Outdoor Weddings

Dance floor?

I'm having a tented wedding in VT - part of the tent will be on grass and part on a parking lot (packed dirt) - my FI feels that we don't need a dance floor but I think we
do - I don't want my guests to be uncomfortable - what do you think?  Is there a way to get by without the added cost of a dance floor?  Thanks in advance for thoughts and suggestions.

-Heather

Re: Dance floor?

• We didn't have a dance floor.  People danced on the grass.  No problems.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_dance-floor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:4985e264-cb8d-48a3-badb-f0689b167a6cPost:9903de28-6352-47c8-a6d8-275f6c8b4a5f">Dance floor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a tented wedding in VT - <strong>part of the tent will be on grass and part on a parking lot (packed dirt)</strong>- my FI feels that we don't need a dance floor but I think we do - I don't want my guests to be uncomfortable - what do you think?  Is there a way to get by without the added cost of a dance floor?  Thanks in advance for thoughts and suggestions. -Heather
    Posted by Brycedance[/QUOTE]

I would have as much of the party as possible (and especially the dancing) be on the grassy part.  If it has recently rained, packed dirt sounds like loose mud.  If it hasn't rained in a long time, packed dirt sounds like a dusty mess.

Of course I could be picturing something totally different from how it will actually be too.  Good luck!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think that dancing on the grass would be just fine. And cheaper!

• It sounds strange to have your reception on part grass part packed dirt. Is this land perfectly level? I would think females wearing heels may have a problem sinking into the grass. Packed or not, dirt is dirt and may be dusty.
  • Thank you all for your input!  i think I will move the tent to an entirely grassy area because of the dust/mud issue.  I'm telling guests that heels aren't advised as they might sink into the grass so I hope that will be ok.
  • We're having ours on the grass, and we're planning on just dancing on the grass.  I'm sure that will be fine.  I think it's a good idea to warn guests in advance, so the women can plan their shoes accordingly!  We put it on our website, but I might also email the info out just to be on the safe side.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it is odd to have to warn guests to wear appropriate shoes. Most women do wear heels when they go to a wedding or dress up. If you have to warn your guests, that tells me something is not right with your plan.
  • I think the grass is fine too!  Giving the guests a heads up is a great idea.  We are doing this for our wedding too, but on a brick patio that also screams danger on heels! 
  • I saw a wedding program on TV last night. They were using a tent but did have a dance floor. If it rains hard, the rain water runs and runs right to the grass area inside the tent. A tent does not prevent this. The grass inside the tent was all soggy.
  • I wrote on our invitations that they were invited to a "Tented reception to be held on the lawn at ..."  I hope they get the idea that heels are a no-no but I also made up an Old Navy flip flop basket for those who are forgetful.

We couldn't afford to rent a dance floor so my Dad was going to build one and then turn the materials into a shed floor which he needs to re-do - by chance a step-family member attended a wedding a couple of weeks ago where they had built their own dancefloor.  We asked if they still needed it and they sold it to us for less than the cost of materials!  And the work is already done!

Maybe check around your area (kijiji or craigslist) to see if anyone has already built one?  Good luck and you'll have fun no matter what!
  • Just dance on the grass!   Dance floors kill all the grass underneath (as do many large tents).  I know that my reception sight charges for any damage to the lawn, including dead grass. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards