Washington-Seattle
Options

U.S. citizens getting married in Whistler - will it be legal in Washington State?

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are getting married on 9/10/11 in Whistler BC.  We both are U.S. citizens and live in Mercer Island. 

Does anyone with experience in this situation know whether or not our marriage will be recognized as a legal marriage when we come back across the border?  Or will we have to go to a courtroom to make it official in Seattle?

I've heard mixed information from various sources online, and mixed information from the King County Licensing office (I know, scary right?). 

Can someone help me answer once and for all who has actually been married in BC and is a Washington State resident?  I want it to be official on our special day!!!

Thanks,
Lauren

Re: U.S. citizens getting married in Whistler - will it be legal in Washington State?

• Options
    zoiesmurfzoiesmurf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wish I could be of more help, but have you checked these sites:

http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/marriage/marriage_589.html

http://www.kingcounty.gov/courts/marriage/Applyingforamarriagelicense.aspx

I would also make sure you have everything in order to be married in Canada(I'm sure you've already done this) as you are going to have to apply for your marriage license there and they may have different laws than WA state. GL & HTH!
    December 2011 Weddings September Siggy: Shoes
    Vintage shoes I found at an antique store about 10 years ago :)

CIMG0051

Retro/Vintage Siggy Challenge: Favorite Vintage Movie
    sabrina

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I'm happy to report that I have found out the answers to my questions, and am sharing with any couples in the same situation.

I contacted the King County licensing department by email since I got mixed signals over the phone.  They were able to help answer my questions by saying: 
    Your Canadian Marriage will be recognized as legal here in Washington State provided it meets the definitions of a legal marriage as defined by Washington State Law.  You can review the relevant laws under Title 26 of the Revised Code of Washington by visiting the State’s website at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=26

Sincerely, 
    Jon Scherer
    King County Records

Pretty much as long as we're following all of the standard laws to get married, it doesn't matter that we're getting married in WA or BC.  Our marriage certificate will be registered at the Vital Statistics office in Vancouver, and if we want to, we can also have the King County office keep a copy on file if we need to obtain one. 

So exciting that our wedding will be official and we won't have to crawl through courtroom or legal hoops when we get home!
  • Options

Hello and Congratulations!! Hope your wedding went wonderfully! My fiance and I are getting married at Whistler next August 2012. Glad to see that it will be official and recognized here in Washington State. I have a couple questions that I hope you have time to answer.

1)When did you go and apply for the license? Was it weeks or a day before the wedding? Is there a waiting period like there is here in Washington state. (3 day I think)

2) Where did you find the person/minister to officiate the ceremony? Here in WA? or there in Canada?  

Thank you for the help.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards