Pennsylvania
Options

BARN AT BIRCHWOOD-BRIDES BEWARE!!!

I was just married at the Barn at Birchwood. The owners, mainly Suzie, have ZERO people skills. Let me start off by saying that she had us fooled for over a year! She was SO sweet during the whole planning process. That is, until I called her 7 months before our date to ask if it were possible to lower our guest minimum. This was because the groom's mother had just unexpectedly passed away. Hit hard with medical and credit card bills, it is a surprise we didn't have to cancel the wedding completely! Rather than showing any sort of compassion she said, "I am trying to run a business here, but I always fall for people’s sob stories". When we went for our final meeting we informed her that we would not be doing parent introductions or the "father-daughter dance", decisions that were made by my parents and I because we didn't want to draw attention to my Groom whose parents have passed away. Her response? "Well, I think you should do it. I would just be thankful MY parents are still here." She said this in front of the groom! So unbelievable insensitive! But, it doesn't end here. From the rehearsal (which by the way they completely forgotten about! My guests arrived and all of the lights were turned off!) to the end of the reception she did nothing but yell and be rude to everyone- including the bridal party! She made snide comments about the decorations, ("if it were up to me, that wreath wouldn't even be there but the bride HAD to have everything as fall as possible"), called my Mom a drunk, ("Oh, don't hand that to that drunk!) cursed at one of my bridesmaids, ("Well, maybe if you used the f*ucking vase, you could f*ucking hold everything"), demanded to more than 3 guests that they clean her windows when someone "wrote" on them (the glass was foggy and they wrote congratulations on the window WITH THEIR FINGER!), and even cut guests off who weren't even drunk! She even called the flower girl, (a 3 year old!) a stripper when she was playfully hanging on a pole!! She has no concept of simple courtesy. She never would politely ask anyone to do anything. Instead of "Could you please bring your drinks inside" it was "You can't bring drinks out here! Get inside! Can't you read a sign?!". Unfortunately, I don't believe these are isolated incidents. I found out just last night from my photographer that she was rude to him the entire time! When he arrived and asked where he should set up she said, "Um. I don't have time for this!" and walked away! When he asked if he could set up lights to help with the photos she refused. He explained to her that this would prevent him from making large prints that I paid for. She said to him, "Oh well, that's not my problem". Thanks Suzie-you just ruined my wedding photos. Honestly, it may sound like I am exaggerating, but in reality I am not even close to reporting all of the problems with this woman! My Mom left something behind, and we went back a few days later to pick it up. Rather than holding her items in the office she left them OUTSIDE on the front step! She is extremely rude! The facility is absolutely stunning, but in my opinion Suzie should NOT attend the receptions she hosts! She has zero customer service skills. If the location wasn't gorgeous I doubt she would still be in business. It is truly a shame because the wait staff and food are amazing! I don't know how they work with her.

Re: BARN AT BIRCHWOOD-BRIDES BEWARE!!!

• Options
    poodle2010poodle2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It doesn't sound like you are exaggerating.  I am so sorry this happened to you.  It sounds like you are handling it pretty well though because I probably would have been arrested for what I might have done to her if she pulled that on me.  Again, I am so sorry.  There are no words for someone like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Poodle2010!
    I have posted this review on every site I could find. My BMs all did the same! Luckily my family and friends all kept these incidents from me until the day after the wedding. I would LOVE to call and tell her personally how dissapointed and downright disgusted I am with her. But, through speaking with her she said how all of her business is "word of mouth". So, instead of getting into an argument over the phone, I would rather tarnish her reputation. It is such shame because the actual location is so gorgeous! And has the best wedding food I have ever tasted. But, if I could I would have traded all of that to not have my wedding day tarnished like this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How horrible.  There is no excuse for something like that.  I would call the better business bureau on her and file a formal complaint.  I hope the GOOD memories are the ones that stick with you throughout your years.
  • Options
    Lesleya34Lesleya34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so thankful you posted this. I live in the area and I have been looking for a rustic barn atmosphere-- but the service is paramount when planning a wedding and you clearly didn't get what you paid for! Sorry to read all the awful and insulting things that happened! I absolutely will not even consider this facility!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think Suzie Did a fabulous job.  We had our wedding in May of this year (May 14, 2011)  It was a wedding of my dreams and every second of it was perfect!  The atmosphere and Suzie and her co-workers did a wonderful job.  Suzie helped me from day one and walked through everything, she was a big help.  She helped me have my dream wedding.  Thanks for everything!!  The barn at birchwood is a perfect place to have your wedding, it sure was for us!!
  • Options
    I second your review. Suzie was a freaking nightmare at my wedding. She swore at my entire bridal party - stopped me (when I was arm in arm with my father and told me "Next time you get married, this is what your wedding coordinator is supposed to do")

She completely stressed my mother out on the day of the wedding... I couldn't believe her. 3 weeks before the wedding she called us and said that we were robbing her blind because we wanted to do a cash bar (we didn't want a bar at all, but she said that if we did a cash bar she would provide free water and soft drinks - her words!) 

Every single one of my guests noticed her and how crazy she was. 

I loved the location - we had such a beautiful day, but it was in spite of Suzie... She should sell that place to someone who knows how to relate to people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards