Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

It's 8 days before my wedding...

This is a venting post.  I had my dress bagged and stored at my parent's house.  It's  a white taffeta dress with a pretty flower on the hip.  I took it the other day for an alteration.  When I got to the tailors, I noticed it was a little yellow.  Upon further inspection, it's more yellow in some places than others.  I called my mom and told her.  She told me to take it to the cleaners.  I did.  The girl at the counter didn't even write down what I came in for!!!!!  It was supposed to be done today.  I just got a call asking what I wanted done with the dress.  So I had to explain.  They said they don't know if they can get it out... I wish I would have known this before!!!!!

So I call my mom about the dress.  My dad smokes.  It stunk like a cigarette when I brought it in.  I know that's what caused it.  She said, "Well, it was in a closet in a bag, I mean, the smoke would have to travel between two door first."  It's smoke!  I should have known better!!!!!!!!!!!  Now, instead of helping figure this mess out, since my shoes and veil don't match and my groom is wearing white, she is finding every excuse possible to not blame it on the cigarette smoke. 

Re: It's 8 days before my wedding...

• Options
    Its not time to play the blame game right now. Right now you have to figure out what you are going to do about the yellow stains, If there is anything that can be done.
  • Options
    Yup, this is exactly why I'm storing my dress at my Dad's house 45 minutes away instead of at my FMIL's who is in the same city. 

Good luck! I really hope it works out for you!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this! :(  I hope they can get it out.  If not, do you have a back-up plan?
  • Options
    Taffeta can develop yellow stains on its own, especially white taffeta.  Any good dry cleaners should be able to get them out.  I would wait until you see if after the cleaning to totally panic.  Even then, there are other things you can try like rubbing alcohol, vinegar, maybe even a Tide pen.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    So sorry this is happening to you. I hope everything works out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_its-8-days-before-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:72807ee1-b930-45f2-9f75-b07d22dcc672Post:7780cb57-cc16-45e0-b7ad-904469335f9e">Re: It's 8 days before my wedding...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Taffeta can develop yellow stains on its own, especially white taffeta.  Any good dry cleaners should be able to get them out.  I would wait until you see if after the cleaning to totally panic.  Even then, there are other things you can try like rubbing alcohol, vinegar, <strong>maybe even a Tide pen</strong>.
    Posted by xobride[/QUOTE]

Just be careful with this on white. I used it on white sweat pants and there is now a permanent yellow stain there. May not happen with this, but just in case!
  • Options
    ceh789ceh789 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    Is the DRESS yellowed or the flower on the hip?  If it's just the flower - look into having it removed by a seamstress?

ETA: stop discussing fault with your mom - the last thing you need a week before your wedding is a family argument about a piece of clothing.
  • Options
    If you knew your dad smoked why did you store it there in the first place? I wouldn't store my dress at some place where someone smoked in the house even it was in a closet. I hope the cleaners can get it out for you!

As ceh said stop discussing it with your mother and just try to come up with a solution.
    Wedding Countdown TickerPitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    IF the cleaner's cant get it out, try a Dryelle dry cleaning kit.  They have this "magic juice" in there that takes stains right out.  Seriously.  MY sister and I had a lipstick mayhap on her wedding day, and got some on her dress.  On her boob!!  It came right out with no problems at all!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That is rough! have you spoken with the place you purchased your dress? Perhaps they can give suggestions for the care of it. Or you can talk to a place that specializes in restoration. Those are my only thoughs, I hope that it helps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well, the dry cleaners did nothing. It is still yellow.   I have an appt tomorrow with a bridal salon.  That dress fit so perfectly... I am upset to lose it.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, please keep us updated! :(
  • Options
    Well, my friend called her dress guy.  He got me in this morning.  My original dress was white, so my flower girl is in white and my groom has white to match.  He only had four dresses in the right shade.  We tried them all on.  There was only one that really looked right on me.  It was 3340...  He knocked the price to 1000 and promised he would have it done by Tuesday.... holy cow!!!  Everything worked out much better than I could have dreamed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards