October 2012 Weddings

MIL is NUTS!

Saturday my MIL came over while I was out doing some shopping.  DH was doing some yardwork with his dad so she decided to take a look around the house.  When I got home she comment on our bedroom set and I figured DH had taken her around the house.  When we got into bed that night, the sheets were tucked under the mattress (I don't make the bed that way).  I asked DH if he remade the bed from when I did in the morning and he said no.  I asked if MIL had when he took her on a tour and he said "She was in here?"  I'm a little creeped out that she would remake our bed, and I'd really like to set up boundaries- like don't walk around our bedroom by yourself without us saying "hey, wanna check out the bedroom."  It was one thing when we weren't living there, just remodelling before the move in, but now it's our home.  I don't want to worry that MIL and whoever she's bringing on a tour will see my dirty underwear in a hamper or whatever.  It's an uncomfortable feeling.

She's notorious for making herself comfortable at other people's houses.  DH's aunt was horrified when she caught me being dragged on a tour of their bedrooms and basement storage room the first time I went to their house for a cookout.

How do I tell DH that that is not acceptable and that he needs to talk to his mom?  I don't think he thinks a thing of it, and even supplied her with a garage door opener.  I've come home to see that she's been there while we were at work, because stuff will be moved around.  I see the benefit of someone else having access to our home, but I feel like our privacy has been invaded. 

Re: MIL is NUTS!

• That is horrifying!  There is absolutely no reason that she should be entering your house without your permission when you're not home.  I think you need to tell your DH that you are not comfortable with his mother coming and going as she pleases, especially in your bedroom and that he needs to talk to her.  There's no way to sugar coat this, just be polite, but firm.
  • Your DH needs to talk to his mother NOW.  The boundaries need to set up and she needs to know that she can't just come over whenever she feels like it.  DH should tell her that if she doesn't stop than she needs to give the garage door opener back. 

You should have an open enough relationship with DH to say to him that you don't feel comfortable with her wandering around your house and that you want him to talk to her.  If he says its not a big deal to him ask him how he would feel if your family did the same thing.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • That is soooooo not cool. I would be pretty livid if my MIL did that.

Honestly, I'm not sure why she needs a garage door opener (which I assume is essentially a key). Does she let dogs out during the day or something?
    Anniversary
  • H's family has serious boundary issues.  They mean to be nice, but I am an extremely private person.  My home needs to be my safe space.  H and I had a few minor arguements about me feeling invaded.  His sister was over when I hit my limit and I lost my mind in front of her.  She told his parents that they were causing fights, and the invading stopped.  Hopefully your H will have that uncomfortable talk with his parents, and it doesn't get to a breaking point like it did for me.  Good luck to you, I know how frustrating that can get!

Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • DH gave the parents a opener so that if we needed someone to have access to the house they could get in- the garage is connected to the house so it's like giving a key.  No fur babies for us yet :( but hopefully soon.  Both of our mothers are home during the day, and have been able to stay at the house to let contractors in while we were at work.  Which is very helpful and I really appreciate that.  However, when you're not invited in, it's awkward for me to come home to things out of place, whether she thought she was helping or not. 

I have no problem with her stepping inside while DH and FIL were splitting wood this weekend, but beyond the kitchen/ dining room, living room, and bathroom our home should be a private place.  It's a respect thing for me- my parent's room was off limits growing up unless we knocked on the door or my mom said to go in.  If it's a public space- walk around all you want- but our bedroom? no.

I'll have to mention it to DH tonight.  I'm fine with people coming to see the house for the first time and either one of us walking them through the renovation, but she has seen the room plenty of times and needs to butt out unless we ask her to come in.

And remaking the bed!?!  HELLO, That is so incredibly weird!  I feel a little violated, which is dramatic, but it's just so strange.

• Eeesh, yeah, that's not okay. :(
    Anniversary
  • That is a serious problem!!! I would definitely talk to your H about talking to your MIL. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards