Getting in Shape

Healthy snacks

Hi everyone! I'm more of a lurker on the knot, but am trying to get healthier. I'm guilty of snacking between meals, and am looking for healthy snack ideas. Thanks ladies!

Re: Healthy snacks

• I like to make popcorn at night.  Usually there is some left over so I fill sandwich bags with it to snack on during the day.  I'm also a big fan of apples and cheese.  I don't know how healthy it is but I absolutely love snacking on crackers that have poppy and sesame seeds.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Fruit, veggies with light dip, guac, or hummus, nuts, yogurt (greek is good), avocado, smoothies

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I like snacks that are easy to grab and not messy to eat since I work at a computer. I eat a lot of berries, banana, and clementines (because they peel really easy). If I am in need of protein I grab a cheese stick and some deli sliced chicken or turkey. (I usually prepackage everything in individual servings after I purchase it. That way I can just grab it and go) I also really like the Atkins Peanut butter bars (i don't like any of the other atkins bars tho), I am not on atkins but they are filling. Sometimes I even eat those with a side salad for lunch. If you have the ability to heat something up, the progresso ( i think thats it, the one weight watchers endorses) chicken noodle soup is a good snack. I use to eat that all the time, but got burnt out. On the weekends I put one egg and one egg white in a coffee cup with two tablespoons of milk (and add whatever I have around..chives, cilantro, basil, etc.) Pop in microwave for 45 sec, stir and in for 50 sec more. done. I saw it in a magazine recently as an egg commercial, but I love it. Hope this helps!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_healthy-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:ac0f4241-c94d-4feb-898c-7d001f500450Post:56c302eb-0223-4ce3-bbaf-7a42fec8671a">Re: Healthy snacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like to make popcorn at night.  <strong>Usually there is some left over</strong> so I fill sandwich bags with it to snack on during the day.  I'm also a big fan of apples and cheese.  I don't know how healthy it is but I absolutely love snacking on crackers that have poppy and sesame seeds.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

Lefover popcorn? I don't understand this concept.

Seriously, though, popcorn is my absolute favorite "healthy" snack. I keep all different types in my cabinet - light butter, extra butter, kettle corn, etc, so I can get what I crave.

My other favorite snack is mixing 1 part fat free sour cream with 2 parts fat free salsa to make a great dip for toritilla/pita chips, veggies, or anything else you can think of.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_healthy-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ac0f4241-c94d-4feb-898c-7d001f500450Post:406b7a07-46f5-4eec-9dc9-9dd087cafdfe">Re: Healthy snacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthy snacks : Lefover popcorn? I don't understand this concept. Seriously, though, popcorn is my absolute favorite "healthy" snack. I keep all different types in my cabinet - light butter, extra butter, kettle corn, etc, so I can get what I crave. My other favorite snack is mixing<strong> 1 part fat free sour cream with 2 parts fat free salsa</strong> to make a great dip for toritilla/pita chips, veggies, or anything else you can think of.
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]

<div>This is delish.</div><div>
    </div><div>But I do it with greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  Fewer calories, more protein, better taste.  Win win win.</div>
  • Rice cakes! They are only 45 calories. I also like fruit cups, as well as regular fruit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_healthy-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ac0f4241-c94d-4feb-898c-7d001f500450Post:406b7a07-46f5-4eec-9dc9-9dd087cafdfe">Re: Healthy snacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthy snacks : Lefover popcorn? I don't understand this concept. Seriously, though, popcorn is my absolute favorite "healthy" snack. I keep all different types in my cabinet - light butter, extra butter, kettle corn, etc, so I can get what I crave. M<strong>y other favorite snack is mixing 1 part fat free sour cream with 2 parts fat free salsa</strong> to make a great dip for toritilla/pita chips, veggies, or anything else you can think of.
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]

I'll have to try this- sounds awesome!
    I do a lot of the same snacks listed above. I pre-cut and pre-package veggies to have as an afternoon snack for work. I buy whichever type of apple is on sale and ahve one every day as my afternoon snack at work. I also microvave 1/2 cup of frozen shelled edamame, lima beans or mixed veggies as a snack.
  • Whatever I'm snacking on, I like to make sure I have the serving size measured out, otherwise I go to town. I buy those tiny "snack size" ziploc bags and count out servings of pretzels, baked chips, popcorn (super yum), etc., into them. That way, I reach for a correct portion size instead of the entire bag.

I also had a black cherry Chobani for breakfast--a new flavor. It was exceptionally delicious! I also bought the new mango flavor, too.

That sour cream/salsa dip, krizzo, sounds fantastic. I think that may be my appetizer tonight! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I make a bean and corn salad and put it in small containers in the fridge. lasts for days.
    1tbsp olive oil
    4c. whole kernel corn
    1/2 c. minced red onions
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
    1tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp each ground cumin and chilli powder
    1 c. grape tomatoes quartered or 1c. diced red pepper
    1 c. canned black beans drained and rinsed twice
    2 tbsp lime juice
    2tbsp minced cilantro
    1tbsp hickory flavoured barbeque sauce
    1tsp sugar
    ground pepper to taste

heat olive oil in a skillet. cook and stir untill cor just begins to turn brown (do not burn). Add onions, jalapeno, garlic, cumin and chilli powder. Cook and stir for 1 more min and remove from heat. Put corn mixture into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, mix well and cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs.

makes  8 servings, 100 cal / serving.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey (they flavored Greek yogurts ARE yummy, but watch the sugar content on them. It's better to get plain Greek yogurt and add fresh fruit)

string cheese with apples
    Apple with natural PB
    cottage cheese with fruit
    popcorn, as mentioned
    almonds (healthy fats, just watch the serving size)

For a splurge/treat: Skinny Cow ice cream cups. My fave flavor is strawberry cheesecake or the fudge brownie

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Ditto rice cakes...I put some peanut butter (or almond butter) on 2 of them for my mid-morning snack, along with a whey protein shake. In the afternoon I have a snack of 4oz each of ground turkey (lean) and roasted sweet potatoes. I try to make sure I'm getting enough protein throughout the day :) Also ditto the greek yogurt and honey, YUM!
    Photobucket
  • Pistachios! I love them :).
    pregnancy calendar
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards