Destination Weddings Discussions

NWR: Babies

I've been curious as to where the ladies on here are with the baby thing.

FI and I have discussed having a family and we've decided that we would be happy with anywhere between 0-2 kids and that he wants to have them before he turns 35. He doesn't want to be an 'old' dad, so if we get past that age and haven't had kids yet/aren't able to we would stay a two-some.

So, what's your story? Feel free to vote in the poll, and post comments below :)

Re: NWR: Babies

• I voted not interested, but it could change. I've personally never wanted children, and being 30 I think I've done pretty well staying clear of them. However, FI has a daughter and would like more children. I told him repeatedly, even before we started dating, that I didn't want children. He says it's ok, and if we don't have any it's fine, but I know he would like at least one more. I told him I wouldn't even entertain the idea until both cars, student loans, and the credit card were paid off. So we'll see. I doubt I'll change my mind, but you never know.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are going to wait prob around three years-ish until we have kids. We want two kids pretty close together, so if all goes to plan we will have one when we are 29 and the other when we are 31. We also already have names, which have been the same for the past four years. We have a boy name, and a girl name, then two back ups if we don't have one of each sex, haha.
  • I have 2 teenage daughters and he has 1 teenage son from previous relationships.

I don't want or need any more kids.

But I wish everyone good luck that are TTC or heading in that direction.
  • We want kids, although I often say I don't.  At this point, they scare me, and I know it would be a HUGE stress on us financially. 

I think I may want to start trying about a year or so after getting married.  I know I want to have 1 or 2, most likely 2 and want to be finished before I'm 30 (I'm 22 right now, so I got time!)

We have a friend that got pregnant not even 2 months after getting married, so we talk about planning my first and her second around the same time :)  Or I should say...at least attempting to!

• Well since both of us are 32 we will start trying after the wedding.  Matt doesn't want to be 35 before we have our first kid.  And my thought is what if takes a little while for me to get pregnant.  So yeah we will start TTC probably in Aug.  I'm not getting off bc until after the wedding.  1 more pack, YAY!  
  • We are getting married next week and started TTC last week!!!!! And FI already has 2 kids, thats why we arent waiting because we dont want our kids to have a HUGE age gap!
    BabyName Ticker image BabyFruit Ticker
  • FI tells me it takes 11 to make a football team so we need 11 boys, and any girls will have to be cheerleaders so we need to get crackin! lol

Really though we are lookin at like 2 and not sure when we want to start, basically once we feel settled and financially secure is when we will start. We just bought our house last year, and I bought a new SUV so hopefully it will be paid off when we start having kids. Thats all we really want, financial security so we will be ready for kids.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_nwr-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:9700cdb8-c0fd-42a7-9179-4d6c61bef01dPost:4147a2e6-cca0-4448-bcb1-89fe3d2971fd">Re: NWR: Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well since both of us are 32 we will start trying after the wedding.  Matt doesn't want to be 35 before we have our first kid.  And <strong>my thought is what if takes a little while for me to get pregnant.</strong>  So yeah we will start TTC probably in Aug.  I'm not getting off bc until after the wedding.  1 more pack, YAY!  
    Posted by aukelly[/QUOTE]

THIS. I would like to start TTC right away. Matt would like to wait until we move because it'd be easier to move without a baby (totally lame reason, IMO, and we currently have no plans to move at this point). I'm 29, and Matt is 33. We want to have at least 2 kids (don't want an only child), and I would like to have all of my children by the time I'm 35. So, that basically gives me 6 years to have all my kids.

I have the same thought of 'what if it takes a little while to get pregnant.' I was put on BC pills when I was 16 because my period was all out of whack, so it's not like I have a 'normal' cycle to begin with. Plus, in August we'll have been together for 8 years, so it's not like we haven't had our together time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to Re: NWR: Babies:

I would say around this time next year we will probably start trying. I would like 2 but maybe 3 depending on if we only get 2 of the same sex and how difficult the birthing is of both. I want a little while to just enjoy being married, but at the same time we are both in our 30s and don't want to wait too long. I think we will just know when the time is right to start trying.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_nwr-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:9700cdb8-c0fd-42a7-9179-4d6c61bef01dPost:1a0e3f18-cee0-4b3a-bf97-eb547f10f5ec">Re: NWR: Babies</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI tells me it takes 11 to make a football team so we need 11 boys, and any girls will have to be cheerleaders so we need to get crackin! lol Really though we are lookin at like 2 and not sure when we want to start, basically once we feel settled and financially secure is when we will start. We just bought our house last year, and I bought a new SUV so hopefully it will be paid off when we start having kids. Thats all we really want, financial security so we will be ready for kids.
    Posted by mae1564[/QUOTE]

Exactly but with a baseball team.  We decided that we're taking a trip to Ireland for our yr ann.  If we feel good about things where we are, then we will TTC there.  If not, I would like to wait to 1.5 before getting prego.  I just want some us time before children are involved!  If it doesn't happen in Ireland, then I want to eat ramen for a couple months and take another big trip at 1.5 and do it then I think.  I want to be out of the country when we conceive!
  • We  will start TTC on our honeymoon.  By the time the wedding rolls around I'll be 34 and FI will be 35, and neither of us wants to have kids too late into our thirties.  We actually started trying last year, for about 6 months, but nothing happened, so we decided to put it on hold and get married.  I kind of wish we hadn't waited so long for kids though.  It always seemed like something else had to be done, like finishing shcool, then moving across country, getting settled in our jobs, then buying a house.  But since we've been together 12 years, at least we've had "our time".

In a perfect world, we'll get pregnant on the HM, and it'll be with twins, so I'll have two then be done! In all likelihood though, I'll start trying for number two so that there's about a two year age gap between them.  Then we'll be done.

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    It's interesting to hear all of your comments, ladies, keep em coming!

I'm 23 (I'll be 24 a month after we're married) and FI turns 28 next month. We've got a bit of an age gap so while I'm not in any sort of a rush he does want to do it within the next few years. 

Maybe I'm greedy, but I love us and having 'our' time. We've only been together 2 years. Yes, we were best friends for the last 7, but it's different. I love being able to go snowboarding during the winter and travel during the summer. I love that we both can take job opportunities that may take us away from home for weeks at a time. This all still feels new to me and I'm not quite ready to give it all up.

He sort of feels the same way. He would rather have kids than not, but if it's not possible he's happy for it to be just the two of us so we can continue to travel and have fun and do the things that we may not be able to do (or afford to do) with kids in tow.
  • I have a 16 yr old from a previous relationship.  She's more than enough for the two of us. We've talked about it and neither of us feels the need to have children. We actually really love when we get the house to ourselves and there's a lot that we want to do just the two of us once she moves out of the house.  We need that time where it's only us before we have any children and by the time that happens, we would just be too old.  Plus, my BFF and I were talking about pregnancy and breastfeeding and everything it does to your body a few weeks back and I was like OH HELL NO am I doing that again. 
  • We want three kids, but we aren't planning to try for several years.  I'll be almost 29 when we get married and FI is a year younger than me, so in some ways I feel like we're kind of old and need to get started.  But, FI has 4 years of med school ahead of him so it isn't the best timing.  We also want to enjoy it being just us a little longer.  We'll probably TTC when we know where he gets into residency several years from now.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • We already have a daughter - she'll be 4 this summer.  Neither of us want her to be an only child (FI was an only child and hated it, and I grew up with 5 siblings and loved it.)  But since they discovered a genetic heart abnormality 2 years ago, I've been told not to have any more kids.  Once we're married, we plan on adopting a child who is a little older (3-5 years old - I like my sleep.  lol) We'll start the adoption process right away once we're married, since it can take some time for everything to go through.
  • My FI and I are both on the same page in regards to babies. Once we're married we'll see what happens. We won't be trying to get prego but we won't be stopping it either. We're pretty much up in the air about kids. I'm 31 going on 32 in June and FI is 32 going on 33 in June. In my ideal world I'd have children before I'm 35 (don't want any issues for me or the baby) but if it doens't work out that way we're okay with it. Maybe in a year I might be feeling totally different but right now my biological clock is NOT ticking.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We already wanted to have kids, but we've waited.

We're going to start TTC probably at the honeymoon, but not religious trying. The most we'll wait (and it depends on my teaching job) is a year....and if we wait for that, our kids will be close in age because we want to try and get kids before 30.

Plus we've been together for seven years and we enjoy our "own" time, but we want to be able to have that light in our lives.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    **Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again; Whenever I'm alone with you; You make me feel like I am whole again**
  • I'm 26 and he's 28, we've been together for over 10 years and we want to wait a few more years, I'd like one by 30 (all those statistics scare me!) so maybe when im 29 we'll start TTC. I have a 10 year IUD and im good til I'm 32 if we decide to keep waiting. I don't want an only child and I think twins would be neat, but yeah that's a little crazy. I also sometimes think I'd like 3 kids cuz i'm the youngest of 3 sisters and love our memories of bonding. I also hope I can be a stay at home mom or only work part time when we decide to have a family.
  • I'm honestly not sure when we will start TTC.  I really, really want to be a stay at home Mom while our kids are small, but I'm realizing that may  not be the best choice for our family financially and my FMIL is dying to watch our kids for us.  I'm really disappointed, but we'll see where we are. 

So, since being a SAHM isn't really in the plans anymore, I guess we may start TTC pretty soon since I am 30 and my Mom went through menopause at 40.  I don't know, we'll see where life takes us!  But I definitely need to get rid of some debt before any kiddos! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • I am 30 and he is 33, we will be turning 31 and 34 the week after our wedding, so I am planning to stop birth control probably a couple months before the wedding and maybe hope to have a baby in the next year or two. I would probably like to wait a little while if we were younger, but we are not. :) I think I want 2 to 4 kids, so I definitely need to get going, because I want to be done before 40 for sure.

imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards