Michigan-Detroit
Options

Tips about the Knot

I am putting together something to post for newcomers to our boards.  What tips do you think should be included?  Anything you wish you knew when you started posting or planning?  
Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Tips about the Knot

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Tip #1: Read all sticky posts at the top before asking about vendors and vendor reviews.

Tip #2: Don't be upset that no one else is as excited for your wedding as you are. That's what The Knot is for! We are truly excited for everyone!

Tip #3: Don't ask for opinions unless you want the truth.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tip #4: Introduce yourself to everyone! Share your wedding plans. We love details!
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stebbe, another thought...should we start a new vendor sticky thread?  First of all, some of the people who posted there might not be posting anymore so it will refresh it with current Knotties.  Secondly, we are missing some vendors on there that seem to have a recurring theme -- alterations, save the dates, invites, ceremony music...  Maybe we should put together a comprehensive list of all vendors and start a new thread.  Also, is it worthwhile to add info like prices into that thread?  It could get kind of long, but it might be a better resource for newbies.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011

I agree with Corinne, we should request newbies to make an intro. 

A few more things:

• Lurk before posting!  Look through the other posts first -- it's very possible your question has been answered in another recent thread.
    • If you're looking for feedback on a certain vendor, post the vendor's name in that thread so we can help you better.
    • Make sure to specify your price range, locations, number of guests, etc. when asking for recommendations on vendors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We could start a new vendor sticky with more vendors included in the list.  What all do you think should be included? 
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    I took the current list and added a few.  Am I missing any?

Ceremony
    Ceremony Site
    Officiant
    Ceremony Music

Reception
    Reception Site
    Caterer
    Chair Covers/Linens
    Bakery
    DJ
    Favors
    Lighting

Other
    Limo
    Florist
    DOC
    Miscellaneous equipment

Photography
    Photographer
    Videographer
    Photobooth

Beauty / Attire
    Rings
    Wedding dress
    Alterations
    Tuxes
    Bridesmaid Dresses
    Hair
    Makeup

Paper
    Save the Dates
    Invites
    Programs/Menus

Also, is it over-ambitious to try and encourage people to put prices in here somewhere?  I know this is a long list, but I feel like it will be more value-added.
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Julie's list. Would it be too much work to do this by area? It seems like the same questions get asked A LOT, but for different cities.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it might be a lot just for a sticky to do it by area.  If someone wanted to create a web page for it then that would work better.  

I think we could put something in there about price if people wanted to add that in then they could.  Once you guys come up with a finalized list let me know and I will post it.  For now its off to work though! 
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    One more thing....  (sorry, I'm full of ideas today)  Maybe title the sticky threads a little more obvious.  For example

Change "Welcome to the Knot" to "Welcome, read this before posting!" 
    Change "POLL: Who are your vendors??" to "Vendors and Pricing"
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    What if for each of the vendors, we put their locations and prices.  I will do mine as an example....give me a minute.
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    Ceremony
    Ceremony Site - Kellogg Park, Plymouth, $200 to use park
    Officiant - Reverend Carl Vogler, Sterling Heights, $375
    Ceremony Music - Go 4 Baroque, Canton, $425

Reception
    Reception Site - Meeting House Grand Ballroom, Plymouth, price varies
    Caterer - N/A
    Chair Covers/Linens - using our venue's linens
    Bakery - Elite Sweets, Livonia, $500 for 250 people
    DJ - Brendan Pfaff Best DJ, Warren, $800
    Favors - www.nicepricefavors.com, online, ~1.25 per favor
    Lighting - N/A

Other
    Limo - N/A
    Florist - Liz from Parsonage, Clarkson, final price TBD
    DOC - Jill from Simplicity, location unknown, $300 for day of coordination
    Miscellaneous equipment - chairs for ceremony from Your Event Party Rental, Plymouth, $500 for 250 chairs, arch, and podium

Photography
    Photographer - Chuck Cloud, Rochester Hills, $1,650
    Videographer - N/A
    Photobooth - Amanda Williams Photobooth, location unknown, $700

Beauty / Attire
    Rings - Diamond Castle, Novi, prices vary
    Wedding dress - B'Ella Bridal, Ann Arbor, prices vary
    Alterations - Bella Alterations, Livonia, prices vary
    Tuxes - Men's Warehouse, Livonia, ~$150/tux
    Bridesmaid Dresses - J Crew, online, $80/dress
    Hair - Evan Michael Salon, Livonia, prices vary
    Makeup - family friend

Paper
    Save the Dates - www.magnetstreet.com, online, $200 for 200 STDs
    Invites - Invites & More, Saginaw, $400 for 200 invites
    Programs/Menus - www.vistaprint.com, online, $50 for 250 programs
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    It's long, and can be a bit overwhelming.  But I think it answers some of the repeat questions we've been seeing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Oh my goodness Julie you are a machine!  I love it though I think it would be SO helpful.  Why did no one think of this about 10 months ago??

I agree with the other tips and I think it might be good to add a little Knottie Ettiquite section.  I know I have seen this floating around but its always good for newbies to read.

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Julie, you are so great and organized! I think this will eliminate a lot of the redundant questions.

I agree with all the above. I think it would be too hard to set it up geographically, but by putting the location in, it helps. Most vendors (aside from venues) travel to where the wedding is, but may have a travel expense.

Also, maybe in the photography section add where the engagement pics were taken.

You can leave it up to the poster to put in what they want, maybe a range of $/pp for caterers, etc.

Then at the end the poster can indicate if they have pics in their knottie bio or personal bio, with website.

Also, in your initial post, you can mention that the posters come back periodically and UPDATE via edit their info as more vendors are added. Then, they can come back and just grade the vendors after the wedding instead of going through the work again posting a new post.

Also explain the "search" feature at the bottom of the board. It really does work if you enter the right info, ie name of vendor or topic.

Explain the abbreviations, plus if they see something they want further info on in the vendor sticky, it's preferable to "page" the person and send a PM than to just ask general questions.

I think this will be a nice update to the board's stickies. Kind of ilke redecorating your house, LOL.
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    One more vendor idea -- rehersal dinner and/or shower locations.  I see a lot of requests for those so this could help...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You ladies are amazing! I love all of this.  I also think in th wedding section you should encourage people to read the welcome area about the messages boards.  I didn't when I first started.  I was just excited to get going, and I was lost with the acroynms that were being used!  Just a suggestion.  Love everything everyone has said!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards