Military Brides
Options

Post Wedding Party

We are moving (FI is in the Air Force) a little less than two weeks after our small wedding (just our parents and siblings) .
Would it be rude to have a big BBQ going away type party (which is obviously not an occasion with gift giving) with all our friends and family (even those who were not invited to the wedding) so soon after the wedding date?

ps. We are planning it two nights before we leave at his family's house.

Re: Post Wedding Party

• Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think as long as you explain through word of mouth that y'all are not expecting gifts, you're good to go.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say yes, but make sure everyone knows its not wedding related. It sounds like it isn't, that you just want to see your friends and family before you move.

Just make that clear. It's a goodbye dinner so you can see everyone at one time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So long as it is completely unrelated to the wedding and just a farewell party, then it's completely unrelated and it doesn't matter how long ago the wedding was as far as I'm concerned.

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. Life goes on after a wedding, and part of life is taking time to say good-bye to people who are important to you.

Maybe its just in my area, but a lot of people I know do a small intimate family wedding and have another big bash a few weeks down the road with their social friends to celebrate the wedding. Its a given in our circle at least, that it is not a gift giving thing, but a party to celebrate.  So for me, what you're doing is not even questionable....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the rest - sounds good to me, it's something totally different. A going away party is a great way to say goodbye to everybody!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards