Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Nontraditional wedding under 5K in Philly

Hi all,

We're not very traditional and looking for a unique space with an all-inclusive package for under 5K for ceremony and reception. We're planning from San Francisco and many guests will be from out of town. I'm looking for something with historical significance or something unique, and I'm pretty set on downtown or Old City. There will probably be between 50 and 75 people. I did like DT Club and the old road house place in the park (can't remember the name), but with new plans in a new year and a new budget, I don't know if they'll work.

Ideas or suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

Re: Nontraditional wedding under 5K in Philly

• Options
    Check out party space: http://partyspace.com/reception_sites/by_location/philadelphia_county?ref=header%20philadelphia%20weddings

But venues that come to mind are Colonial Dames, Physick House, Powell House, Morris House Hotel. Not sure how much these places cost but they are perfect for smaller guest lists.

Also, The Down Town Club has a $99 Saturday afternoon wedding special. http://www.downtownclub.com/99.00PackageMenu.htm
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options

The minimum at DTC for a Saturday evening is 150 guests though.  I'm not sure if it's different for Sat. afternoon or any other time.  I'm not familiar with the places jelybean listed but I remember in our search, finding anything downtown or in Old City that was even close to $100 per head was tough.  You said "historical significance or unique" and that usually comes with a high price tag. 

If you split the difference with your guest list number estimate and call it close to 65 guests and a $5000 budget, you're looking at an all-in cost of around $77 per head.  I don't mean to discourage you but finding something in this part of the city that will give you all in (including all taxes, gratuity fees, etc.) for that price might be a tall task.

If you do find something in that price range in Old City though I'd love to hear about it!  We just ended up biting the bullet and forking out the $$ for DTC.  We just couldn't pass up on the location and they seem to give you the most bang for your buck.     

• Options
    The Moshulu (a unique space) was willing to do 50 guests for $5000 for me but that was last year pricing and I "think" that included taxes and gratuity...you could still contact them and give them a try...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Amyj1276...YGPM
    image 211 Invited image 153 Ready to Party image 58 Are Missing Out Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You could check out some restaurants in those areas.  Bridget Foys on South Street would be well within your budget and could accommodate a group of your size most likely.  Also, Tangerine is doing solely private parties until the end of 2012 (when it's closing, I think), and their packages start around $60pp, I think.  City Tavern is a very historic restaurant (as in, the Founding Fathers supposedly went there for beers during the Constitutional Convention) --- they're a bit pricy for regular dinner, but they might be worth contacting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_nontraditional-wedding-under-5k-in-philly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:1c710c46-aab6-4c9f-b9a3-ef8e168520c7Post:3084f3d7-67e1-4403-8368-c29be29f5979">Re: Nontraditional wedding under 5K in Philly</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The minimum at DTC for a Saturday evening is 150 guests though</strong>.  I'm not sure if it's different for Sat. afternoon or any other time.  I'm not familiar with the places jelybean listed but I remember in our search, finding anything downtown or in Old City that was even close to $100 per head was tough.  You said "historical significance or unique" and that usually comes with a high price tag.  If you split the difference with your guest list number estimate and call it close to 65 guests and a $5000 budget, you're looking at an all-in cost of around $77 per head.  I don't mean to discourage you but finding something in this part of the city that will give you all in (including all taxes, gratuity fees, etc.) for that price might be a tall task. If you do find something in that price range in Old City though I'd love to hear about it!  We just ended up biting the bullet and forking out the $$ for DTC.  We just couldn't pass up on the location and they seem to give you the most bang for your buck.     
    Posted by broodc2[/QUOTE]

Not always. Mine was not. And it is absolutely different at other times. Everything is negotiable. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    I know you want to keep it in Philly but Fonthill in Doylestown does a $50/pp station reception on Sundays - might be with just taking a look at
  • Options
    Thanks, all!! We were going to get married last year and there were a few places that were willing to work with us since it was within a few months--very last minute. Life got in the way and now we're starting the planning over. But in that time, we both realized that we have so many other travel priorities (like being on every continent together) that we refuse to spend that much on a one-day affair. That said, I do want it to be special and a bit more than we would do on any normal day!

I will definitely check in (or reconnect) with all of the places mentioned. I was actually thinking that City Tavern would be perfect, although I'm not sure if they have disabled access for a couple family members.

Thanks again for the advice! And keep it coming if anyone has any to add!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards