New York-New York City

non-cheesy DJ - how much $$?

How much does a non-cheesy DJ typically charge? I am trying to get a handle on what's reasonable and what's outrageous.

Re: non-cheesy DJ - how much $$?

• alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have gotten estimates from $1200 and up

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Jamilynn627Jamilynn627 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We spent about $2200 for our DJ (Dash of Class), which included 4 hours of music, basic lighting, and uplighting to match our colors.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd assume they'd cost the same as a cheesy one.  LOL.  Do your research and see what suits you.  There are lots of DJ's out there that aren't cheesy dj's.  There's also a bunch of them that are.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks all!
  • edited December 2011
    DJ Gaza is kind of the standard of a non-cheesy dj and he charges $1500.
  • edited December 2011

Jane::: Might I ask .. what do you get for $1,500.

• edited December 2011
    We don't want lighting schemes or any bells and whistles. We just want someone to stand there and play good songs. They don't even have to talk.
  • jenniferb2009jenniferb2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great question!

I don't normally post on these boards but I felt inclined to pass along my knowledge of wedding DJ's.  I helped my sister plan her wedding and she paid $2,000 for what she thought was a 'non-cheesy' DJ who had a nice office and told us everything we wanted to hear.  The DJ's with the nice couches who put on the DVD show are usually the cheesiest.  They take the highlights from the best parts of any wedding they've done and put them in a 2 minute dvd presentation.  What you don't see is the over the top cheesiness that annoys all of your guests.  Don't make this mistake.  To your face, your guests may say that your wedding was the best wedding they've ever been to, but behind your back they'll be complaining about the DJ entertainment.  People remember the entertainment, not the food or the flowers.  I've seen it a million times.  $30k-$60k+ spent on a wedding only to have a dime-a-dozen DJ playing the same set list you've heard at every other wedding you've been to.  It's a shame how many weddings are RUINED because of a cheesy DJ or a bride who didn't want to pay more than $1200 for a DJ.  You get what you pay for.

Now for the good news:
    Then there are DJ's who let their work speak for themselves.  Who have references from the past 6 months, not references from 6 years ago.  

If I had not been in so many weddings, I wouldn't know what to look for in a DJ.  But if you're looking for a packed dance floor, then you'll want a DJ who also has nightlife experience.  This will ensure your DJ is up to date with his music and his skill set.  Knowing this, I went on my search for the perfect DJ and found Turntable Events.  The exact opposite of every DJ I had seen at other weddings.  They were professional and entertaining from the start and an absolute pleasure to work with. When the wedding came, they knew exactly what we were looking for plus added their expertise to create an incredible wedding for us.  Their music spoke for itself and our dance floor was so packed. The video of our wedding is a packed dance floor and empty tables!  It's been over 6 months since our wedding and our guests are still talking about our wedding.  

If you want your friends and family leaving your wedding having had the time of their lives and mean it when they say it, they you need to consider a company like Turntable Events.  They are featured on The Knot for a reason.  Because they are recommended by every bride and groom that hires them.

Best of luck with your entertainment search :)
  • edited December 2011

Depends what you want, need, other considerations with spacing that you might be charged extra, and some DJs may charge travels fees.  For a tad over $1500, I'm getting 6 hours of music (1st hour will be set-up for cocktails); DJ with assistant, and all equipment, etc. with mceeing duties (but we are keeping it light).

• edited December 2011
    I would HIGHLY reccomend John Arden Music!!!!!
    They are based in Long Island and offered us a DJ plus live music package. 
    John actually won the NY Independent Music Festival as a singer songwriter which impressed us a lot.  He is an unbelievable singer and piano player which he uses alongside the DJ.

He asked $2500 for a live music/DJ package which we negotiated down to $2000John played keyboards for the happy hour and the DJ he used was awesome and played everything we asked and avoided our "do not play list" as we asked.

We used him for an after party for another $400 to do and hour sing along along piano bar style and all my friends happily and drunkenly belted out Sweet Caroline, Come Sail away, Piano man, Twist and shout and so many others it was great! 

John Arden Music has 0 cheeze and is the most artsy and professional wedding company we found, still very small.  A friend told us to google John Arden Music and were thrilled.  I had to pass along my story as we were so happy with JAM- John Arden Music!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards