Pre-wedding Parties

Shower question!

My little sister (MOH) is throwing me a bridal shower in March, and my FI got a little upset that she didn't invite all of the females from his family to the shower.  I gave my sister addresses for his mom, stepmom, grandmas, and aunt (who I've all met), and he doesn't have any sisters, but was she supposed to invite everyone is his family?  I could understand if we lived closer, but our families are 6+ hours apart...

But now I'm worried that I offended my FI family by not inviting them... I couldn't imagine saying "Here's 20 more people you have to invite/pay for" to my sister, since that is completely unfair to her, but my mom and I don't want to offend his family either. 

Re: Shower question!

• You don't have to invite everybody to the shower. I think you did the right thing by only inviting people you've met before. I would think that it would be a little awkward to be in such an intimate setting with people you've never before. Tell your FI and his family that you'd prefer for the shower to just be YOUR close friends and family but you really look forward to meeting them at the wedding. Hopefully they will respect that.
  • I don't think you are wrong in this situation.  If your FMIL wanted to have a shower with her whole side of the family then she could have thrown you one.  Just tell your FI that you aren't planning or paying for the shower so you feel really uncomfortable having to ask your MOH to invite more people.

Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • It seems to me that you got it right. You've invited the close family members to the shower. It is not necessary to invite every female family member that is invited to the wedding. You were right to be considerate of your sister's budget.

• Thanks everyone! I guess I just needed to be reassured I wasn't offending anyone!
  • IMO, you did the right thing!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards