June 2013 Weddings

NWR: Health & Fitness Goals

Do any of you ladies have health/fitness/weight loss-related goals that you're willing to share? If so, what do you do to get your motivation burning again when you get stuck in a rut? 

I was a skinny twig in high school who never exercised and ate Jack-in-the-Box every day after school. I was hit by the "freshman 15" in my sophomore year of college due to buffet-style dining halls, late-night eating, and alcohol. Law school brought more of the same eating and drinking habits. Studying for the bar exam sealed the deal - extended periods of sitting on my ass, no exercise whatsoever, and eating whatever I wanted to ease my stress, brought me up to my heaviest weight ever. Last year I signed up with a diet coach/trainer and dropped 20 lbs for our July Vegas trip. I looked the best I've ever looked in my life! Unfortunately that didn't last long. I couldn't translate what I learned into a lifestyle and now those 20 lbs are back. Ugh! 

Now I'm anxious to get back into shape and make some improvements to my physique. I want to drop body fat and put on lean muscle. My FI is a national-level competitive bodybuilder, so naturally he always looks great! He loves my body the way it is, but I want to have a physique that I'm proud of, and I want to be able to stand next to him and look like we "belong" together. Also, of course I want to look my best on our wedding day! FI helped me by writing out a nutrition/weight training/cardio plan, so I know exactly what I have to do... I just can't seem to find the motivation to get off my freakin' ass and do it!! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Health & Fitness Goals

• lodonnell616lodonnell616 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'm in a women only bootcamp class 3x a week.  Its outdoors and I (almost) always look forward to going.  Having a trainer helps me to push harder than I would if I were on my own. 

However, I don't always see the results I want because I travel alot for work so don't get to participate as often as I would like.  I'm trying to lose 15lbs by the end of May (in preparation for wedding dress shopping).  I am following a no carb no sugar diet which I find chalenging.

I'm 5'0 and weigh 130lbs...goal weight is eventually to be at about 105

As for advice, the other thing I like about having a class/trainer is that its a fixed appointment so I'm less likely to skip than if I am just going to go to the gym on my own.  Might be an idea to make some gym appointments w/your FI.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do hot yoga, and I pay for a monthly unlimited pass, which isn't cheap. So, when I'm sitting there on the couch coming up with excuses as to why I should skip class, I remind myself that the more I go, the more cost-effective it becomes (if I go 4-5 days a week, it means I'm only paying around $5 a class, but if I only go 3 days a week, I'm paying closer to $8 a class). Thinking about it that way usually gives me that extra push I need to get out the door. I'm trying to drop about 5 pounds of winter weight before our engagement pictures, so I've also been trying to be more mindful of what I'm eating (except I failed last night, when I came home from yoga and ate Oreos...and Cheez-Its...oops). I try to stop and think "Okay, do I really want to order the cheese fries? Is that really worth the extra effort I'll have to put forth for the next few days?," and 9 times out of 10, I'll decide it's not worth it.

Also, I agree with L, having an appointment (or in my case, a set class time) keeps me from procrastinating until it's too late in the day to go.

• I'm shaped like a pear. A MAJOR pear. I'm comfortable with my upper half...but my rear and thighs...now that's a whole other story! I hate it because pants NEVER fit! If they fit my butt and thighs, then the waist of them is absolutely to large. And belts? Ugh! That just makes the denim bunch up around the belt loops. So to motivate me, I bought a pair of small bikini bottoms and pinned them to a cork board on a wall, so  when I'm running on the treadmill at home, that is what I have to look at.

We also have a Wii (FI's idea lol). So I bought that Fitness game thing for it. I haven't tried it yet, but my mother claims that it is, "trying to kill her"....FEEL THE BURN!! LOL :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI is my trainer, and oh boy is it tough to workout with him. He's a maniac in the gym, and it shows. He's in fantastic shape, me on the other hand...I want to lose 5-10 lbs and I'll be happy. 

That's my goal. I just have to remind myself that I want to look amazing in pictures and for our wedding. I have no problem with any lifting, the thing that gets me is cardio. I *hate* running and I have horrible knees and ankles. So even doing the elliptical hurts and I spend the rest of the day limping around like I'm 85.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ashlidieashlidie member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    Sugar I am the same as you.  I have a very thin and defined upper body even when I don't go to the gym.  But my "thunder thighs" and "ghetto booty" are a source of major frustration for me.  I have cellulite and stretchmarks on my thighs and butt (I even have cellulite on my calves...) since I am so pear-shaped, and like you all my pants fit my thighs and butt but my waist is so small that I have to wear a belt with EVERYTHING.

So since January I have lost 10lbs.  And well, I am noticing a difference, but mostly I look super thin up top (like my hip bones stick out now) and very minimal results in my legs.  My goal is to lose another 5lbs, keep it off and then start toning up my legs.  I have always had big legs but when I was in high school, cheerleading and track made them pretty solid, which I will gladly take if I must have big legs.

My motivation?  My new bathing suit, and the fact that my favorite work pants now have a hole from my thighs rubbing together when I walk.  Basically I just reduce my eating, stop eating when I feel satisfied, NOT full, and drink lots of water.  I eat oatmeal with apple butter every single morning (and I love it!) and just a sandwich and granola bar for lunch.  Dinner is tougher because I have to feed my fiance too, but mostly I practice portion control and opt to eat the more nutritious items in my meal, but mostly I make a salad before so I fill up quicker on the unhealthy meal.  Once a week we have fish and if a meal has too much fatty stuff in it, I make a green monster smoothie (greek yogurt, fat free milk, a frozen banana, tsp of almond butter for protein and a heap full of spinach (you can't taste it!)) for me so he can eat his nasty fatty food.  If I need a snack I have special K crackers, nutrigrain bars, yogurt, parfaits, or some fruit. Oh, and I've stopped drinking alcohol completely.  All this is good to keep me at my weight, but to LOSE I also go to the gym 3 days a week and do pure cardio.  

For reference, I am 5'7'' and now weigh 137.  My goal is to hover between 130-135 permanently (high school weight).
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_nwr-health-fitness-goals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:f179411b-a355-464b-a198-8a9c058791ebPost:1028f435-663a-44d1-99be-e3bb8f967ba6">Re: NWR: Health & Fitness Goals</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sugar I am the same as you.  I have a very thin and defined upper body even when I don't go to the gym.  But my "thunder thighs" and "ghetto booty" are a source of major frustration for me.  I have cellulite and stretchmarks on my thighs and butt (I even have cellulite on my calves...) since I am so pear-shaped, and like you all my pants fit my thighs and butt but my waist is so small that I have to wear a belt with EVERYTHING. So since January I have lost 10lbs.  And well, I am noticing a difference, but mostly I look super thin up top (like my hip bones stick out now) and very minimal results in my legs.  My goal is to lose another 5lbs, keep it off and then start toning up my legs.  I have always had big legs but when I was in high school, cheerleading and track made them pretty solid, which I will gladly take if I must have big legs. My motivation?  My new bathing suit, and the fact that my favorite work pants now have a hole from my thighs rubbing together when I walk.  Basically I just reduce my eating, stop eating when I feel satisfied, NOT full, and drink lots of water.  I eat oatmeal with apple butter every single morning (and I love it!) and just a sandwich and granola bar for lunch.  Dinner is tougher because I have to feed my fiance too, but mostly I practice portion control and opt to eat the more nutritious items in my meal, but mostly I make a salad before so I fill up quicker on the unhealthy meal.  Once a week we have fish and if a meal has too much fatty stuff in it, I make a green monster smoothie (greek yogurt, fat free milk, a frozen banana, tsp of almond butter for protein and a heap full of spinach (you can't taste it!)) for me so he can eat his nasty fatty food.  If I need a snack I have special K crackers, nutrigrain bars, yogurt, parfaits, or some fruit. Oh, and I've stopped drinking alcohol completely.  All this is good to keep me at my weight, but to LOSE I also go to the gym 3 days a week and do pure cardio.   For reference, I am 5'7'' and now weigh 137.  My goal is to hover between 130-135 permanently (high school weight).
    Posted by ashlidie[/QUOTE]

OMG I know! Its terrible. I 've got the stretch marks too on my thighs and and I've noticed a little bit of cellulite...which I am not enjoying whatsoever. I wish cellulite would die! And as for looking extremely thin up top? ME TOO! I didn't do so hot in Anatomy and Physiology in high school so I'm not 100% percent sure as to what bones it is lol, but its like my upper chest area and between my boobs. Those bones. You can see em. Its like skeleton above waist, massive ass below it.

Lol I'm 5'3" (and a half thank you very much) and about 130ish...But I don't want to be my high school weight...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am trying to lose about 20-25 lbs before dress shopping in August. My motivation was going to a bridal show and actually seeing the dresses in person. It kicked my butt into gear real quick. Since January, I have lost 10 lbs, it has been hard though. FI and I belong to a gym, a lot of times we go together, but a lot of nights he is working and I go alone. I am an elliptical fan, but I do weights also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was always in great shape through high school and my first 2 years of college. I ate whatever I wanted and never gained more than a few pounds that disappeared within a week on their own. My third year is what's killing me. I gained about 20 pounds last semester out of nowhere, and it's all in my butt and thighs which is driving me crazy. I went from about 6 to 1 pair of dress pants that fit (which is a problem because my fraternity requires me to be in professional attire so often). What really got me is that I've now broken buttons or zippers on 3 pairs of jeans. I'm down to 1 pair that fit pretty well and 1 that I can get into but are a little tight.

On Tuesday and Thursday mornings, me and 2 of my bridesmaids (who are also fraternity brothers of mine) get up and head to the rec center for an hour. That's my biggest motivator. I also walk pretty well everywhere around campus. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any weight loss whatsoever which is pretty upsetting. Hopefully, being away from all the unhealthy food this summer will help.

June 2013 May Challenge: The Dress
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards