South Asian Weddings
Options

Bridesmaids

Hey Girls....
I cant remember if we talked about this already... but.....I was reading about bridesmaid in the ettiquette forum and I was wondering about the south asian knotties...

Do you have/want/had bridesmaids for your wedding?

How much have they helped you?  Did you ask for your help alot?  Have they offered?  Did you expect certain things from them?  Did they go above and beyond their 'call of duty'?

Did they attend all of your events?

Did you gift them with anything? Did they gift you? (wedding / bridal shower / bach)

Has your friendship changed at all?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaids

• Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, to be fair, bridesmaids only REAL role is to stand up in your wedding. They do not have to, however, take on any role of helping. I think a lot of people confuse the two. You ask them to stand up and support your choice by marrying the person you do. If you have really nice friends who offer to help, that's great, but you are really not supposed to delegate jobs to them as that's not considered polite...especially on TK. A lot of the ladies on the boards will tell you that they are there to stand up in your wedding, maybe give a speech, and support you in general on your big day, but, they are not there to do work for you unless they volunteer. 

I do have some. They are my closest friends from growing up. My Mom thought I would include my cousins - we are not close and hardly speak, so no.

I think they will help because they want to help - I am sure by that time, I will be the first of us to get married.

Although only one of them is Indian, they will be invited to everything. And yes, I will give them a gift, of course. Usually, Indian people (or more often, I should say) gift them with the sari they will wear at the wedding or the jewelry to match it. I'm going to go with the latter. In that case, the jewelry will be useful after the wedding as well.

• Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Sonali,

My two younger sisters wiill be my BMs, maybe another friend but that's about it.  My plan is to gift them with a gift card to a spa or something and something like a bracelet from Tiffanys. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you have/want/had bridesmaids for your wedding? Yes I do, 6 BM's and 1 MOH (my sister)

How much have they helped you?  Did you ask for your help alot?  Have they offered?  Did you expect certain things from them?  Did they go above and beyond their 'call of duty'? Two of my BM's have helped with decision making and support and ideas and planning my shower and providing things for it while MOH has done a load

Did they attend all of your events? One of them cant attend my mehndi (she is likely pregnant teehe) but all rest will be coming days before wedding

Did you gift them with anything? Did they gift you? (wedding / bridal shower / bach) I am gifting them wedding sarees, and on day of wedding I am gifting them gift sets and jewelry. I havent had my shower yet to see who all is gifting but I am not concerned, I am glad to spend time with them.

Has your friendship changed at all? My friendship has if that improved with my BM's because of the increase support  provided by them during this crazy time of wedding planning. What would I do with my girls?!!!, they give me prespective and ease my mind and I feel its a honor to have them at the wedding!!!
  • Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So far, we have only gone to one bridal show together. Me, two of the girls / their Mom (we have been friends since childhood and know their Mom quite well), and another one of my future BMs, as well as my Mom. It was a fun experience. They gave honest opinions and they kept creativity flowing. They are also pretty good at making sure I focus on what's important! Not the crazy, overwhelming details!
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So... where do the BMs stand or do they?  Are they outside of the mandap, or sitting in the audience?

We didn't have bridesmaids, but my cousin out of state, and a very good friend helped with a lot of the DIY favors, getting me all ready etc - I took them out, and got them manicures, pedicures for the wedding :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards