July 2013 Weddings

Old Family Photo/Great Gatsby Inspiration

This is my great grandparent's wedding photo and I've loved it ever since I was a little girl. My favorite part has always been how each bridesmaid had their own unique headpiece so I always knew I would do something similar with my girls. I ended up cashing in on the mismatched bridesmaids trend and having every girl pick their own style of the same color dress, which is my modern way of paying tribute to this photo. This photo, as well as wedding photos of our grandparents and parents in black & white are all going to be displayed in frames on the welcome table.

However, this weekend I went to the movies and saw a trailer for the upcoming Great Gatsby movie and now I'm OBSESSED. I love every Baz Luhrmann movie and I'm so excited about this one. Now I've found myself combing Pintrest for subtle ways to incorporate this inspiration, without making it look cheesy. I'm not going to have anyone wear headpieces because I feel like it may end up looking like the flapper Halloween costume section at Party Fair lol but I am going to look for some art deco style chandelier earrings for all my girls. My engagement ring is actually an Asscher cut because I liked the at deco look for the past few years.

Any other suggestions for ways to incorporate this theme in a subtle, non-tacky way are appreciated!

Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Old Family Photo/Great Gatsby Inspiration

• Im not sure of what else you can add other than some older items....an old typewriter and paper as your guestbook? Doilies? Little accents here and there should do the trick. I love your idea!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Here are a few inspiration posts I found:

http://blog.theknot.com/2013/01/03/great-gatsby-wedding-dresses-fashion/

http://www.100layercake.com/blog/2011/07/05/a-great-gatsby-20s-inspired-wedding-shannon-ed/

How about incorporating some of the style into the cake, signage, stationery? And maybe signature cocktails? And maybe incorporate feathers and pearls into the bouquets or centerpieces?

I think it's a gorgeous concept and could definitely be done without making it look like the halloween section at the party store lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks! I love those suggestions. I have been looking at incorporating feathers, pearl strands or jewels in to the bouquets and centerpieces. I'm not sure of my florist will do it though. I am very fortunate that the best man's father is a florist and will give us a big discount on flowers. Unfortunately, he is super traditional and set in his ways. I don't know if he will do much more than a basic centerpiece for us but I'll take what I can get, I guess. I will be meeting with him next week so I'll be able to see then. All of the DIY suggestions like signage I can do myself and have exactly how I want :
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards