Moms and Maids

FMIL & Family help?

My FI and I live apart from both sets of parents.  We're getting married in my hometown, which is about 1500 miles from his parents.  When my FI's twin brother was married this last August, my FMIL was heavily involved with the planning.  The August wedding was local to my FMIL, and so she went dress shopping with my FSIL, helped with the reception, etc.  Because we're getting married in another location unfamiliar to my FMIL, she hasn't been involved at all in the planning process.

Initally when we got engaged, she said that she knew she wouldn't be involved with much planning due to distance, and that was totally ok.  She even told me to recommend a place for a rehearsal dinner because she's never been to my hometown.  However, after I purchased my dress this weekend (just my mom went with me) she made some comments to my FI comparing me (and him) to the brother's wedding, what my FSIL did (or let my FMIL do) and ending with suggesting that I (the bride to be) "don't like her" because I don't share every single detail.

We've only met a couple of times due to distance, and I don't have the type of relationship with her where we chat on the phone or exchange a lot of emails or texts.  I've asked my FI what would be helpful: sending her an email update, showing her some reception centerpiece ideas, etc.  But I feel bad asking for her opinions when I've already made a bunch of decisions and can't coordinate to include her on everything.  She's told my FI over and over again that she likes me, so I'm very confused about what to do.

Help?  How can I be supportive of my FI (FMIL loves to lay guilt trips on him about this stuff and other things too) while getting what I envision for a wedding?  How can I help her to understand that I do like her (she's a lovely woman, just very different than my own mother, and it's hard when there's so much distance) and that I just show I care about people differently than she expects?  Thank you!

Re: FMIL & Family help?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-family?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:d0771533-b84e-4346-bebb-5248bf0c7ddfPost:e2b5abd9-915f-4208-8af1-335e4c6bb97f">FMIL & Family help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I live apart from both sets of parents.  We're getting married in my hometown, which is about 1500 miles from his parents.  When my FI's twin brother was married this last August, my FMIL was heavily involved with the planning.  The August wedding was local to my FMIL, and so she went dress shopping with my FSIL, helped with the reception, etc.  Because we're getting married in another location unfamiliar to my FMIL, she hasn't been involved at all in the planning process. Initally when we got engaged, she said that she knew she wouldn't be involved with much planning due to distance, and that was totally ok.  She even told me to recommend a place for a rehearsal dinner because she's never been to my hometown.  However, after I purchased my dress this weekend (just my mom went with me) she made some comments to my FI comparing me (and him) to the brother's wedding, what my FSIL did (or let my FMIL do) and ending with suggesting that I (the bride to be) "don't like her" because I don't share every single detail. We've only met a couple of times due to distance, and I don't have the type of relationship with her where we chat on the phone or exchange a lot of emails or texts.  I've asked my FI what would be helpful: sending her an email update, showing her some reception centerpiece ideas, etc.  But I feel bad asking for her opinions when I've already made a bunch of decisions and can't coordinate to include her on everything.  She's told my FI over and over again that she likes me, so I'm very confused about what to do. Help?  How can I be supportive of my FI (FMIL loves to lay guilt trips on him about this stuff and other things too) while getting what I envision for a wedding?  How can I help her to understand that I do like her (she's a lovely woman, just very different than my own mother, and it's hard when there's so much distance) and that I just show I care about people differently than she expects?  Thank you!
    Posted by ashelbie[/QUOTE]

How does your FI respond to her complaints about you and your wedding planning?
  • [QUOTE]FMIL loves to lay guilt trips on him about this stuff and other things too
    Posted by ashelbie[/QUOTE]

<div>If this is true, there's not much you can do.  Leave her out of the planning at her request, as you have done, and it's your fault she's not involved.  But try to involve her, and you'll be inconsiderate for expecting her to put in so much effort into something so far away.  A mother who loves guilt trips can always find a reason for one.</div><div>
    </div><div>It's your FI's mother.  Tell him you're willing to take his advice on what would make her happy, then let him run the show.  But he also should be supporting you when she starts with the drama.  Be warned: a man who hangs you out to dry against his mother now will always do so.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks!  He's actually very good about not putting me in the middle of things, and standing up for me.  And he told me that our relationship is his number 1 priority.  It just kills me that he has to deal with it all :-(
  • Good to hear.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would just try to block out her comments, she already acknowledged that she can't help much because of the distance and seemed to be okay about it, maybe she is feeling guilty because she helped so much with her other son's wife and has not been able to help you as much. Maybe its more about her own guilt than trying to heap guilt on you. Do as she asked and recommend a place for a rehearsal dinner and then let her choose the place for a rehearsal dinner.  Acknowlege to her again that you know she would have been able to help more if she lived closer, but even though the distance has stopped her from being  involved that you appreciate her willingness to help and be there for you. And that you are looking forward to getting to know her better in the future.  If there is something specific that she can do to help let her know, maybe you can even create a special task for her to do to help her feel more involved, I don't know its just a suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards