Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Regret inviting or not inviting?

Hi! We're getting married about 8 hours away from where we live, so it's a moderate destination for folks. I have six friends, fun pals, who i'm on the fence about inviting. They are very fun friends to go out with, but we're not soulmate/best friends. I wouldn't turn to them in a crisis, but they would be on my short list of friends to have a drink with. Our guest list is already larger than my fiance would like. Do i invite these folks and risk the party being a little to large, or skip them and feel like some fun friends were missing?

Would love your advice. Guest list is abut 280, assuming some can't travel, we're shooting for 150-180 at reception

Thanks so much!

Re: Regret inviting or not inviting?

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_regret-inviting-or-not-inviting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:3d904524-89c5-40c6-8b08-b14f243afcadPost:a3148e2b-4898-440c-9088-6cbfe000cc4c">Regret inviting or not inviting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! We're getting married about 8 hours away from where we live, so it's a moderate destination for folks. I have six friends, fun pals, who i'm on the fence about inviting. They are very fun friends to go out with, but we're not soulmate/best friends. I wouldn't turn to them in a crisis, but they would be on my short list of friends to have a drink with. Our guest list is already larger than my fiance would like. Do i invite these folks and risk the party being a little to large, or skip them and feel like some fun friends were missing? Would love your advice. Guest list is abut 280, assuming some can't travel, we're shooting for 150-180 at reception Thanks so much!
    Posted by TheBaysideBride[/QUOTE]

You should always plan on 100% attendance.  If your guest list is 280, while you might think you'll end up with 150-180, please be sure the venue and your budget can accomodate 280.  Many people have been in your situation before and have been surprised when then get lots of "yes" responses when they thought for sure the guests would be "no".   If you're already pushing the limit, I wouldn't invite these friends.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_regret-inviting-or-not-inviting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:3d904524-89c5-40c6-8b08-b14f243afcadPost:ee31bc2a-b9c8-4e09-b1a1-9101993be6d4">Re: Regret inviting or not inviting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Regret inviting or not inviting? : You should always plan on 100% attendance.  If your guest list is 280, while you might think you'll end up with 150-180, please be sure the venue and your budget can accomodate 280.  Many people have been in your situation before and have been surprised when then get lots of "yes" responses when they thought for sure the guests would be "no".   If you're already pushing the limit, I wouldn't invite these friends.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly what Joan said, plus consider that if these friends have significant others, you must invite them together. So your 6 friends might mean 12 guests.</div>
  • There are several people that we just couldn't invite; and to this day (it'll be 2 years next week), it truly breaks my heart. But I also know that people understand that a wedding is expensive. and that unless you're Donald Trump, you just can't invite everyone. So as pp's said, if inviting these 6 friends would put you over budget, over space..you'll just have to leave them off. 

• mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_regret-inviting-or-not-inviting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:3d904524-89c5-40c6-8b08-b14f243afcadPost:81a3bfdf-530b-4f1d-ad1f-bf4f071b7d83">Re: Regret inviting or not inviting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are several people that we just couldn't invite; and to this day , it truly breaks my heart.
    Posted by RoMy215[/QUOTE]

Same here! We just couldn't affford it and unfortunately lost friends because of it. Although you hope that a good chunk of people will not be able to make it,  you may be surprised. You are hoping that 100-130 people out of the 280 that you sent invites to will not be coming - that's a lot!
  • Sure, I could have invited more people, we have lots of friends...but to be honest, I barely got to spend time with the people we did invite, so I didn't really feel like I was missing out by inviting fewer people. 

With 280 guests invited, I'm guessing you're going to be even busier. On the flip side though, if you have the funds and want them to feel included, go for it.
  • I learned the hard way, don't invite more people then you can afford or fit. We had probably 30 people who were sent "courtesy invites"  (inviting family members who need to be invited but you figure won't come due to expenses involved but you don't want to offend) that came. We were expecting 80-90 people and ended up with 120. Lucky our hall had no problems but our budget got hit hard by that.
  • I would wait to invite them and if after you get your rsvp's back.  You may be able to invite based on low turnout.  If they aren't your go-to people though just leave them off for now and hope you can invite them later.
  • I agree with the post above. My fiance and I are creating an "A" and "B" list. Most people say send invites out 6-8weeks in advance but we plan to send the "A" list out closer to 10 weeks in advance and based on the responses we'll send out "B" list invites around 6-8 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards