Nevada-Las Vegas

To split or not to split - ceremony and reception

Ok, so we've started to canvas some family and friend views which are all positive about making the Vegas trip....and I think that we'll have a few more than the 30 guests. Do you think it would be too stressful to try to co-ordinate two venues....plus transport etc..should we simply go for an all-in package at Cili rather than ceremony at Bellagio and reception at Cili?

I know you can't choose for us but some thoughts on pros and cons would be really helpful.

Re: To split or not to split - ceremony and reception

• smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tons of girls split venues.  I would say more often than not the venus are split.

I am doing mine all in one place.

Pro:  far more conducive to being drunk from morning until the next morning.

Con:  eh, none.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• edited December 2011
    We split ours because our ceremony place is a stand alone chapel that his parents and brother were married, so we just wanted to keep the tradition. I do not think anyone had a problem with it since it is Vegas and everyone likes to do as they please anyways.

But also, having it in on place is always nice as well since people cannot get lost/ gamble everything away/ be late.

If we could have done it in one place for a good price, we probably would have, but I do not think guests have a problem with it either way.
  • edited December 2011
    We did all one venue. I liked knowing it was easier on guest. But plenty do split and are perfectly fine :)
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did it all at one venue too, it was more convenient this way!  We like that our guests didn't have to drive again to get to the reception since more than half were OOT. But like others said, plent of people do split. 
  • edited December 2011
    Mine are split because we are getting married in a chapel on the strip.  We are also not providing transportation for our guests.  Our guests are either carpooling with people that have cars or catching cabs.

Yes it is convienent to do it all in one place, but if you love the idea of getting married at the Bellagio,do it, its your wedding!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my ceremony at MB and my reception at Maggianio's.  After talking to the FI and friends we have decided against transportation to the reception site.  I know it is in Vegas but it is a Thursday afternoon so I think we will be good. Most of the out of town guest are the wedding party so they will ride in our cars because we are driving up( I am thinking about getting a Limo for the wedding party)  Do what makes you happy. Hope this helps!
    Until the first full year of being one! Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We chose all in one because it was a DW.  Everyone attending was from out of town and likely would not be renting cars, nor did I want the hassel of trying to get them all to where they needed to be.  And, I was a lazy bride.  Too many details work my nerves.

Now if I had gotten married in my hometown, we would have done separate venues because everyone is from there and knows how to get around.

I say if you love the Bellagio, go for it.  Most of the places on the strip are not that far to walk to especially if it isn't super hot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're having it all at one place. Just way easier than trying to transport 100 people.

With a 30 person list, you could easily arrange a ride for them from Bellagio to Cili. I've seen pictures of ceremonies at Cili that are beautiful, so I don't think you'd be making a wrong choice either one you pick.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_split-not-split-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:66407411-914f-41e0-aed4-69b08a8c452fPost:85ca52b5-67a0-4d49-8616-79d4f5d1bcb5">Re: To split or not to split - ceremony and reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Most of the places on the strip are not that far to walk to especially if it isn't super hot.
    Posted by vfriday[/QUOTE]

Bellagio to Cili is not a walk I would want to do if I was dressed up though. I'd barley consider it if I was in gym shoes.
  • edited December 2011
    It's just more conveinent to do it in place. But again it's your day do what you want. It shouldn't be that too far of a journey if its all on the strip.
  • edited December 2011
    we split ours, but both of our locations were on the strip...ceramony at Caesars, reception at Trump (which is a 1/2 block off the strip). There was plenty of time for guests to get to the reception. If you chose Bellagio and Cili...I would consider some sort of transportation for your guests...as a cab fare would be pretty pricey. 
  • kateynjoekateynjoe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're splitting venues, but providing transportation for our guests. Our reception is in the hotel where we are getting a room block in and we are having DD Bus transport the majority of guests to and from the ceremony in Vegas from the hotel.  While staying on the Vegas many people don't rent cars, so I would definately consider providing transportation if you split venues, cabs can be expensive and for your guest count you can likely provide a shuttle at a decent price.
    "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all!" ~Anonymous~ "It is far better to be small and *Shine* than to be big and cast a Shadow!" ~Anonymous~
  • lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen Cili, and to their credit, they have a gorgeous patio area that in my mind, would be even nicer for a ceremony than Bellagio (no offense to Bellagio brides, the Terraza is obviously beautiful as well!).  And if you have your ceremony there, it makes for a really easy flow to the outside patio for cocktail hour, and then indoors for the reception itself.
  • wenawinterwenawinter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We split ours too. We also provided transportation to/from ceremony site to reception site.  Guests did not seem to mind, as they were taken where they needed to be.
    I figured that even if we had had the reception at home, it would have been in 2 different spots (ceremony/reception) so there was no difference in Vegas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think we were almost decided on no to split....and then we got the details of what they normally do in terms of ceremony and reception.  I'd asked to start around 4pm, then photos and cocktail reception, then meal, then dancing and perhaps try to finish up at around 11pm.  I'd been told (last year) that for a summer weekday wedding (we're looking at a Monday or Tuesday next June) they could try to accommodate whatever we needed.

However, the response I had from Cili (admittedly from someone I think was an assistant catering manager) was that they usually start at 6.30 for the ceremony, then four hour package starts immediately after.  The impression I got was that there was not too much (if any) room for manouevre.

With so many guest coming over from the UK, I don't want the day to consist of a four and a half hour event, so I guess we may have to split it to make the day a little longer.

Is it unrealistic to expect flexiblity on this? 

Any feedback on this or any other pointers welcome!! 
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds about right.  For us, we are looking at this:

4:30-5:  guest load in
    5-5:30:  ceremony
    5:30-6:30 cocktail hour
    6:30-7:30 dinner
    7:30-10:30 dancing

That's for a 5 hour package.  We have reserved two tables at a club for an after party so we can continue the party.

Don't make your day too long or guests will go crazy.  No one wants their whole day scheduled.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards