Latino Weddings
Options

First Dance/ ceremony

We are getting married in Puerto plata, DR (our fams are from there) out of our 40 guests 2 do no speak spanish. So we wanted to do El poder de tu amor by Ricardo montaner as the first dance but I dont know if that would be weird to the 2 guests that dont speak spanish... One is married to a puerto rican and the other is BILs FI... Also for ur ceremony at the church Its going to be in spanish, what should we do about the guests that are non-spanish speaking... i feel like it would be awkward to have everything translated since almost all the guests speak spanish... Any suggestions?
- And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a thousand years...I'll love you for a thousand more. Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers imageimage

Re: First Dance/ ceremony

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_first-dance-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:26704fa8-7e6d-4b20-9e9f-4b9398a8f51ePost:8590722a-273c-4af4-b4e9-8da67652bc02">First Dance/ ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are getting married in Puerto plata, DR (our fams are from there) out of our 40 guests 2 do no speak spanish. So we wanted to do El poder de tu amor by Ricardo montaner as the first dance but I dont know if that would be weird to the 2 guests that dont speak spanish... One is married to a puerto rican and the other is BILs FI... Also for ur ceremony at the church Its going to be in spanish, what should we do about the guests that are non-spanish speaking... i feel like it would be awkward to have everything translated since almost all the guests speak spanish... Any suggestions?
    Posted by XML&MrP[/QUOTE]

I think you are fine with the song - it's music and its the first dance (they should be able to appreciate it).

As far as the ceremony goes, I think it would be courteous to let them know that the entire service with be in Spanish whether in the invitation or just giving those particular guests a call.
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    I know how you feel, I'm practically in the same situation! Originally there were supposed to be more English speaking and bilingual guests but so far I'm down to basically one English speaking guest right now lol. Also we planned on incorporating this bilingual theme as a sort of representation of what our relationship is like. I'm Hispanic but raised in the US and FI was raised and lives in his native country.

ANYWAY as far as the first dance song goes, PP is right. Music is music. Not to mention I'd hardly think they'll be shocked or hurt to see that the first dance song of a Hispanic couple, in a Spanish speaking country... is in *gasp* Spanish lol. It'll be fine! :)

As for the ceremony, I understand your frustrations really! I'm considering still going with my original plan of having bilingual programs that highlight the most important parts (I don't mean a full translation of the whole dialogue!) and include usual program stuff. OR my other option is to skip it. Just like your 2 English speaking guests, my one guest knows what she's getting herself into. She's going to a ceremony in a Spanish speaking country and it is highly likely that there won't be much translation. I'm sure she's figured out how to deal with this. So don't worry. It's nice you want to make them comfortable but I really do think they won't have as many problems as you think they will. GL!

Edit: Btw, that's really exciting about your wedding in Puerto Plata! My mom is from DR too! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards