Christian Weddings

Who's your koumbaros? (Orthodox Christian weddings)

I originally posted this on the Wedding Party board, but people suggested this forum might be better:

Just out of curiosity, for those having Orthodox Christian weddings, who are you selecting to be your koumbaros?  A close relative?  A good friend?  Someone who is a role model who can be a spiritual adviser?

Re: Who's your koumbaros? (Orthodox Christian weddings)

• On_Cloud_NineOn_Cloud_Nine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of that before, but I'm not Orthodox either. Could you explain what a koumbaros does? Maybe if we know what part they play in a marriage ceremony, we can sy what/who we would most likely pick for that part. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am Serbian Orthodox and my fiance is half/Jewish/half Catholic and I would like to get married in the Orthodox church, however I do not have any male relatives/ friends to be a kum (or koumbaros in Greek). Anybody been able to do a ceremony without?
    Anniversary
  • peggycmykpeggycmyk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the Greek Orthodox Church you can choose a man or a woman to be your koumbaro(a). We chose my fiance's godson. That sounds funny, but his godson is a grown man who converted to Orthodoxy over ten years ago.

On_Cloud_Nine, a koumbaro (male) or koubara (female) is basically a sponsor. Many people choose this role to be the same person as the best man or maid of honor. You can choose to have two sponsors, but only one is required. That person must be Orthodox because they are sponsoring your wedding in an Orthodox Church and they should have a spiritual connection to the couple. The koumbaro (a) also generally goes on to be the godparent of the couple's first born.

Cherrycokee99, can you have a female? I believe a koumbaro(a) is required.
  • edited December 2011
     we decided on one of his friends for being our koumbaro

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • nadioulanadioula member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am Greek and the Koumbaros (male) or Koumbara (female) is kind of like the best man or maid of honor. The person (could be more than one: a couple or 2 people unrelated) that the couple chooses to be their Koumbaros is usually the best friend of the groom's or the bride's or someone they are related to. The idea is to be a person that the couple trusts to complete their union.
    That person has to pay for the "stefana" (kind of tiaras that the couple wears on their heads and unite them) which he/she gets to swap 3 times between the couple. The koumbaros also gets to put the wedding rings in the couple's fingers during the ceremony as the priest blesses them. At the end, the Koumbaros is very important in the wedding ceremony in the Greek Orthodox religion and tradition. He also gets to sit in the wedding table and is almost as important as the wedding couple.
    Choose wisely 'cause that person is supposed to be the "keeper" of your marriage's well being!
  • edited December 2011
    My godmother will be the koumbara. The reason I chose her, besides the fact that I love her dearly, is she has such a wonderful marriage and an amazing family.
  • Ajoy128Ajoy128 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can brothers be koumbaro for each others weddings?
  • Ajoy128Ajoy128 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can brothers be koumbaro for each others weddings?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards