Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Uplighting for afternoon/evening wedding?

Hi everyone.  My fiance and I are considering uplighting for our wedding reception, but I'm not sure it will be worth it due to the timing of our wedding and sunset. 

We're getting married at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge.  Our ceremony is at 4 (followed by the cocktail hour in the same room) downstairs in their tent near the river, so no uplights for that.  Our reception will start at 5:45 or 6pm in their ballroom up on the 16th floor that has floor to ceiling windows with views of the city.  Sunset doesn't fall until 8:05 and reception ends at 10/10:30ish. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  Are uplights worth it will only start getting dark half way through the reception?  Any help is much appreciated!

Re: Uplighting for afternoon/evening wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a similar timeline for our wedding and we went with uplighting. Does the room have blinds or curtains that could make the space darker? We essentially made a late afternoon reception look like an evening reception with the curtains drawn and uplighting.

You could always ask vendors for pictures of a similar wedding. We used and highly recommend RC Uplighting and I know that they've worked at your venue before it wouldn't hurt to ask their opinion.

• Options
    Jamps728Jamps728 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think the room has blinds or anything and the reason we booked the room was because of the windows and the views, so I don't think that would be an option for us.  I was however able to find some pictures of the venue using Google and it looks like most people held their wedding at the same time decided to go with uplighting.  So I think we're going to do so as well.  I tried RC Uplighting, but they're already booked.  Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used NorthEast Uplights--they were fantastic to work with and everyone commented on how great the lighting was

www.neuplights.com
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_uplighting-afternoonevening-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:28487e99-1e52-4078-923a-b43bad37d291Post:f1cea78e-3fb5-4f15-b70f-9692475fde2b">Re: Uplighting for afternoon/evening wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think the room has blinds or anything and the reason we booked the room was because of the windows and the views, so I don't think that would be an option for us.  I was however able to find some pictures of the venue using Google and it looks like most people held their wedding at the same time decided to go with uplighting.  So I think we're going to do so as well.  I tried RC Uplighting, but they're already booked.  Thanks for the help!
    Posted by Jamps728[/QUOTE]

Oh thats too bad that they were booked!

One thing that they did that was awesome was a mock lighting session. They came to our venue during the hours of the wedding (it was during the week) so we were able to see what it would look like on the actual day.

Who ever you end up using, see if they are able to do this for you because it was such a great help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely get uplighting. I am using All Star Uplighting out or the bridal building in Andover. They have been so great with everything!  Also, they have a lighting tech. that stays the whole wedding changing colors to different songs and sets the mood for different situations.They showed my pictures of my room during daylight  (2pm) with uplights and it still looks amazing. It is worth every penny, it sets the mood and makes everything look prettier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards