Christian Weddings

Program Proofing

Hey ladies,

I am finishing my programs and I was wondering if you ladies would like to give me a few pointers? So I am Russian Orthodox so this is kind of the template I found.

A Celebration of the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony

Ravenray and Groom

May 27th, 2012

Russian Orthodox Cathedral

San Francisco, California

3:00 PM

Matron of Honor:

MOH

Best Man:

Paul Johnson

Bridal Party

BP

Officiates

Priests

Choir Director From

Parents

ravenray's parents- Parents of the Bride

grooms parents- Parents of the Groom

Dear friends and family,

Thank you for joining us today and sharing our joy! What a blessing it is to begin our new lives together knowing that those whom we love so dearly are celebrating with us as we sanctify our marriage in and through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior! May He bless you, even as He has blessed us so abundantly, for many years to come!

With love,

Bride and groom

A few Thoughts:

An Orthodox wedding service is stepped in tradition and symbolism, almost everything in the service has a reason.  These are explained at key parts in the service.  You won’t hear Ravenray and groom used in the service, instead you will hear Vera and Gabriel.  Those are our saint’s names that were given to us at our baptism.  The music will all be in Slavonic, but don’t worry the English words are provided for you.  People stand for the service, but if you need to sit chairs are provided by the walls.  There are no assigned areas to stand, but please allow the immediate family members to stand near the Bridal Party.  The first part of the service, or the Betrothal, takes place in the back of the church so be sure to turn around.  We hope you enjoy the service and once again thank you so much for coming and celebrating with us on this blessed day! 

Is it ok?  Anything else you think I should add?  The symbolism will be explained in the rest of the program.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

Re: Program Proofing

• A few thoughts (and of course, I think it's fine, but it's just something I'd throw out there).

-Might you prefer to use the word koumbaros or something instead of best man and matron of honor?  Our koumbaros was separate from them. 
    -Will your grandparents be there?  You might want to put their names in the program.  
    -If you wanted to include the symbolism part, I can see if there's anything else to add.

Btw, I love how your wedding is the same weekend as mine in SF... our one-year wedding anniversary is coming up on May 29th! 
  • Thanks gjones, I was hoping you'd respond :) 

1. That is a Greek word and I have never heard of the Russian word for it so I am just going with the american :)
    2. Actually none of my grandparents will be there except for my step-grandmother. (It's a long and painful story) Where would I include her?
    3. I don't have the symbolism part typed up yet (and truthfully I am not finished) but I would love if you would look over it when I am done! :)

AW!!  That is so perfect! <3  Yaya!  Happy almost one year.  Wow I can't believe it's been one year! 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• A couple of nitpicky points - 

All 3 of your sentences in your letter end with an exclamation point.  I would change the second and third sentences to periods.

This:
    You won’t hear Ravenray and groom used in the service, instead you will hear Vera and Gabriel. Those are our saint’s names that were given to us at our baptism. 

Should be
    You won’t hear Ravenray and groom used in the service; instead you will hear Vera and Gabriel.

I might even do
    You won’t hear Ravenray and groom used in the service; instead you will hear Vera and Gabriel, the saint’s names that were given to us at our baptism. 

Also, were you baptized at the same time?  If not, then it should be baptisms.

Oh, and a comma after "but don't worry"
  • Thanks Drama!  That is really helpful!  I like your second wording better.

Married! May 27th, 2012

• azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    A few Thoughts:
    An Orthodox wedding service is stepped in tradition and symbolism, almost everything in the service has a reason.

Either capitalize just the "A" or all three words.
    And stepped should be "steeped".

• Oh, good catches on those previous things!  Yeah, in case you're looking for stuff on the symbolism, this is the program I used.  You can see their wording if you zoom in.

• Thanks Dancer! I fixed those things :)

gjones- Thank you! :)  I will be sure to review those when I get the final thing together.

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards