Massachusetts-Boston

Montillos v. Ivy's cakes

I've seen some back-and-forth about this in the forums, but I thought I'd solicit direct opinions.  Our venue has contracts with Konditor Meister, Montilio's and Ivy's.  I've hated Konditor Meister since I was a child, so I plan to try out Montilio's and Ivy's.  Since the price is part of our package, for those who have tried one or both:  which one had (a) better-tasting cake and (b) less hassle?  Pretty would be nice but tasty and creative is more important to us, and not screwing it up would be a plus.

Thanks!  I'll report back on the tastings.

Sara

Re: Montillos v. Ivy's cakes

• Montillios all the way! Haven't had ivy's but a friend if mine used Montillios at his wedding and it was delish! It was red velvet with butter cream frosting but was sculpted so clean and perfect!
  • I second Montillios. I just went to a tasting at Ivys and the guy was super nice but they use a barvarian cream base for their fillings which I did not care for. I would recommend not going to the Montillios tasting in Braintree because the man we met with (Frank I believe) was not very helpful-he was actually kinda rude. But, the cake was delicious!
  • I would caution against Montillios.  Their cakes are delicious, but their service is horrible.  We were promised a cake at least 3 times and never heard back from the lady (Donna, I think) even though she kept telling me she'd call me in a couple of days.  Once we finally did get the cake, they sent it to the wrong location, gave us the wrong frosting AND there was a hair it in.  She never even said she was sorry.

It's a shame though, because they are the tastiest cakes we tried.  But I'd be very nervous about the realiability of their staff to get you the right cake and bring it to the right place.
  • I had Montilio's at my wedding and all the guests (and us) loved it! We had 3 flavors - chocolate ganache, strawberry grand marnier, and carrot cake. We also had a cannoli tower and the cannolis were approved by all the italians in the room as some of the best they've had! I'd make appointments at both though and see which you like best!
    We're married! And we're ready to sell! http://nauticalwedding.weebly.com/index.html
    Anniversary
  • I had a bad experience with Montilios. I interviewed them in Nov and they never got back to me until (seriously) Friday leaving me a message asking if they were doing my cake. I never even had a tasting with them. Granted I did a stop in to question them. They were supposed to call me back with an estimate and set up a cake tasting.

I ended up going with a new bakery and I have known the owner for 15+ years. My venue had a cake contract with two places. One closed and I hated the other one. So I got a credit and the cutting fee waived. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards