Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Anyone ever been to Charlottesville, VA?

DH and I are going in November and I'm trying to find fun things to do.

So far, I've found some great wineries and breweries to go to.  We are going for a long weekend (with 2 DMB shows thrown in).

Our days are open, evenings are booked.  We are not looking to spend a lot of money, but want to enjoy the area.

Any suggestions would be helpful! TIA Laughing
Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

Re: Anyone ever been to Charlottesville, VA?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Megan, I haven't been to Charlottesville, but a lot of my friends swear by it! I recommend posting on the Going Out Gurus chat on Thursday on the Washington Post, or scanning their archives. They have some great ideas and they love Charlottesville. There are so many great wineries down there, be sure to check those out during the day. Most of them are not open at night. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/03/24/LI2005032400858.html
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your suggestion! I'll check it out for sure!
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Monticello-T. Jefferson's estate. Beyond gorgeous architecture, grounds, views, etc. Don't know if you've ever been but I liked it a ton more than Washington's Mount Vernon. I can see why he built his home there back in the day ;)

For "historical kicks" (and really good food) the Michie Tavern was a fun place to eat at. Granted I'm a bit of a history junkie but I love those types of restaurants/ambiance, etc.

I also really liked just walking around the grounds of U of VA. Really pretty campus.

Have fun, it's a lovely area!
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Charlottesville for a Dave show a year or so ago with FI. It's SO beautiful down there! The U of VA campus is really great to walk around and we went to the bar where Dave started called Millers. I'm sure it will be packed that weekend, but its definitely a great place to try and go to; your DH would love it if he hasn't been there before!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    db- This is our second trip to Charlottesville for DMB, I want to actually enjoy the city this time! We've been to the pink warehouse...

Planning Bio

• Options
    bg&ggbg&gg member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too recommend Monticello.  It's so charming and beautiful.  Are you familiar with UVa?  It has a gorgeous campus and a nice quant town to wlak around with cute shops.  There is an outdoor mall, which I think they call the "Mall" believe it or not, not far from campus.  Fun place to walk around.  Have a great time! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards