Flowers

Rose/orchid/hydrangea bouquet questions

Hi guys,

I would appreciate some input from some experienced floral design brides. I would like to make my bouquet the night before the wedding (because I won't have time the morning of), but I'd like to be sure that it will be super fresh. I heard that some orchids can be more delicate, so I was planning on using water tubes in the bouquet for them. I was also wondering if I should do the same for the hydrangea. Also, when making a bouquet of roses, orchids, and hydrangeas, I think I've seen some florists leave the hydrangea stem of florets all together and arrange the roses around them. However, I think it would be easier to separate the florets, so I can get a more even look without a lot of hydrangea in the bouquet. Would there be a problem doing that? Also, it sounds like I could end up with a lot of tubes. Is that going to be a problem?

Re: Rose/orchid/hydrangea bouquet questions

• edited December 2011
      Honestly, if you've never worked with flowers, you may find this to be stressful to do the night before your wedding. It's definitely not impossible, but you may want to keep your bouquet simpler. I would also practice with cheaper fresh flowers or silk flowers beforehand.
      A lot of water tubes will look bad. If you use one or two in the center of the bouquet, I think it might be ok. I wouldn't use them at all though. They really are only designed to keep flowers fresh for a few hours and they can leak. Overnight the flowers may drink up all the water in them.  Keep your stems long and tie ribbon around the top of them. Put the bouquet in a vase with the water level below the ribbon. You can cut the stems right before you use the bouquet.  I wouldn't break up the hydrangea florets. Instead you can use the hydrangea as a whole flower and arrange the roses in between the florets. You can gently separate the florets and put a rose in between them. Orchids are fairly easy to work with, but you have to be careful to not crush the petals.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards