Wedding Reception Forum

soliciting reception site

Hey gals! I wondered if anyone has ever gone to personal properties and asked to use their property for a reception site. Either to use their barn or used their property to put up a tent. Anyone ever done this? I know toilets would be a problem but I really wanted a unique site on a cliff or mountain side or something:)

Rebecca

Re: soliciting reception site

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_soliciting-reception-site?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9cd4dd60-e9fa-4adf-8114-fffa5611971dPost:19e41ee4-824f-4ca3-ad60-57968c6cfbfd">soliciting reception site</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey gals! I wondered if anyone has ever gone to personal properties and asked to use their property for a reception site. Either to use their barn or used their property to put up a tent. Anyone ever done this? I know toilets would be a problem but I really wanted a unique site on a cliff or mountain side or something:) Rebecca
    Posted by beccaorban[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I would not recommend requesting to use the personal property of someone else that you don't know.  This could easily become a nightmare and get out-of-hand.  What if you pay a deposit and you never hear from the person again?  Maybe they draft up a contract that sounds official but doesn't hold up in court?  What if they accuse you of damage to their property after your event?  What if the place is in disrepair when you go to set up?  There are a million and one things that could go wrong here.  I would STRONGLY advise not going this route.</div>
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ditto PP. I Just think there are SO many issues that can arise with this, not knowing the person, anything about them, etc. I'm sure they'd want some sort of deposit and who's to say they don't just take off with it? Besides the issues PP mentioned, I would just feel weird hosting a party at somebody's personal home/property that I didn't know. Unless they normally rent out their space for events and publicize this, I would not solicit anybody.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Liability insurance for this could be a nightmare.  
    DSC_9275
  • Going up to strangers and asking if I can use their property?  No, I would never do that.  

You can look into house/estate rentals in the area you want.  Your local board might be a good resource for that.  
  • willywally5willywally5 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    This sounds like it could quickly turn into a mell of a hess. 

And there would be insurance issues. Most people's personal liability umbrella policies wouldn't cover if there was 'rent' money involved.. 

I'd stick with venues that are actual venues. 
  • I am sure that there are actual sites that are similar to those you are wanting. Check the local board for ideas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards