Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Father / Daughter Dance

Hi there - I have never posted before, but am obsessed with TheKnot as a resource for planning my wedding.  I have a dilemma about the dances at the reception.

My father passed away when I was 11.  My mom has not remarried, and both of my grandfathers have died as well.  I am not close enough with any uncles to dance with them.  If I only had one brother I would dance with him for a dance, but I have two and would not want to choose between them (I am very close with my two brothers).

My mom will be giving me away, but I'm not sure what to do about the dance?

My fiance will definitely have a mother / son dance.  His mom would really want that.  So what should I do?  Would it look lop-sided to have the mother / son dance as the only parent-dance?

Re: Father / Daughter Dance

• kesh0910kesh0910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be ok to not do it. I've been to weddings where they do the father/daughter dance and not mother/son dance. Or you could start out dancing with one brother and ask the other brother to cut in... pick a longer song. Or you could dance with your FFIL. Good luck!
  • PonyMaidPonyMaid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen this idea before on here:  What about you and your brothers choosing a song that is special to you all and starting the dance with one and then halfway through dancing with the other and finishing it with him?  I do not see why anyone would mind seeing this special moment with you and your brothers.  Also, it keeps it short still by not having too many dances.  Good luck with all your planning!
  • edited December 2011
    maybe you could dance with your FI dad - if he feels comfortable with it
    Photobucket
  • shroombombershroombomber member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with what other's are saying about starting off the dance with one and then ending with the other. Or how about a choreographed dance were all 3 of you get to dance?
  • edited December 2011
    is it illegal to dance with your mom? one of my friends did this at her wedding after all the traditional "first dances." it was maybe one of the most precious things i've ever seen. i don't know what kind of music you're into...but they danced to "thank you for loving me" by bon jovi.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  I will take your ideas into account.  I appreicate all the feedback!
  • Gina MaeGina Mae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would either dance with your mother, or dance with both of your brothers, half way through switch to the other brother.  It might mean a lot to your mother to see you dance with both of your brothers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards