California-Los Angeles
Options

NWR: Where to live in LA area?

Hi girls! I'm just hopping over from the Nebraska board to ask a quick question. I hope you don't mind.

I may be relocating to Burbank to intern for the summer. I've never been to LA and I've found rent prices in Burbank itself are pretty high. If any of you have recommendations on safe areas that are in reasonable commuting distance to Burbank, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much!!! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Where to live in LA area?

• Options
    will47will47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there are actually some pretty reasonable (for LA) places for rent in Burbank, though I've never lived there myself. There are probably nicer places to live, but I don't know how many places you'll find that are a whole lot cheaper within reasonable communiting distance. SFV is not really my pick for places to live, but there are some affordable areas, and it is relatively "safe" overall. My pick would be Echo Park / Silver Lake area, but it's not necessarily cheaper (may actually be more expensive), and certain neighborhoods might not meet your definition of "safe" if you're from Nebraska, though I've always felt safe and comfortable there. Really depends on your interests and preferences

I find Burbank a bit sterile and boring, but there should be some places for rent there which aren't expensive.
    my read shelf:
    William's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I'll give Burbank another shot and check out Echo Park/Silverlake. Thanks so much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in Sherman Oaks which is not far from Burbank.  It's close to the freeways and should only take you about 20 minutes to get to Burbank.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Burbank and I love it.  I definitely feel safe which is one of the things I love about it - especially having a 2 1/2 year old.  But I will agree it can be expensive - but you pay for what you get sometimes - and when you come home you want to know you are safe.  Glendale is close and may also be another option for you.  Before moving to Burbank DH lived in Silver Lake and I also loved it out there too - and I felt safe there as well.
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    will47will47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah - Glendale also definitely a good choice. Some areas of it are nicer than others, but all should be relatively safe.

You can also look at Atwater Village, which is kind of a weird neighborhood in between Glendale and Silver Lake.

Keep in mind that our idea of "reasonable commuting distance" are somewhat warped by virtue of living in LA.
    my read shelf:
    William's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Burbank is cute. You might also look at North Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, and Valley Village for cheaper rent than Burbank, although going over the hill (to Hollywood, Silverlake, etc) will probably be more expensive and mean a longer commute. They're more interesting neighborhoods, though.

Are you looking at craigslist? I'd suggest Westsiderentals.com as well.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards