Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

RUSTIC WEDDING VENUES

Hello! I am looking for ideas for rustic wedding venues in Philadelphia or the surrounding areas!

Thank you!

Re: RUSTIC WEDDING VENUES

• edited December 2011
    What is your budget and what qualifies as "rustic" for you?  I was married at Normandy Farm in Blue Bell, where both ballrooms are located in converted barns.  The smaller of the two ballrooms also incorporates three silos into the archiecture.  I amsure the pricing is different these days, but I found it to be an incredible bang for my buck as well, and the food there is terrific.   On a somewhat different note, Arestano Iron Works in Manuyunk is also gorgeous and has a bit of a rustic feel with the exposed brick/steel there and the art they have hanging.  They are very different in ambience, though, and Normandy is all-inclusive while you would have to brin in everything at Artesano.
  • LadybugBride3LadybugBride3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how big your budget is, but Holly Hedge Estate in Bucks County is rustic and the grounds are beautiful.  I looked their with a friend when she got engaged.  I got married this spring at Normandy Farm in the grande ballroom

image 247 Invited so far!
    image 170 Are ready to party!
    image 35 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are MIA!
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Normandy Farm.  Best wedding-related decision I made, by far.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about rustic. I found Normandy Farm to just be dark and dirty. The carpets are horribly beaten up and the photograoher I talked to once said the lighting and room are horrible for photos because everything is either wood or painted an ugly shade of green, which doesn't reflect light. The food sucked, too.

I think for a real rustic look with charm you want to check out Glen Foerd Mansion, Knowlton Mansion, Pen Ryn Mansion, Aldie Mansion, or Laurita Winery in Jersey.
  • edited December 2011
    The Stone Barn in Kennett Square. Seriously. It's gorgeous, rustic, and reasonably priced.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    angel, what did you eat there that sucked?  I have been back since my wedding, eaten at both the restaurant and from other banquet menus, and I still get compliments on all our choices of food for the actual wedding. 
  • CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could check out my venue.

The Manor House at Commonwealth in Horsham.

Has a somewhat rustic feel.

I love it anyway
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • edited December 2011
    Also check out the Barn at BIrchwood.
  • mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second The Stone Barn, it's beautiful.  My friend had her reception there. 

Meredith Manor in Pottstown is where I'm getting married and it's a restored barn.  It's beautiful and really includes a lot.

I'll warn you, I didn't like Barn at Birchwood.  I don't want to bash, but I can PM you if you would like. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I would second my venue, Holly Hedge Estate! It's beautiful. Aldie Mansion is nice too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it's been recommended twice here, but I would stay away from Stone Barn. I had a lot issues with them when we were trying to decide on a venue. I'm happy to PM you about them if you're curious.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The Old Mill in Media is very rustic. You should check it out.  I absolutely adore Holly Hedge and really wanted to get married there but it was just out of my budget.
  • edited December 2011
    Bean- PM me? I've never had anything but good experiences talking with them. I almost booked there twice. (The first time, my parents were paying and vetoed it because we had 180 people. This time, we ended up at the yacht club because it was a better deal for what we wanted.)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am having a rustic wedding as well.  I guess a big peice of information is also how many people are you hosting?  We have 250 so many of the places mentioned above would not sork for us. 

We ended up picking The Cranbury Inn, Cranbury NJ.  It is about an hour north of city limits up by Princeton, NJ. 

If you want to stay local I HIGHLY reccomend the old mill.  My brother got married there and if they hadn't it is where I would get married.  It is AMAZING!  One word of caution is the caterer is a bit of a pain to deal with but the location is so worth it!

(The venue names above are linked to their sites.)
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • tubtub member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I HIGHLY recommend the Audubon Center @ Mill Grove, It is in Audubon, PA (Montgomery County) This venue is set on a 140 acres of open land has an original stone barn, wedding pavilion and John Audubon's original house. It is so unique and beautiful...I have never seen a space like it! (if you couldn't tell I am getting married here!) Also, Tyler Arboretum in Media, PA is beautiful. This venue offers several options for receptions, a patio, covered tented and many more options. Both of these venues are catered exclusively by Jeffrey Miller Catering, the largest catering company in Philly with an exceptional reputation so you really can't go wrong with them! Hope this helps:)
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    >>Glen Foerd Mansion, Knowlton Mansion, Pen Ryn Mansion, Aldie Mansion,  <<

You can check these places out, but none of them are going to give you a rustic barn feel.  They are all beautiful places, but more  historic elegance. 
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • edited December 2011
    I second QTsgirl and CranburyBride- The Old Mill.  I am getting married there next May. It's gorgeous, rustic and reasonable!  Let me know if you have any questions about it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Can anyone tell me more about The Old Mill?  What it includes and what you have to bring in yourself?  

Also, if it is not too personal does anyone know the average cost of a wedding there?

Thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    Jofreed- I am getting married on a Friday so the site rental fee was a little less at $1800.  I can't remember what the Saturday fee was , but it wasn't a huge difference.  Conner Catering is the exclusive caterer.  You do have to bring in your own alcohol.  The total cost can vary greatly depending on what you choose.  We are still working on customizing our menu, but we are staying around $90 pp.  There's a few really cool places to have the ceremony/cocktail hour outside.  We're having ours at the bamboo garden, then doing cocktail hour by the river and in the garden courtyard.  The caterer is definitely a little odd, but that didn't bother me after hearing what a great job they do.  If you haven't already, check out their website and some photogs pictures of it.  I wanted something unique and I just love it!  If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me!  I can't remember everything right now and have my info. at home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Has anyone been married at Laurita Winery? If so, can you please tell me more about it? 

Thank you!
  • nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Old Mill rules! Have been to three weddings there, a variety of size receptions all were great.  Not inexpensive but you get a lot for your money.  JMHO!
  • kfitch10kfitch10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Historic Waynesborough in Paoli, PA is rustic but so charming.  It's tented for reception and they have a huge garden for the ceremony.  I am having my wedding there next July. 
  • edited December 2011
    i've been to both the old mill, normandy farm, and hollyhedge estate for friend's weddings. I was impressed by all three. The Old mill is very cool because it offers so many options. My friends wedding was outside in a field? like pasture surrounded by trees- just gorgeous. The cocktail hour was held in a tent next to the ballroom, and she was able to decorate the room herself. The actual reception was held in the ballroom, which is also beautiful and def. gives a rustic feel w/ it's stone walls. From what she told me- she is an art teacher- they pretty much give you a blank space to work with, and you can decorate to your liking. Nromandy farm is huge, and you are able to have cocktail hour both outside/inside which is also a plus. The ballroom is in a barn, and while it was dark- I thought it contributed to the overall feel of the "rusticness". Lastly, I was just at a wedding at hollyhedge last weekend and it was beautiful. The ceremony is held in a courtyard w/ a fountain, stone walls, and a wrought iron gate- absoultely beautiful! Food was spectacular, and a plus is that there is a b and b on site so you do not have to go anywhere after(although the rooms were pretty expensive-ours was 187! for one night). 

As for the mansions listed, I am getting married @ penryn in may and i wouldnt describe it as "rustic". Although its on the delware river with lots of acerage of beautiful land and gardens, id say it gives off a more "retro estate" vibe. Hope this helps, and happy planning! 
  • A few weeks ago I had found an awesome barn venue for our reception. Unfortunately, i didn't save the link... I believe it was out 81 N (above Harrisburg, towards Bloomsburg, etc). Does anyone have any ideas of places out that way? I thought I found it on the Knot, but I can't seem to find it again. Thanks!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_rustic-wedding-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:9aa59c62-6874-45ff-a2e8-a6fce5b044bePost:741d3b4c-74a0-40f4-b63d-325af715ea43">Re: RUSTIC WEDDING VENUES</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know about rustic. I found Normandy Farm to just be dark and dirty. The carpets are horribly beaten up and the photograoher I talked to once said the lighting and room are horrible for photos because everything is either wood or painted an ugly shade of green, which doesn't reflect light. The food sucked, too. I think for a real rustic look with charm you want to check out Glen Foerd Mansion, Knowlton Mansion, Pen Ryn Mansion, Aldie Mansion, or Laurita Winery in Jersey.
    Posted by angel33284[/QUOTE]
    those mansions are not rustic. and normandy farm is pretty awesome as far as rustic goes. look up the word rustic in google images and then tell people those mansions are rustic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards