Christian Weddings

worry worry worry...

I am such a worrier. And it's not good. AT ALL. I worry about every single thing I could possibly worry about. Especailly my health and my loved ones. I really need some encouragement. When you feel yourself worrying, what do you do to calm yourself down? Any Bible verses that you could lead me to? Or something encouraging?

Thank you!
When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.

Re: worry worry worry...

• AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry about anything, pray about everything--Philippians 4:6

I'm a huge worrier, too.  I think I get it from my dad since he's the exact same way.  So whenever I start to worry about something trivial or even something more important, I always have to repeat that verse over and over in my head and give whatever worry I have up to God.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
    Matthew 6:34

I like this one, too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • edited December 2011
    :) Thank you, Ally!!
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're worrying so much right now.

I like to focus on Jeremiah 29:11 - It was our wedding verse, and a great reminder that God is in control of everything.
    "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
    Hope that helps.

BTW, just wondering how you're doing with the whole moving your wedding date out so far. Weren't you planning for January at one point? I've kept you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, also there's a cute song that always makes me laugh. It runs through my head whenever I start worrying. ;)

It's called The Worry Song by Gene Kelly. (The song actually starts at about 1:18, but the video is fun.) http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i5jh_tom-jerry-with-gene-kelly_music
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Dancer!!

Yep, it was scheduled for January. But, I couldn't transfer schools like I was hoping to, so we have to just wait until after I graduate next May. At first I was extremely upset about it and pretty discouraged. But now I'm actually doing quite well.  This three and a half year engagement obviously isn't ideal, but I've convinced myself that it was in God's plan. Now I get to finish school, which I know really is a blessing. Plus, I get to spend more time making a difference in the lives of people here and growing with God through this college experience.  Sometimes I still get discouraged when I think about how long I'll have been engaged and I'll think it's stupid, but then I just remind myself that this is for the best. I couldnt' transfer for some reason, so there has to be some reason that I was supposed to push back the wedding and stay here at this place. So anyways, I'm okay!
  • edited December 2011
    "Seek ye First the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you."

Matthew 6:33

Put your focus on God and pleasing Him first.  It is very humbling to think about, but God is concerned about you.  He has a plan for you.  Plans to prosper and not to harm you.  Plans to give you hope and a future (taken from Jeremiah 29:11).  He has these same plans in place for your loved ones!  Let God shoulder your burden.  His shoulders are big enough for the whole world AND your worries.  He WANTS them!  Anyone who wants my worries can have them.  The hardest part is releasing them.  If you keep holding on to them, part of you has a pride thing going on -- you feel like by holding on to them that YOU can solve your worries.  Don't let yourself get prideful in that manner.  God wants them, and he's wanting you to let go.  Release them, and just say "Lord, I'm finding my mind filled with worries about loved ones, health, _____, and I need you to help fill my mind with you and your Spirit."  

Also, try reading some passages of scripture, perhaps the book of Ruth.  Something to take your mind off of what's going on.  Ruth is SUCH an inspiration.  

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    I've had problems with anxiety for a while since high school - I've meditated a lot of Isaiah 26:3.
  • edited December 2011

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"Not only will He never leave you--that's the negative side of the promise--but He cares for you. He is not just there with you. He cares for you. His care is constant--not occasional or sporadic. His care is total--even the very hairs of your head are numbered. His care is sovereign--nothing can touch you that He does not allow. His care is infinitely wise and good so that again in the words of John Newton, 'If it were possible for me to alter any part of his plan, I could only spoil it.'"

--Jerry Bridges, Trusting God, p.199

I got this from my favorite blog, http://www.girltalkhome.com/blog, They have great stuff on fear and anxiety if you click on the links on the right. For a while they were doing a segment on motherhood and anxiety, and although I obviously didn't relate to some of it, I couldn't believe how relevant it was for some of the things I was struggling with and that I could easily insert my classes, grades, or future into what she was talking about with children. Very convicting and comforting at the same time =). (It is a lady named Carloyn Mahaney and her three daughters that write the blog and one of the daughters takes a pic everyday and it is fun to get to know their families through that as well!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ever since moving away from my friends and family, I've been having major anxiety problems. Corrie ten Boom wrote quite a bit about worry...

"Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength - carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of it's sorrow, it empties today of it's strength."

"Any concern too small to be turned into prayer is too small to be made into a burden."

"Worry is a cycle of inefficient throughts whirling around a center of fear."

And then there's good ol' Francis Chan who convicts to my core. :)

"Both worry and stress reek of arrogance."

I started listening through Mars Hill's Luke sermon series and came across this:

"Mary is in a season of her life where she has a lot that she could be worrying about. And rather than worrying, we find her worshiping. So that’s what we read in Luke 1:46-49. The first thing I want you to learn from the example of Mary is to replace worrying with worshiping. Now, it’s okay to be concerned about your life, and to make plans for your future. But Jesus says do not worry. And then people wonder, “Well, if I shouldn’t worry, what should I do?” Worship. Take all of that energy and impetus and put it toward worship. Mary does."

Hopefully some of that helps. <3
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_worry-worry-worry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:8f93ba45-6702-4caa-9124-0dafc37929e5Post:7f964015-ee28-48ce-8eb8-6a75ed37865e">Re: worry worry worry...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooh, also there's a cute song that always makes me laugh. It runs through my head whenever I start worrying. ;) It's called The Worry Song by Gene Kelly. (The song actually starts at about 1:18, but the video is fun.) <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i5jh_tom-jerry-with-gene-kelly_music" rel='nofollow'>http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i5jh_tom-jerry-with-gene-kelly_music</a>
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

This video rocks!!  I LOVE Gene Kelly.  :) 

And I also agree with Jeremiah 29:11 - so azdancer took my post.  :P

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    The ones I was thinking of were already mentioned, so no verses or quotes from me, BUT... just remember that God's will will be done in all of our lives and everything that happens is a part of His plan. Whether you worry or not, whatever is meant to happen will happen. So try to wake up each morning and thank God for the day, take it one day at a time and trust Him- he loves you and will not put you through anything you can't handle. 
  • seventh7altoseventh7alto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for those quotes, mrandmrsbrist. Those were helpful.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You have some great tips on things to meditate on, just wanted to share a few practical tips that have helped me.

My dad and I developed a sort of tradition when I used to freak out about stuff in college. Whenever I got very anxious I would call him up and he'd pray with with me. It was short and sweet and a two minute phone call (cause sometimes I felt I couldn't spare the time for a lengthy conversation) but it helped and I think knowing that if I was having a cruddy day I could always do that helped too.

And don't underestimate the power of music, a lot of the Psalms are about bringing out hopes, dreams, fears to God and I think we realy lost something when we lost the music to them, but there are some great hymns/worship songs out there.
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_worry-worry-worry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:8f93ba45-6702-4caa-9124-0dafc37929e5Post:58e9dc28-f05c-4497-b828-a914969efbf3">Re: worry worry worry...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for those quotes, mrandmrsbrist. Those were helpful.
    Posted by seventh7alto[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. :) I keep them in my phone and read them whenver I started to freak out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards