Kentucky-Louisville

Gillespie?

Is anyone familiar with the Gillespie?  I'm considering it for my reception but don't know if it's too much space for my wedding size (probably about 125).

Re: Gillespie?

• edited December 2011
    I was considering them for my reception of about the same size and wondering the same thing. I went to a wedding there in July and there were about 175 guests there and it seemed to be the perfect "fit". It might look a little empty but you could always decorate it to look more intimate.
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you could do 125, just be aware that there are a lot of add on costs--tables, chairs, etc.  Don't look at just the rental price.  My friend was going to do her reception there and when we looked at all of the costs, it was more than double when she thought it would have been. 

If you do 125, consider putting a loungey area with a bar in one area and get some couches and coffee tables for people.  The Event Company rents some and I know that you can also just get them from places like Rent-A-Center.  And you might also look into swagging material across the ceiling to define the space more.  GL!

• edited December 2011
    I agree on the price part. The Saturday rental and beer/wine for 125 guests almost came to 10 grand. That is before food! Buuuuut it is gorgeous.
  • Leecass18Leecass18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked into the "G" and realized I would have to spend a whole lot more money on decorations to fix the place up.  I ended up picking the Henry Clay b/c i would save tons of money on flowers due to how beatiful the rooms are.  I knew I would have no say over the catering as far as who would do it but I couldn't pass up the ballroom (I am inviting 160 or so).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at the Gillespie before the raised their costs for the rentals. We rented the venue and their package that included ALL tables, chairs, linens ( white, ivory and black), and center pieces for $5,000.  We ended up renting our own linens, and center pieces, but my goodness, it was SO beautiful. If you have 125 guests or more this is a great venue because it is so open. The only things that I recommend is that you have your own coordinator for the day and make sure air conditioning is on. The coordinator that was with Gillespie didn't do everything she said she would do, and she was confused about where everything went. My mom and family members ended up doing everything. 

The Gillespie is absolutely beautiful and you can do so much with it.  Bare, its not that impressive. But when your guests walk in they will be in awe. Especially when its all done up :) How are you decorating? 

The Bridal suit was so beautiful. Turned out great in our photos <3 

As far as the bar goes, we had a cash bar and spent $600 because we had 16 bottles of champagne for our toast. If you can bring in alcohol with your caterer, I would do that. Their drinks were crazy expensive for the guests. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards