Pre-wedding Parties

party before the wedding (w/ people not invited to the event??)

My wedding is this September in upstate NY near my hometown and we're inviting 200+ people. I'm from a small town and have lived there my entire life, so I'm inviting a good number of people I grew up with, as well as family and close friends.

After college, my fiance and I moved to NYC together and we've been here for about 4 years.  Although we have a lot of friends in the city, we're not inviting that many to our actual wedding, because we already have such a huge guest list. 

I wanted to have a summer pool party/BBQ in August.  This is something we do every summer w/ our friends in the city and we usually invite 50+ people (because there are certain groups that just go together, i.e. dozens of coworkers, people we've met in our apt building, acquaintances from college that we see at alumni events, etc...)

Not all of the people I would want to invite to our pool party are actually invited to the wedding - would it be rude to mention the wedding in the party invite?? I was going to say something like, "although everyone can't be there on the big day, we would love to celebrate with our friends in the city before we tie the knot! "   Would that just be rubbing it in??  Has anyone else faced a similar problem.  I feel like all of my friends in the city come in big groups!

Re: party before the wedding (w/ people not invited to the event??)

• Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    >>Not all of the people I would want to invite to our pool party are actually invited to the wedding - would it be rude to mention the wedding in the party invite??

YES

>>I was going to say something like, "although everyone can't be there on the big day, we would love to celebrate with our friends in the city before we tie the knot! "   Would that just be rubbing it in??

YES

Every summer you host a pool party and BBQ.  This summer you want to host the same traditional pool party and BBQ.  It's not a wedding event - it's the same pool party and BBQ you always host.
  • csmith2249csmith2249 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh girl, be prepared for a lot of negative comments on this one.
    It is considered rude to invite people to any kind of wedding related event if they are not invited to the actual wedding. I, personally, would not be offended, but I am probably the only bride on here who would say that. I would understand that you have a lot of people already coming to the wedding. 
    You know your friends. If you think they would understand and be cool with it, that's fine. If not, just keep it your regular summer party and save the wedding stuff for the wedding. I would suggest that if you mention wedding, you ask for no gifts. Cause that is rude. But I don't see any problem with celebrating with friends such a joyous occasion.
    Hubby + Vasectomy = IUI with Donor.
    March 2011 - IUI #1 = BFN
    April 2011 - IUI #2 = BFN
    May 2011 - Monitored IUI cycle to see what's going on. Ha! Tons of follicles, none big enough to do insemination.
    June 2011 - Nothing - unexplained (probably stress) 58 day cycle.
    July 2011 - Switch from Clomid to Letrozole. Let's get these follicles growing! 2 follicles big enough, HCG injection, BFN
    Break taken to focus on our marriage and less on not getting pregnant.
    February 2012 - Ready to get back on the horse and try IUI #4 - - BFN
    May 2012 - IUI #5 with Letrozole and HCG - BFN
    June 2012 - Doctor wants to move to injectible IUI or IVF. We don't want IVF but agree to do injections.
    Currently - Saving money for Injectible IUI cycle and taking the first steps towards adoption!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe that the world may just stop spinning on its axis.................because I agree with Kristin on this one.  Wait~did it stop?

You've hosted this BBQ for several years.  There is but one small difference this year.  You're engaged.  So why does the same party that you've hosted for years have to become a wedding event?

Not everything in the time leading up to your wedding needs to be about your getting married.  People realize that you can't invite everyone you've ever met to your wedding.

Have your BBQ.  Have a great time.  Plan a great time for your guests.  But there's absolutely NO reason,  not a single one, why it needs to be wedding related, or even have a mention of your wedding on the invites.

If people ask you about the wedding at the BBQ, you simply say that planning is going great, and you'll be happy to bore them with photos after it's over.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_party-before-wedding-w-people-not-invited-event?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:1fe92481-3dce-49d2-90fc-f27347e39e9fPost:dfab2df7-e2c9-4308-a21d-6ea028a48e10">Re: party before the wedding (w/ people not invited to the event??)</a>:
    [QUOTE] You've hosted this BBQ for several years.  There is but one small difference this year.  You're engaged.  So why does the same party that you've hosted for years have to become a wedding event? Not everything in the time leading up to your wedding needs to be about your getting married.  People realize that you can't invite everyone you've ever met to your wedding. Have your BBQ.  Have a great time.  Plan a great time for your guests.  But there's absolutely NO reason,  not a single one, why it needs to be wedding related, or even have a mention of your wedding on the invites. If people ask you about the wedding at the BBQ, you simply say that planning is going great, and you'll be happy to bore them with photos after it's over.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tsp698tsp698 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    By mentioning the wedding in this invite its almost as if you were turning this Summer BBQ into an Engagement Party, which one should never throw for themselves, and especially if you are inviting people that won't be coming to the actual wedding.
    image 107 Invited
    image 43 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image58 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: July 23
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions!  I am by no means trying to make this into another wedding event (trust me, there have already been plenty of those!), I just feel weird having my usual summer party and ignorning the elephant in the room.  I appreciate all of the suggestions though - as trix said (which my mom also reiterated)  - I can't invite everyone I've ever met to the wedding.   Sometimes it can be stressful and a little uncomfortable when people keep asking about it, but I guess that comes w/ the territory!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kylej:  you can, of course, answer questions about your wedding.  As I said:  someone says "How's wedding planning going?" and you answer "Great!  I'll be happy to share photos with you when we get back from our HM".  Or if someone asks about BM dresses, describe the dress, and then tell them you'll have about a zillion pictures to show them after the wedding.

You don't have to ignore the fact that you're getting married.  Just don't make the BBQ about your wedding.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • marisah83marisah83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it is a party that you throw every year, keep it as such.  I'm sure they all know you are engaged, so if they ask, tell them about your planning.  If they don't ask, then just enjoy your party.  I don't think it is a big "elephant in the room" as you might think. 
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards