Illinois-Chicago

Budget Wedding... Ideas?

Hello friends,

I am attempting to keep my wedding budget under $5000. So far I have some of the expenses covered: Cake (bridesmaid owns a bakery), photography (Mom is a professional photographer and is trading with another photographer), and dress (bought a used one for $200... now I just need to lose 10 lbs so I can breathe in it....).

I am having a hard time finding good prices on food and venue and rentals. It is going to be on the casual side, so hopefully that will help me save money as well.

Any suggestions? I am in the NW suburbs (Schamburg area, with most family further west).

Wedding date is tentatively June 2012. We want a summer wedding, but  don't think we can pull everything together by August 2011.

Re: Budget Wedding... Ideas?

• Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    What is the look you're going for?  Casual? Semi-casual?  We did a nice heavy apps/cake/hosted bar for 50+ people at Klein Creek in Winfield for less than $2,000
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should also try to figure out how many guest you are planning for. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

There's a post below about some budget saving ideas. Have you thought about having your wedding on Sunday? Also, you have a lot of time to save money if you are planning for June 2012. GL!
  • edited December 2011

How many people are on your guest list?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AbbyjensenAbbyjensen member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Guest list is 100-150. This is the one area that I do not want to compromise, so I know it will be tough to have something for this many people in this price range.
  • eriemer1023eriemer1023 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Abby,
    I too am having a wedding in June 2012 but I'm having 200 people. I am also trying to keep the cost at or below $5000. 
    After doing much research, my fiance and I decided to do an outdoor reception under a tent on the Church property.
    We are having a friend do a pasta  and salad bar, and we are having pizza (not sure if we're ordering it or having our friend who is a chef make it). 
    Surprisingly, the food altogether is going to cost us around $2000 and the tent/tables/chairs/linens are going to cost $2000. 
    I plan on making my own flower bouquets and table centerpieces. 
    We also are having a friend make our cake as wedding gift and my mother might make other sweets for a sweet table. 
    As far as photography, that is where I'm struggling. I am a photographer so to hire someone to do my wedding photography is tough. I've been finding myself being very picky! If you need a wedding photographer, check out my website (www.eadesignandphotography.com). I'm nearby the schaumburg area. 

• edited December 2011

erie, you have a PM.

• edited December 2011
    How far out do you want to go-there's a really beautiful place out in  Dekalb that's very affordable, but I don't know if that's too far for you and your family.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I posted this before but your best bet is probably going to a hall that does a package.  All my halls are on the southside because that is where our family is from.

Start looking at halls.  Pierre's has some really great pieces but the location is not ideal with a small parking lot and an additional one your guests will have to walk from.  Hickory Hills Gold Course is pretty and they have some great prices.  Crystal Sky banquet has some amazing prices.  My future sil was married there and I just hear how amazing their reception was. The Belvedere also has some really great prices and a huge parking lot.  The Belvedere also offers a Polish pig roast late at night.  I was almost sold on that.

We went with William Tell.  If you want more information about my experience with them please pm me.  I will tell you don't recommend our contact there.  She isn't bad but it just has been difficult to get her to do some extras for us.  Now, a month before, she is telling us she will.  Frustrating when we asked months ago.

Try to figure out what you want too.  We wanted an open bar and family style and a unique location.  This is why when financial issues happened, we scrapped our original a la carte planning. 

I will add, I can not imagine dealing with so many different vendors going the a la carte road.

Good luck planning!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Hi.  I usually post on my month board, but I lurk here, too.  Thought I'd share some of my budget venue findings with you.  

Carriage Green is Darien was fairly reasonable, especially if you did Firday or Sunday.  They aldo offered a discount in July and August.  One of the things I disliked about them is that they did not include the cake, but you already have that covered so that wouldn't be an issue for you.

Ashton Place (I think that is Willowbrook) also considered August off-season and offered a discount then.  The coordinators there seemed very nice as well.

• AbbyjensenAbbyjensen member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of your advice!

I will check out the places that you suggested.

@Scarlet- Dekalb is a little far, but it's still definitely an option. What is the name of the place?
  • adamchicagoadamchicago member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have chair covers that I rent throughout the Chicagoland area for $1.00 each. I also have wine and drink glasses for $0.50 each

Email: chicagorent@hotmail.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards