Not Engaged Yet
Options

Guide to NEY: By-Laws and Dictionary

Seeing as we've suddenly had an influx of newbies as of late (along with an occasional regular catching BSC Syndrome), I've decided to update the board's unofficial by-laws and dictionary, as well as consolidate it into one post. 

So, in an effort to guide some of our new girls in posting on NEY and not getting ripped to shreds or labeled MUD/BSC/bebe, and avoid one more "what does <insert term here /> mean?" post, here are some unofficial bylaws for posting on NEY, as well as a dictionary of terms commonly used on our board, as well as Knottie boards in general. Use them, and use them well.

NYE Board By-Laws (courtesy of oceana919)

#1. If you're new here, do like you would on any board and lurk first. Get a feel for how the board dynamics work before you post. If you shoot right out of the door with replying to a random board (particularly a NEY veteran) with a snarky reply, you'll get flamed faster than a steak on a BBQ. Lurk a while, get used to how it works, then introduce yourself. We're all pretty nice here, and welcome newcomers.

#2. Some advice on selecting screennames:

- Do not use a screenname that has your first and last name. You may be subjected to Googling, stalking by BSC people, or get nailed by vendors-in-disguise.
- Do not use your email address as your screenname. It can open you up to stalking and vendor-nailing. Besides, in this day and age, it's just not safe.
- If you use a screenname that you have for other accounts (myspace, okcupid, etc.) and you post something stupid, people may Google you and post other asinine things you've said in the past. Therefore, think before you name.
- Screennames that imply that you belong to someone (eg. "bradsjanet", "rickysgirl") are just plain creepy and will likely get flamed.
- Screennames that contain the words "diva", "princess", "queen", "gurl", "chickie", "cutie", "baby" or the like are often fodder for other Knotties. Fair warning.

#3. If you're unsure of a term or reference on the board, check this page, or click on the badges on any of our girls siggie labeled "check the dictionary". That's why this whole thing is here. If you post "what does MUD mean?", you've just given yourself the newb label. Congrats.

#4. If you ask for advice, take advice gracefully. If you answer well-thought-out /genuine/respectful replies with phrases like "you don't know me/us" or "I don't have to justify myself/us to any of you", you open yourself up to flaming. You came on here asking for our advice, sweetheart...don't go hostile if you don't get the particular advice you wanted to hear. 95% of the time, people will respond with genuine, well-thought advice not intented to insult you, but rather to help. If you go hostile because we don't pat you on the head and hand you a lollipop, you get what's coming to you. If you want rainbows and puppies, you should go to a different site.

#5. Don't DD (dirty delete). If you don't like the responses you get, explain yourself/discuss them with posters, or just move on. By deleting your post in a fit of self-righteous temper tantrum, you've now a) completely pissed off the posters that actually took the time to give you articulate, well-founded, and/or well-thought-out opinions and advice, b) removed the possibility that another newbie in a similar situation as yours could gain any insight or information that could be of help to them, and c) immediately gotten yourself labeled as a beebee and ruined all chances of you being taken seriously on this board ever again.

#6. If you would like to respond to comments on a thread you created, please make those comments on the thread you created. You don't need to start a whole new thread - all that will do is confuse everyone on the board as to what you're talking about, and force us to have to troll through the board to find your old post. Besides, everyone who commented will be checking back to your original post to see what you have to say.

#7. If you come on here and say that you're planning a wedding but aren't "officially engaged", be sure to clarify. If you don't, you're likely to elicit many responses consisting of "congrats! you're engaged!"  and "you can get engaged without a ring" and will be forced to clarify anyways.

#8. That being said, if you run on here and introduce yourself by telling us how you're not "officially" engaged yet, but you have your wedding planned down to the wording on the favor cards, you will be labeled BSC. Every girl dreams of her wedding, and has ideas as to what she wants. There is a difference between having ideas, and planning every last detail without your BF/FI's consent or knowledge.

#9. Do not use phrases "I'm mature for my age", "he's the most sweetest", "I'm still in high school", "we've been together 2 months", "he's been engaged 5 times", "no one understands us", or "but we're different". You will immediately be labeled BSC, MUD, or a bebe.

#10. If you're under the age of, say, 22, are still in high school, or have been with your BF for less than a year, you will be encouraged by many of our ladies to slow down, take your time, wait until you're older/more mature/have been together longer. If you disagree, the best response to this advice is something along the lines of "I appreciate your advice, but respectfully disagree". If you say any of the following, you are fair game:

• "I act more mature than other girls my age"
  • "I'm different because I'm in honors society/I had a hard life/etc."
  • "You guys just don't understand me"

Heads up - every girl 16-19 thinks she's more mature than all the other girls their age, even if they aren't. Being an honors student isn't a guaranteed ticket to maturity - especially given that approximately 20% of every high school class carries that distinction. A sash doesn't make you different, sweetheart, it just makes you decorated. A hard life doesn't do it either - everyone has hardships in life. Either you learn from them, or you use them as a crutch. Move on.

If you want us to believe you're so mature, prove your maturity. We'll be sure to treat you accordingly when you do.

#11. Don't be nasty to a veteran/board usual. Very very very bad idea. NYE-ers tend to stick together, even after they get engaged. A lot of us have been on here for months/years, and have seen each other through the anticipation of engagements, weddings, breakups, deaths in the family, pregnancies, miscarriages, etc. Verbally b*slapping one of our usuals because you don't like her response to your post is guarenteed to get you flamed and make you the subject of subsequent board inside jokes ("I'm growner than I am" or surprise icerink weddings, anyone?!?). Posting an entire thread oh-snapping one or more of our vets will really get you in trouble (right, puffin?).

#12. Don't go crying to other boards if you don't get the responses you want here. All that's likely to do is get you flamed on that board and this board.

#13. Be kind, respectful, supportive, and open to advice. Don't be whiny, bitchy, self-entitled, snobby, or arrogant. You'll get what you give on this board. 

#14. Mutley has every right to be stabby, pregnancy hormones or not. Her stabbiness is one of the many things we love and respect about her here on NEY. Calling her out on her well-discretioned stabbiness only opens you up to more stabiness, likely from people other than Mutley. 

#15. It doesn't matter what she says, Jeanna is always right. Always.

NEY Dictionary (courtesy of jeannacorina, new additions by oceana)

-----------------------Technichal Jargon-----------------------

NEY: Not Engaged (Yet)
The name of this forum.

PP - Previous Poster
People who posted before you.

OP - Original Poster
Person who started the thread.

BSC: Bat Sh!t Crazy
NOT a good thing. This usually involves ice-skating rink surprise weddings, or buying a wedding dress online without trying it on or even being engaged. Basically, planning your wedding without your BF knowing about it is BSC.

MUD: Made Up Drama
This is when someone decides to have a little fun at everyone's expense and fabricate an elaborate story that isn't entirely true. If someone says they think your post is MUD, that pretty much means you sound too bizarre to be real.

PIP: Picture In Post
Adding a picture directly to a post instead of posting it url. It's nice to do this, so that people don't have to click unfamiliar links.

NSFW: Not Safe For Work
May contain very interesting things, but also nudity, grossness, or cursing. Open at your own risk!

DD: Dirty Delete

When someone posts asking for advice, gets responses they don't like, and deletes the whole thing; thus depriving anyone else from benefitting from the advice and insulting the people who spent the time to give it. Posts can no longer be deleted when they have replies, so DDing isn't very common.

YGM: You've Got Mail
Someone sent a private message or email.

S/O: Spin-Off
A post that originated in another thread but was so neat it needed its own.

F/U: Follow-Up
An update on an older thread. I always thought this meant f***ed up.

NWR: Not Wedding Related
Enough said.

Beebee
A form of "baby," usually meaning a poster who is not only new, but immature with a lot of misconceptions about relationships and marriage. If you are collectively deemed a "beebee", you will recieve a "beebee tiara" (see NEY Inside Jokes).

AW: Attention Wh*re

Someone who will do anything for attention. Good or bad. Doesn't matter. LOOK AT ME!!!

PW: Post Wh*re
Someone who posts just to increase their post count. They probably post in almost every discussion but don't add anything of value.

GBCK: Goodbye Cruel Knot
Usually used when someone makes a post to announce that they aren't posting anymore, presumably to get attention or elicit sympathy. Typically backfires, so it's not suggested that you use this method.

-----------------------Wedding-Related-----------------------

OOT: Out of Town

DW: Destination Wedding

MOH: Maid of Honor
The chick who puts up with all your wedding crap, probably because she loves you and realizes you're just temporarily insane.

BM: Bridesmaid
Sometimes confused with "bowel movement."

JOP: Justice Of the Peace
Where many of us wish we were going about halfway through the wedding planning process.

Bridezilla:

A bride who is taking it too far and being demanding and unreasonable. Like expecting ALL of your bridesmaids to drive 7 hours to your hometown for monthly wedding meetings. Then having your MOH b*tch them out when they can't make it, because you can't be bothered to speak to anyone.

Momzilla:
A mom or MIL who is taking it too far and being demanding/unreasonable, or is insistent on planning daughter/future daughter-in-law's entire wedding. Will often use guilt, anger, tears to achieve desired goals. Have been known use how much money they are contributing towards wedding, family obligations, and how rotten you were as a teenager as ammo.

Maidzilla:
A MOH or BM that is a total nightmare. Can manifest in many ways, including a) a MOH/BM who is insistent on turning the rest of your BP into their personal secretaries and/or controlling all details of wedding day preparations, bridal shower, bachelorette party, etc.; b) refusing to cooperate with any aspect of the wedding or reasonable request from the bride (e.g. insisting on wearing a different dress from everyone else, refusal to purchase affordable bm dress, refusing to return phone calls/emails, etc.), c) being a jealous nasty wench because for no other reason than you're getting married. You have probably debated kicking her out of the BP for your own sanity, but haven't because that's a major ettiquite no-no. If there was a television show called Maidzillas, you'd nominate her for it.

STD: Save the Date
Commonly mistaken for Sexually Transmitted Disease.

MOB: Mother of Bride

MOG: Mother of Groom

FMIL: Future Mother In Law
Also known as the devil.

FSIL: Future Sister In Law

FBIL: Future Brother In Law

FFIL: Future Father In Law

BF: Boyfriend
This is what you call him before he proposes.

FI: Fiance (male), Fiancee (female)
Please try to use the appropriate gender when spelling this out.

DH: Dear Husband
A nice way of saying "that guy I married who doesn't mow the lawn anymore."

DD: Dear Daughter

DS: Dear Son

-----------------------NEY Inside Jokes-----------------------

"I act growner than what I am"

Awesome quote from a lovely young lady who refused to use proper English (or anywhere near it) yet insisted that she was intelligent. She didn't like our advice.

"IT moment"
Referring to a past throw down between above-mentioned lovely young gramatically-challenged woman and the entire NEY board. If a newb enters the board and does any of the following, they will be referred to as having an "IT moment":

- Saying anything remotely resembling "I act growner than I am", "I'm mature for my age", or "y'all just don't understand me"
- Mentioning that you have a high school honors society sash/badge/button in your past as reference to your current intelligence level
- Using the term "haterz" in reference to anyone else on the board
- Accusing of us of being racist, simply because we don't happen to agree with you on something that has nothing to do with race
- Running to another board and complain about how mean we are

Engaugemint Chikkin: Engagement Chicken
This is a joke on the Knot. If you actually make an engagement chicken with the real hope of it making your boyfriend propose, please see the definition of BSC.

Engagement Chicken Cake:
The vegetarian alternative to engagement chicken, and much much funnier. Not in any way BSC. Rumor has it that just CONSIDERING making a chicken cake will cause your boyfriend to spontaneously propose.

Button's Buttons
One of our regulars, Buttons, is the queen of buttons. She literally can make any button for any person. Hence all the creative and hilarious buttons featured in NEY siggies. Her buttons will also often be used in lue of an actual comment, if a poster feels that a button says what they're thinking way more eloquently, or is so frustrated by OP that it's easier just to cut and paste a badge that says, "congrats, you're BSC" than it is to verbally express their opinions. To commandeer one of button's buttons, click here.

mojitos
A delicious beverage, favored by oceana. She will often pass you a virtual mojito when you're having a bad day.

"cheap wine"
Coined by jeannacorina and the favored alcoholic beverage of NEY. For more clarification, see peom below:

Oh, mojitos might be nice,
So is vodka over ice.
In college I did jell-o shots,
And daiquiris are great when it's hot.
But there's nothing I dig
More than what's in my fridge.
Yes, I like mudslides just fine
But nothing helps me unwind
Like a three-dollar bottle of wine!

"surprise ice rink wedding"
A sure-fire way to be labeled BSC. You plan a whole wedding on an ice rink for your BF and don't tell him about it. When he shows up, he'll (supposedly) be put on the spot so that he HAS to propose and marry you right then and there!

"surprise icerink engagement party"
Same as "surprise ice rink wedding", only with no pastor involved.

"engagement baby"
Unfortunately, we've had BSCers that have gotten the impression that a surefire way to get your BF to propose to you is to * accidentally * get preggers. Um, no, it doesn't - all it typically does is fractures what is often an already-screwed up relationship and puts an innocent baby in the middle of your mess. Not only will you be labeled BSC for that, but you'll have NEYers saying prayers for your future offspring.

"I agree with whatever Jeana just said"
Jeana is wise, level-headed, and sometimes even witty. Agreeing with her is a sign of awesome. You'll see this quote or badge in the signatures of very awesome people.

"there goes the SoBe"
Implication that something a previous poster has said has made the current poster laugh so hard that a beverage has come out his/her nose.

"Team (insert name)"
On the rare occasion that a newb (or even a veteran) picks an unwarranted fight with a board veteran, you will see "Team <insert name>" photos and badges begin to pop up both in the board and in poster siggies, or will simply see a "Team (insert name)" reply pop up on the thread.

"beebee tiara"
If you give the impression that you are under the age of 16, are still in high school, are incredibly niave about a marriage vs. a wedding, etc., or are just plain delusional, you will be termed a "beebee" (see Technical Jargon). Once this designation has been made, you will be bestowed by oceana with the "beebee tiara", seen here:

As you can see, it is very pink and very pretty, and will probably coordinate with the Disney Princess wedding you have worked out for yourself in your mind.

"Read the By-Laws"
If you see this badge pop up as a response to you or your thread...

...this typically implies that you have broken a bylaw and should really review them before posting again.

"elope count"
Term used by engaged NEY posters, as to how many times they've become so utterly frustrated by wedding planning, dealing with vendors, bridal party drama, etc. that they've threatened to elope.

VAP: Very Awesome Person
jeanna just made this one up, but seeing how she is always right, we roll with it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

Re: Guide to NEY: By-Laws and Dictionary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, awesome! Now we need a button!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it needs to be the mushroom cloud with "SAVE YOURSELVES! READ THE BYLAWS AND DICTIONARY!"  lol

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Can we add something about being judged immediately if you name is some reference to you BELONGING to your mate? 
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oceana this is excellent! Good job! I'm fixing my siggy link now, but I agree that we need a new button

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_guide-ney-bylaws-dictionary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:75253b2f-b49e-433f-919f-84a7157321d0Post:93af3d49-2007-4b0c-bc6b-77249372652a">Re: Guide to NEY - ByLaws and Dictionary</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can we add something about being judged immediately if you name is some reference to you BELONGING to your mate? 
    Posted by **Mutley**[/QUOTE]

Done.

ps. Check out Rule #14.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Klaus just looked at me with pure confusion.  Apparently my laughter was too much for him.

Thank you. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, no problem :)

• Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    excellent!
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011

Ok I may just be totally blind but I don't see a #14! And don't tell me it's after #13 cause I looked there! LOL

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, the Knot just up and dropped the updates that were made to the post. Seriously, what the fark is going on with the boards lately?!?

• Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011
    Ok, good! I'm not crazy!

TK has been messing up a lot lately.  Like telling me I haven't posted when I did and then showing diff names under people's pics and urg.  Stupid thing

Murried Bio
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011
    Haha! I see it now...and I agree! LOL

Murried Bio
  • Options
    sawahleeesawahleee member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would like to hear more about this surprise ice-rink wedding business lolz....

Visit The Knot!PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Basically what it sounds like.. a year? or so ago a chick posted on P&E about how she wanted to surprise her BF with a wedding at an ice rink. She thought it was an amazing idea because they loved iceskating and then he wouldn't be stressed about wedding stuff and she KNEW he was going to marry her anyways. 

amazing list.

Wow, I feel creepy knowing what most of those references are considering the amount of times I've posted on this board (not a lot)

I feel like a creepy stalker/lurker now. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    AHHH! Creepy stalker/lurker! AHHH!

Surprised
    Anniversary
  • Options
    sawahleeesawahleee member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

omg that's hilarious! hahaha

Visit The Knot!PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm cranky I thought I'd add some suggestions.

If you want any level of respect on a WR board full of sane people NEVER say anything like "i"ve recently become obsessed with weddings" you were doomed from the start.

Also, when you get engaged be prepared with a story and if you can pictures, I don't want to have to keep checking back through all of replies that say "Congrats! Story?" to see if you've posted yet. And if you mention that you can't post here anymore b/c you're engaged I will find a way to come through your computer to tar and feather you.

Being someone who is a "planner" by nature is no longer an excuse for being BSC .
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards