Michigan-Detroit

Tell Us Tuesday

Did you know the engagement was coming or was it a complete surprise?  Did you have a say in your engagement ring?

Re: Tell Us Tuesday

• I knew my engagement was coming "any time" so it wasn't a COMPLETE surprise when it happened.  In regards to my ring, we never went and looked in the stores, and I didn't technically have a "say", but FI knew my general likes and dislikes.  Turns out he did better than I could have even ever done myself!  I LOOOOVE my ring!
    Anniversary
  • I wanted it sooo sooo soo bad but I didn't think he would do it on our trip to Cali because it was too "obvious" and he said he would never do anything like that.  I actually made him say "I'm not going to propose" on our way there so I could just get it out of his head.  When he actually pulled the ring out the next day I had to walk away to wrap my head around it!!  Totally blew my mind lol

And he designed the ring all by himself.  We had stopped at DeBeers diamonds in NYC a year before that and tried on rings for fun, and I gave him an idea of what I wanted, but he went above and beyond and designed the PERFECT ring for me!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Did you know the engagement was coming or was it a complete surprise?  The "will you marry me" was a complete surprise.........he uttered it one night when he'd over-imbibed. We'd been dating over 2 years, so while I figured we might eventually get married, the asking was a surprise.

Did you have a say in your engagement ring? Once he asked (see above), we stopped at Howard's Jewelry on a whim when they had a "going out of business" sale. I did pick it out.

We then had to wait about a year before I could wear it, until my teenage daughter came around on the whole thing about us getting married. She despises her step-mom and didn't want to "lose" her mom to someone she wasn't sure about. Needless to say it's all been a happy ending, as Kevin is wonderful and NOTHING like her step-mom.
  • FI and I picked out my ring together which was his preference. I narrowed it down to a few I liked and he made the final decision. The jeweler said it would take two to three weeks to size but it ended up taking only a week so FI was able to surprise me with the proposal because I didnt think it would be happening so soon, so I had no idea the night it happened.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We'd been talking about marriage and getting engaged so it wasn't a complete surprise. I don't wear jewlery so I had no idea what I wanted in a Ering. My sister and I went to a couple places until I found 2 that I really liked. Then FI and I went and looked at them. Like a year before FI looked at me one night and says 'I know how I'm going to propose to you'. So based on that statement and the timing of it I didn't think that he would propose so quick after we looked at rings when we were on vacation in Puerto Rico. I had a couple suspicious moments like when he got really jumpy when I went to get something for him out of his backpack but I was really surprised. It was a perfect day :
    June 16, 2012
  • The engagement was a surprise. I knew it would eventually happen, but I was in complete shock (and completely happy!) that it was wayyyy sooner than I expected. I was a complete b!tch the day he proposed, so I'm surprised he even went through with it ;-)

FI picked out the original ring. Basically he just picked out a nice enough ring he could afford. I did love the first ring. It was just a simple solitaire round cut. 
    His plan from the beginning, however, was to upgrade my ring as soon as he could afford what he knew I really wanted. I would have been perfectly fine with the ring I had, but he kept insisting that I get the princess cut diamond that I had talked about throughout our entire relationship. For that, I appreciate him SO much more. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was shocked when fi proposed. We had talked about marriage in the past but not the details of getting married or when it would happen.

I had talked about rings like most women do but fi picked mine out by himself.

until this day I couldn't be more impressed with fi and the way he set up the proposal and got me the perfect ring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We'd gone to Kay Jewelers just to look around. He bought the ring somewhere else shortly after, but I had no idea.

The proposal itself was a surprise, in fact, as we were walking home from dinner, I made a joke that he should be glad I didn't post about our dinner on Facebook, because everyone would have thought we'd be getting engaged, when that wasn't true at all. He proposed about 5 minutes later. Wups?
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • FI completely shocked me when he asked.  He actually had me convinced he never wanted to get married because from the day we met he said he would never do it.  One day about 9 months before we got engaged he told me "I know how and when I'm going to propose."  This shocked the hell out of me!  If you read my bio you will get the whole story but he had this elaborate plan that I almost ruined a couple times.  When he actually did it I was so shocked and completely speechless.  He said he has never seen me so speechless!

As far as the ring, When we had some friends get engaged about 11 months before our engagement I started looking at rings and dropping hints.  He refused to even go into a jewelry store with me but would talk about our friends Erings and say if he thought I would or would not like it.  He picked out the perfect ring for me!  I love it!!  He also let me buy the matching wedding band which was more then we wanted to spend when we went in.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We talked about marriage but one day in May (2010) he said he had a surprise for me and I seriously thought it was just going to be a new restaurant to try for lunch but we wound up at the jewelry store and he told me to pick one out. He had done his research and printed a few that he thought I'd like and he showed the store associate who directed me towards those rings. 

3 months later he popped the question. 
  • Definitely not a surprise...considering I asked him (and we'd been talking about marriage for like 2 years)!

We went to the jewelry store together a couple of months later and picked out a ring together. I love the ring, it's an estate ring so it's got some antique charm to it.
  • i knew the question would come soon since we did look at rings together and i let him know what i liked (he got me more than i thought i would get), but he had me convinced it wouldn't be in cali.
  • I knew it was coming but I wasn't sure exactly when. We had gone to look at rings a few times, I just figured he was going to wait until closer to Christmas or Valentine's Day. He figured I would think that and he wanted to surprise me by proposing the day before Thanksgiving. I did have my suspicions though, especially when he wanted to make reservations at a nice restaurant and get dressed up. 

He didn't get down on one knee though so that threw me for a loop and then I just kind of blanked out and kept staring at him and the ring but didn't say anything for a few minutes because I was so surprised. He thought I was going to say no!  Both of us laugh about it now and wish we both had done things differently, but it made for a funny story! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I picked my ring out. FI and I looked for months and about 10+ jewelry stores before I found the one. FI says he is so happy he took me with him or I wouldnt have ended up remotely close to what I wanted.  He didnt buy it in front of me, and he proposed to be about 4 or 5 months after we went ring shopping.

When he proposed, I kind of knew it was coming, he was just acting really strange and seemed like he was in a bad mood. He was just really nevous lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I knew it was coming but I didn't know exactly when it would happen.  We were talking about getting married for months before he proposed and we looked at rings for a few weeks.

I had help picking out the ring.  I told him what I wanted and literally pointed to stones and he picked from there.
  • I picked out my ring and H made me sweat it out for awhile... it got to the point where i was always wondering if this would be "the" moment when he would ask.

We are not spontaneous people so it shocked the crap out of me when he suggested a trip to Portland.  I said "well, how about it this weekend?" so we made arrangements, packed our bag (yes, we shared a bag, which is why I never thought it would happen there).  I blew his plan out of the water but he adapted and it was perfect :)
  • I hoped it was coming, but did not know for sure. All my friends thought it was, but I did not want to get my hopes up if it did not happen.
    I sort of had a say on the ring. My engagement ring is a family heirloom and I had seen it before so I knew what it was like. If I would not have liked it his mother said we could had had the diamonds reset. Turns out I LOVE the original and it fit me perfectly without getting it sized.
    Visit Fall.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were going on vacation to orlando the day after christmas and staying through new years day. I had been bugging FI for a while that I wanted to get married, but he wanted to wait for his older brother to propose(he proposed summer of 2011, getting married this may). So I figured that it was eventually coming, but I kept getting my hopes up different times so when it came close to our vacation I was still thinking it might happen. Literally on New Years Eve day, I talked myself out of thinking he was going to propose that night because he didn't seem nervous or anything. We spent all day at Universal Studios, he won me a stuffed animal at the carnival games, bought me this ridiculous light up head band dredlock looking thing because I wanted it for when the ball dropped. Right after midnight he proposed, while I was wearing that ridiculous head band! I was in complete shock! I had given him hints about what I like when it comes to a e-ring back in the summer, so he took that information along with his Mom's help to pick out the most wonderful ring I could ever ask for!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do a wee bit of lurking around here, but figured I would pitch in on this one.  Unlike a lot of you, I am a woman marrying a woman, so all rules on proposing go out the window.

I decided to propose to her and ended up masking it in a weekend away and totally surprised her!  The best part was that when calling my sister, she let it slip that my FI had something planned for me, so my very own engagement ring had also been ordered!!  So, in a way, we were both surprised!

Neither of us had a say in our rings, but they are both pretty much perfect :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_tell-us-tuesday-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:b6663655-5022-4c65-9fc0-500d61fce488Post:6dfcc688-e4d7-4d17-b451-701dc284ece4">Re: Tell Us Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do a wee bit of lurking around here, but figured I would pitch in on this one.  Unlike a lot of you, I am a woman marrying a woman, so all rules on proposing go out the window. I decided to propose to her and ended up masking it in a weekend away and totally surprised her!<strong>  The best part was that when calling my sister, she let it slip that my FI had something planned for me, so my very own engagement ring had also been ordered!!</strong>  So, in a way, we were both surprised! Neither of us had a say in our rings, but they are both pretty much perfect :)
    Posted by dddecormier[/QUOTE]

That's absolutely adorable! Great minds think alike!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards