Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Traveling Question

We are going to St Lucia for our honeymoon and our flight originally involved going to Atlanta, having a 45 minute layover, and then getting on a flight to St Lucia.  Now that second flight has changed and the layover will only be 35 minutes.  Which I know is cutting it close if there is a delay or anything.  But the next flight would be an overnight, so I really want to make this one work if I can.  Those who travel, do you think 35 minutes is enough time?  And what happens if one of your flights is delayed and you miss the second plane?  Do they put you on another flight or are you just out of luck?  Thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

Re: Traveling Question

• Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While this has never happened to me, I've been on flights were others were antsy about this happening to them.  If it was a little closer in time, they might actually wait for you (I've heard the stewardesses tell other passengers this).  While we can all tell you our personal experiences, it might be best to call the airline and see what they recommend.  You have enough time before your trip and, while I know you're wanting us to give you a definite answer, each airline has a different policy. 
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    35 mins is BARELY enough time.  In fact, it's considered an "illegal layover" if its less than 30 mins.  They're not supposed to book any less than 30 min layovers.  Just be careful.. what if your flight is delayed?  What if your flight takes longer in air?  I think you should be okay but make sure there's a back up plan... just in case.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My brother just had this issue.  His flight was late leaving DFW, which made him miss his connection.  They put him on the next available flight, which was about 5 hours later.  It sucked, but that sounds like it would be less time then what you would have to wait (overnight).

35 mins is cutting it close, especially if you have to go to another terminal (which would be by that train in the ATL airport).  Good Luck!!
  • Options
    bethlovesjimbethlovesjim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

YAY! St. Lucia!   That was on our radar when we were searching for our honeymoon.  It looks so pretty there!

FI and I travel a lot, and we usually have connecting flights. And about 80% of the time there is a delay.  We have never missed a flight (well, except for this one time at 6am, but thats because we were only 1 hour early for out 1st flight, when we should have been 2 hours early... terrible story)

If your flights are all with the same airline, then there will be no problem. Just make sure that the people at the counter understand your concerns, and they will tell you "they will wait for you"
    However, if for some reason the flight is hour(s) late, they will put you on the next flight (the late night flight I guess)

My advice to you is know where the connecting gate is. tell the flight attendent as you get on the plane that your connecting flight is going out right after you land, and its at "gate __".  She may let you off the plane first, and can give you directions to get to the gate.

I wouldnt worry about it.  The airlines deal with connections all day everyday.

hope that helps!

first camping trip engagement
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Julie, call the airline to see.

There are a lot of factors.  Did you book this all on the same itinerary or separately?  Is it a connection or do you de-plane and have to run to another terminal gate? Do you have to get your bags and go through security again? (I know this is unlikely, but I've seen people do it)

I'd be really nervous about the time unless it is a connecting flight (i.e. you stay on the plane and some people get off, while others get on).   35 minutes is really not enough time at any airport.

If you miss your connection then they will bump you to the next flight, space available.  It could result in you going on the overnight flight or even a flight the next day.   Not good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    See I would assume Sarah's flight (I'm sorry, I'm talking about you in the 3rd person) is on Delta since she's going to Atlanta first and I would think that most of us (well, I know some of you) fly American almost exclusively so American's policy may be different than Delta's policy.  But I have heard them tell other passengers "They are waiting for you".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I swear I know nothing about flying :-p  I haven't been on a plane in forever!  Here is what our flight information originally was. 

Delta Air Lines flight 2710 Sunday April 17, 2011 Published Total Outbound Duration 7 hrs. 20 mins.     

5:45 AM Depart Dallas / Ft. Worth , Tx 9:00 AM Arrive Atlanta, Ga 0 stops 2 hrs. 15 mins. Connection 0 hr. 40 mins.

2 Seats, Coach, L Class, Refreshments for Purchase, No Smoking, Mcdonnell Douglas Md - 88

Delta Air Lines flight 421 Sunday April 17, 2011 Published

9:40 AM Depart Atlanta , Ga 2:05 PM Arrive St. Lucia / Hewanorra 0 stops 4 hrs. 25 mins.

2 Seats, Coach, L Class, Food for Purchase, Movie, No Smoking, Boeing 737-800

So what does that mean when it says connection time?  Is that the same as layover time?

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and make no mistake... they generally don't wait for you.  

They will hold the doors as long as they can, but they are required to get the plane out of the gate on time or they get penalized.  

I've seen this happen a lot when I'm waiting as a standby person.  People come literally running through the terminal to make it on time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I used to be a flight attendant and was based in Atlanta.  That airport is really big, and 35 minutes is cutting it close. ( the plane needs to park and then everyone needs to deplane)  Everything would need to be on-time to a T.  I'm assuming that you have to go to a different concourse for the St. lucia flight in writing this.  Not trying to be a Negative Nelly, but being honest about it.   

But I do agree with PP in calling the airlines to check on their specific policy.  They generally will book you on the next available flight, but make sure and check with the airline ahead of time.

Is there anyway yall can get a earlier flight to Atlanta??  Even if you have to sit in the airport for a few hours, it may be worth it. 
    HTH Smile

Edit: In working for then for 3 years, I've never seem them hold a flight for anyone. Its so busy there, they need to clear the parking spot for the next airplane.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Definitely a different plane...but it looks like they will change your bags over and all that.

That' s a good sign.

Julie is right.  I would just call Delta and ask their policy.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I fly ALL the time!! 35 mins is cutting it a little close in my opinion. Even if you arrive on time you have to think about getting off the plane (with everyone in the way) getting to your gate (I've been in ATL airport and found it confusing) then board that flight!
    Call AA and see if the your flights are on the same plane. If it is you have NO problem. You just stay in your seat. If not then you may want to see what they can do to change it.
    If you miss your flight they put you on the next avaliable if they have room! Recently I've noticed AA is overbooking their flights so you would more then likely be on standby and you might get on you might not. Then you roll over into the next flight.
    Personally, I would check about the plane and if they are different I would change my flights. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION! All this is from experience none of it is fact!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HI.  I am OMH lurker.  I keep my eye on this forum for great travel ideas so this post caught my eye.  Unfortunately, I have a honeymoon horror story about traveling to St. Lucia.  We left DFW for a connection in Miami with an expected layover of about 1:15.  One thing led to another and we were late leaving so our layover was cut down to about 20 minutes. Luckily, we made the plane with literally seconds to spare, but our luggage didn't.  Since St. Lucia will only get one flight a day from your airline you will not get your luggage until the next day and it will be LATE when you get it.  This means you get to spend the first 48 hours in random clothes and crossing your fingers that your luggage makes it.  Sure, we laugh about it now, but it was not funny or fun then and really put a damper on the first part of our honeymoon.

So I do think you will make the flight, but I suggest you pack a serious carry on with all of your basic needs.

(If you are staying at a Sandals property, they do have a gift shop, but it is expensive, not well stocked and the clothing choices are laughable!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Deepthi - the plane is different.  First one is a 737, second one is a MD-80.

Sara - Funny that you mention that, I know a couple that lost their luggage going there as well....and had a really significant delay.  

Sarah - Make sure you pack some flip flops and a swim suit in your carry on.. just in case! :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sarah, I'm totally late to this. But you know DH and I went to St. Lucia, and only had 30 minutes between our connecting flights. We made them just fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It beats having to stay overnight. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone!  I knew it would be cutting it close, but if there was any way to do it, I wanted to try!  All Delta planes would be in the same terminal correct?

I am going to call Delta and also see about an earlier flight to Atlanta! 

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_traveling-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:65372ff8-41a6-4474-87be-9724a14a12fcPost:322a3028-46aa-4dc9-8835-0c2dece49411">Re: Traveling Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sarah, I'm totally late to this. But you know DH and I went to St. Lucia, and only had 30 minutes between our connecting flights. We made them just fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It beats having to stay overnight. 
    Posted by NMac2010[/QUOTE]

What airport did you go through?  Did you get your luggage and everything the same day?

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, as a frequent traveler 35 min is not enough. The biggest concern is going to be your luggage. If you have to run to make your connection then your luggage will not make it. Period. Also consider that they start boadring 30 min before, and they typically pull away from the gate 10 min before (if they are on time)

Definitely call the airline, but i would try to get an earlier flight if at all possible.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_traveling-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:65372ff8-41a6-4474-87be-9724a14a12fcPost:d206594d-71c7-4439-97dc-11a78498cf5d">Re: Traveling Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Traveling Question : What airport did you go through?  Did you get your luggage and everything the same day?
    Posted by sparklingdiamond[/QUOTE]

<div>We connected in Miami, both ways. And yes we got our bags the same day. We checked 2 bags, and carried on the others. </div><div>
    </div><div>We had to walk pretty briskly through the airport to make our connections, but it was well worth it. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_traveling-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:65372ff8-41a6-4474-87be-9724a14a12fcPost:fe4d2837-0eb3-491c-b1b1-1b9097fe855f">Re: Traveling Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, as a frequent traveler 35 min is not enough. The biggest concern is going to be your luggage. If you have to run to make your connection then your luggage will not make it. Period. Also consider that they start boadring 30 min before, and they typically pull away from the gate 10 min before (if they are on time) Definitely call the airline, but i would try to get an earlier flight if at all possible. Good luck!
    Posted by ILoveSnelly[/QUOTE]

<div>We didn't have any problems with our luggage making it onto our connecting flights. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: But, if you're worried about it, I took a small suitcase as one of my carry-on's, and so did DH. We both packed a good amount of clothes and necessities in those bags. Because I didn't want to take the chance of losing anything I needed in my checked bags. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, definitely pack some of your essentials in your carryons--just remember the liquids rule.  I would definitely get some travel sizes--Clinique has given me small samples in the past when I mentioned I was going on a trip while buying make up.  Always so nice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, because St. Lucia won't have a Wal-Mart where you can go buy makeup, or makeup remover, or facewash if your bag gets lost. You'll be SOL. 

The problem is though, you can't carry any of that stuff on the plane unless it's in a particular size bottle or smaller and in a clear container. So, that can kind of be a hassle. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am willing to risk it, but my FI is not.  :-/  So we have to find an alternative....which probably means the overnight flight.  :-(

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's ok Sarah. One way or another, you'll end up in St. Lucia. And it's well worth the wait no matter how you get there!!! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_traveling-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:65372ff8-41a6-4474-87be-9724a14a12fcPost:28d3b949-733d-4081-b8be-ef8f99320935">Re: Traveling Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's ok Sarah. One way or another, you'll end up in St. Lucia. And it's well worth the wait no matter how you get there!!! :)
    Posted by NMac2010[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  That makes me feel better!  :-)  I can't wait to go!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    According to my friend who goes to Mexico every year, if you put it in the little baggie, no matter the size, it should be okay.

Sarah,
    Can you guys leave on Saturday night, late? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Julie, I tried looking into that but the latest flight they have on Saturday night is at 9:45, which is still while our wedding is going on.  I was hoping they would have like a midnight flight or something, but no such luck! :-( 

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_traveling-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:65372ff8-41a6-4474-87be-9724a14a12fcPost:22aca501-2393-484f-8d48-6d1931606844">Re: Traveling Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to my friend who goes to Mexico every year, if y<strong>ou put it in the little baggie, no matter the size, it should be okay</strong>. Sarah, Can you guys leave on Saturday night, late? 
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

I would not risk this. Anytime I have traveled I have seen them throwing away things that were over the size limit...with the exception of something that was almost empty. Maybe if it wasn't noticably bigger...But..i would still make sure you packed extras in your suitcase!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards