Florida-West Coast

(West?) Florida Ceremony Help

My FI and I do not want a big formal wedding to-do. My family has been planning a family vacation to Disney for January 2013 and instead of doing a "destination ceremony" elsewhere and make them have to travel again in a year, we're going on the family vacation and getting married there. Any friends/family who wants to come can do so, and then we are throwing a big reception back in our hometown a few weeks after we get back.

I do not know much about Florida except the Orlando area, where I have been for several Disney trips throughout my life. I wanted a semi-casual beach wedding. Several people at work suggested the west/gulf coast beaches because they are more beautiful. 1) What are the west/gulf coast beaches that are closest to Orlando (I know we'll have a couple hours drive, but want to cut down the drive as much as possible.) And 2) should I arrange the ceremony through one of those "beach wedding" companies? Or arrange everything myself through different vendors? I still would like a lovely simple beach wedding, but we ARE on a budget and are choosing to spend more of the money on the reception. I don't want the ceremony to cost several thousand when I already will have to be budgeting money for the vacation as a whole.

Sorry this is long, but thank you for any ideas/help you could provide!

EDIT: Was too excited and spelled Ceremony wrong. *sigh*
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: (West?) Florida Ceremony Help

• edited December 2011
    I'm just starting to plan my wedding in FL, we are looking at Siesta Key or Longboat key and we really don't know which one. I visit FL once in a while because my dad lives here, but planning a wedding is a different beast. We really love Siesta, but it's a public beach, you just need to get a permit, that much i know. I'm actually researching planners and vendors from far away, we will visit next year just to come and work on things that needs to be done.
  • edited December 2011

sofiaanderic is correct, you only need a permit to be on the beaches. Just check with the county on applying for it. I would recomend going through a hotel....I went to a wedding at The Tradewinds on Clearwater beach and it was beautiful. The ceremony was on the beach, cocktail hour outside then the reception under a huge beautifully decorated white tent. Another good hotel is the Sirata. Also, the Hyatt Regency Clearwater is the newest hotel in the area and absolutely beautiful. Hope this helps. Good luck :)

imageWedding Countdown Ticker Learning to make a good brisket is only the beginning. www.shiksatoyenta.wordpress.com
  • edited December 2011
    The Tradewinds and Sirata are in St Pete Beach. I am having my wedding at the former. I'm from Chicago -- a destination bride, as well -- and I can tell you that if you leave yourself enough time and keep it simple, all should go very smoothly through one of the hotels in the area. Tradewinds, Sirata, Grand Plaza -- they're all in a row and all have their strengths.

I understand not wanting to spend on your ceremony, but through these hotels you will pay for the ceremony. I spent $1070 on mine.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_west-florida-ceremy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:62Discussion:b85a27aa-3ff7-450e-8d7c-abc827022192Post:252856f0-1c31-4cc3-af01-7c80e580757a">Re: (West?) Florida Ceremony Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Tradewinds and Sirata are in St Pete Beach. I am having my wedding at the former. I'm from Chicago -- a destination bride, as well -- and I can tell you that if you leave yourself enough time and keep it simple, all should go very smoothly through one of the hotels in the area. Tradewinds, Sirata, Grand Plaza -- they're all in a row and all have their strengths. I understand not wanting to spend on your ceremony, but through these hotels you will pay for the ceremony. I spent $1070 on mine. Good luck!
    Posted by ellentravis[/QUOTE]

Do you mind if I ask what all your package entailed? I see on their website that they will not do just a ceremony, which is what I had been planning, but that rate seems low enough to work with. Our plan is a beach ceremony, and then perhaps just a low-key dinner afterwards for the family. We're not throwing a reception or anything there, so I don't want to spend a lot on any "post-wedding" function, though I know we will probably have to book a room/patio anywhere we eat since it would be around 20-30 people.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_west-florida-ceremy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:62Discussion:b85a27aa-3ff7-450e-8d7c-abc827022192Post:08c73d6a-8888-4adc-89a3-1dd27d59d831">Re: (West?) Florida Ceremony Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://www.romantichoneymoonisland.com/weddings/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.romantichoneymoonisland.com/weddings/</a>
    Posted by ccollazo1113[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you so much! I hadn't heard of that site - I'll add it to my list!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    As an FYI, January can be cold in FL so check historical past temps. 

My ceremony/cocktail hour/reception was all at the Sirata.  For the ceremony, they charge $850 plus 22% service charge & 7% tax.  For this you get a white arch and white chairs and their sound system -mics for the officiant & groom, standing mic  - if needed for readers/singer and speakers for the music (my DJ provided the music so if you aren't having a DJ, you might be able to give them a CD to play).  They also had 2 white 3 foot columns that we placed on either side of the arch and put tropical plants on top. 

We had our rehearsal dinner there too @ Rum Runners Bar for about 35 people.  It is very casual and on the beach.  It was great for our out of state guests. 

Keep in mind that you will also need to pay for an officiant.  We used a pastor from a St Pete church and he charged $100 total for rehearsal & ceremony.  Other "licensed" officiants (not affiliated w/ a church) were charging $75 for rehearsal & $250 for the ceremony. 

Good luck & congrats!!
  • kkmcnearkkmcnear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Sand Petal Weddings (www.sandpetalweddings.com). They did our beach wedding on Anna Maria Island in June and it was fabulous.  They take care of all the details and do a wonderful job.  We planned everything from Indiana and couldn't have been more pleased with how things turned out.  Congrats and Good Luck!
  • It's not the beach, but check out Paradise Cove.  It's near the parks and has a beachy feel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards