I tried on that I love the look. No one told me looking for a dress would be so stressful! LOL! :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_can-this-dress-be-brought-in-3-inches?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:78c0191e-24bf-426e-b819-354e6ae8da73Post:a1fb9360-98ca-4e6e-8f5f-0f14f2faa53d">Re: Can this dress be brought in 3 inches?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@  artbyallie  - Every dress that I tried on said it would take 6-8 months. Even with rush the shop said it wouldn't be here until February. That scares me from an alteration standpoint. Plus this is the only one that I tried on that I love the look. No one told me looking for a dress would be so stressful! LOL! :)
    Posted by Chloe0427[/QUOTE]

It's only stressful if you let it overtake you.  Plenty of couples plan amazing, wonderful weddings in less than 3 months. Dresses can be purchased off the rack.  A good seamstress can make alterations within reasonable time periods, as long as you book the time in advance.  Breathe and relax.  Breathe.  Relax.
  • Options
    Depends on when you are getting married too but don't think it would matter but some places have restrictions of how much they can take in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards