Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Wedding party hair/make-up?

I've been in a few weddings but in each of them, having hair/make-up was completely optional. I'm having someone come to do my hair and make-up the day of so I was going to extend an offer to the girls.

Did you have everyone in your wedding party get their hair done? If so, did you pay or have them pay? Just trying to figure out what info to give my stylist for planning purposes. Most of my BM's are traveling for the wedding so I don't want it to be too expensive for everyone.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding party hair/make-up?

• Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hair and makeup are coming to us. I am paying for all my girls to get their hair done. For makeup, I told them that the makeup artist would be there, told them the cost, and asked them if they would like to have her do their makeup or do their own. 4 out of 6 wanted to pay to have their make up done.

If you pay for it, you can make all the girls do it. If you don't pay for it, you should give them the option to do things themselves.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I, too, am covering the cost of hair, but not requiring it - although all the girls are doing it...

i told them that i couldn't cover the make-up artists cost, but that if they wanted to do that at x cost, they should let me know - none of them are... they are pretty talented ladies and i trust them
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what Bean said.  If you're going to require them to have their hair and makeup done, then you should pay for it.

I am covering my BMs hair, but not makeup.  We're going to the salon, and then I'm having a makeup artist come to my house afterwards.  I gave each of the girls the option.  I basically said, "Listen, I'm covering your hair.  Lisa is coming to do makeup at noon at the house.   Unfortunately, I can't afford to cover everyone's makeup.  If you would like Lisa to do it, she charges X." 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flame away
    But all of my BM will be getting their hair and make-up done.
    It is something that is important to me.

I have not yet figured out the payment situation on this one
    I may pay for one or the other as part of their gifts...
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to require hair but not make-up. I can't afford to pay for both. One of my friends is great with make-up, maybe she can help out with the girls with that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I made appts at my salon for hair and make up for everyone and I plan on covering the cost of both and asking the girls to cover the tip. I haven't passed on the info yet- but figured I would let them know soon?? If they don't want to do it there, I am fine with that but thought it would be fun if we did it together.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another question - And forgive me for sounding like a b-word. But one of my bridesmaids LOVES heavy eyeliner and bronzer. She's gorgeous but would I be out of line to ask her to tone it down for the wedding? (In a more polite way, of course)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I told each of the girls individually during an, "oooh...so what have you planned so far???" conversation that someone would be coming to do my hair. I said she charges x, if you would like her to do yours just let me know so I can give her a count. And I know this may not be popular but I did say I would like everyone's hair "done" but said they could go where ever they wanted. Ultimately, they all said they want to be part of the "girly" fun that day and have it done at my house. Part of it may also have been that my mom does their hair for free all of the time because she is a retired stylist so they are happy to pay once to give my mom the day off. :) 

As for make-up I haven't booked anyone yet. The girls asked and I said when I get a price I will let you know but I certainly will not require you to have you make-up professionally done. My sister said whatever it costs she doesn't care she wants her make-up done. The other girls said depending on the price they might like to feel totally pampered that day.

I would just throw it out there and see what your girls are thinking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is a tough one, you may really insult her even if you say it in a nice way. Can you friend that does make-up well offer to do this girl's? And you can tell the girl doing it to tone it down and if the girl doesn't like it everyone can encourage her saying it looks great and say for photography purposes it really works.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Spangler- not sure there is a nice way to say it without hurting her feelings. Hopefully she will opt to get it professionally done- I would really try and covince her that its a really fun idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The one that's talented with make up is the one that wears it VERY heavy on herself. :) I hate to make it a big deal, it's a part of who she is. And it looks great going out to a night club but for a daytime "garden" theme wedding, I think it's a little much. Hmm. That's a touchy subject. I may suggest everyone go for a more "natural" look but leave it at that. I don't want to offend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definately say to all, don't forget we are going for a soften natural look to fit with the garden theme. As long as you say it to all no one particular person will be called out they shouldn't be offended.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    DianaM27DianaM27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since I only have to bridesmaids I'm covering both their hair and make up (and honestly the make up was the cheaper one to cover). I wanted to gift it to them since they both will have to drive up and stay in PA for 2 nights and even with a good room block deal that gets expensive.

I'm also planning on getting them something gift wise too. Luckily I have the room in our budget because we have been able to save in other areas and I'm glad I can use the extra money to gift to the important ladies in my life!

And as for asking your friend to lighten up the make up, that's a tough one. I think maybe the makeup won't look as severe in pictures as you think it might. And if you are concerned about it I would talk make up with her sinces she's so fantastic at makeup and ask what's the best way to play up all the girls natural features without them look too done up. And then maybe that way your desires will be in the back of her mind while she's putting on make up.
    One of my bridesmaids and I sitting poolside Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to cover the cost for hair. I do not feel that my bridemaids should have to pay for a hair style that they are getting for my wedding. I have not decided on the mkeup yet. I may let them do it themselves.
  • Options
    lauren123455lauren123455 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm giving my girls the option to get the hair and makeup done at their own expense.  But I paid for their dresses because I didn't want to make them buy a dress that they'll never wear again.  This way I feel like they'll be more inclined to want to get their hair or makeup done since they won't have incurred any expenses (other than any alterations) until the big day. 

Also, ask your makeup artist if she'd offer just eyes or just foundation.  I think a bunch of my girls will wind up doing their own foundation and whatnot and just getting their eyes done --- which is a great and less expensive alternative for them.  The MUA should be inclined to do it, if the alternative is these girls getting nothing done.  Some money is better than nothing, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been thinking about this one too.. FI and my MIL both think that I shouldn't pay for hair or makeup. But I would at least like to pay for hair. I mean if we're (the bride) the one telling them how to wear it, we should at least pay for it. Make up.. they can either have it done with me or do it themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards