Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Update and Merry Christmas -

I'm sure with the holidays, the board has been funky this week - but wanted to let y'all know why I've been MIA...

My grandfather (89) passed away last Friday evening (fairly sudden - fell on Thursday night from what they thought was a stroke, but ended up being a brain hemmorage - pulled life support Fri afternoon, and he passed within an hour - very peacefully).  He had not been ill, just showing some signs of what might have been early alzheimers - my grandmother, however had fairly poor health as of late (heart attack in Oct).  My grandmother and him (married for 62 years) live in Alexandria, VA (right outside DC) so my FI and I flew up early Sunday to help my dad (who flew up early Friday)... we cleaned my grandmother's house and kept her company for the most part (and provided a break for my dad).  My mom, sister, brother in law, and brother came up for the viewing and funeral.  Everything went lovely (considering) - and as my grandfather was a WWII vet, the Honor Guard from the Army was at the burial and provided a flag and played taps (that will make anyone cry).  I did have a small bit of time to share some of the DC sights with my FI (as he's really patriotic and into history - and I went to DC many times visiting my grandparents throughout my life). Also, we had the chance to see some extended family we don't typically see (especially not this time of year).  It was unexpected, a whirlwind and draining - and I'm so ready for a nice Christmas!
We got home last night - luckily we had both finished our Christmas shopping early! 
Today - I'm finishing up some baking (luckily, I started that last week, too!) - and we are looking forward to Christmas with our families - which of course means running back and forth between 2 houses (plus trying to have some pleasant alone time). It's crazy, but I love it and I love the holidays.
Anyhow - sorry to share sad news today.

I truly wish you all a very Merry Christmas!  I hope you are all blessed to spend time with your friends, family and loved ones.

Re: Update and Merry Christmas -

• Options
    courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! The military services are definitely moving and bittersweet, I agree. I hope that you have nice and quiet Christmas with family!
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather :( That isn't easy and is especially hard around the holidays. Hope you were able to enjoy your time with your loved ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry for your loss.   I know how hard that can be. :(

I hope you had a peaceful and relaxing Christmas.
  • Options
    dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, y'all.
    As sad and hard as it was/is, I know he had a good, long life.  Mostly now, it's just worrying about my grandmother.

My family did manage a somewhat "normal" and very nice Christmas  - though we were all a bit more tired/drained than typical.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry for your loss.  I can imagine how hard it is for you right now - especially around the holidays.  ::hugs::
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards