Honeymoon Discussions

Seeking city & beach exotic March ideas!

We are getting married in early March and it's up to me to figure out the honeymoon.  I thought it would be pretty simple.  Wrong!

We have 2 weeks to spare, give or take a day or two, for our honeymoon and would both like to do something kinda different.  We both think it would be cool to do the touristy kind of city/adventure/exploring type of thing for about 5-7 days and then go somewhere nice, quiet, beachy and realaxing for the rest of the trip.  

Both of us would rather not be at a beach for 2 weeks.  Granted, it would be nice to relax, but it would probably get boring and repeditive after a while.

The general idea would be something like home to Paris to Trinidad to home or home to Spain to Canary Islands to home.  Something like that.  I've also looked into Brazil, Italy and Africa.

We would like a balance of something new and adventurous and stimulating and then relaxing and romantic.  We have about $5k to work with.  I've contacted a travel agent, but don't like the suggestions so far.  Please help!!!

Re: Seeking city & beach exotic March ideas!

• edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_seeking-city-beach-exotic-march-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:33ec45dc-a058-4177-8711-5715f06e1b8fPost:af5720b9-e22a-48c0-a592-67a30897dc7b">Seeking city & beach exotic March ideas!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We both think it would be cool to do the touristy kind of city/adventure/exploring type of thing for about 5-7 days and then go somewhere nice, quiet, beachy and realaxing for the rest of the trip.    

We have about $5k to work with.  I've contacted a travel agent, but don't like the suggestions so far.  Please help!!!
    Posted by ned4spd8874[/QUOTE]

have you looked into Costa Rica? You can get everything you are looking for in one country, and for 5k, you can stay in some very nice places!  Its a very safe, beautiful and affordable country!

Africa, or Europe and the Caribbean in the same trip might be a bit tough on 5k, considering airfare.
  •  I agree with the pp. March is high season in the Caribbean and it would be VERY difficult to find somthing within the $5K range for a week, let alone two weeks. Europe will be chilly and the airfare to get to Africa will easily be $1000pp, if not more. I think 2 weeks with 5K is going to be hard anywhere, and even in Costa Rica, you may need to consider something closer to 7-9 nights, unless you are willing to stay in smaller eco lodges. However, Costa Rica will be th closest fit.

• OP here, had to create a new account because it won't let me log in with my the one I made yesterday.  Keeps saying that it's not activated?!?!

Anyways, I'll look into Costa Rica.  In my mind I was hoping for an island though.  But if it's not affordible, then that's that.

I was talking to my fiance last night and she would prefer Europe though.  Her family is from Italy so if I can find something around there, that would be pretty cool.  Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help!
  • actually 5k for a week in italy is doable in march. i went in jan/feb for a week and flew direct jfk to rome, stayed in a gorgeous hotel, then up to florence, another gorgeous hotel (i'd been to both cities before), then florence through paris flight home.
    1300 a person.
    venere.com and tripadvisor.com are great resources for hotels in italy.
    i stayed at the albergo del senato in rome and the grand hotel cavour in florence if that will help you out.

• You are so lucky to be leaving from detriot! That should save heavily on airfare.

I'm curious about whether or not you have considered Asia? You could easily do Japan or Hong kong and get to see a new city and have a good adventure. Half of your budget would probably go to airfare, but Japan and Hong kong are industrialized, safe countries so you wouldn't have to worry about having top notch all inclusive hotels.

Also, depending on the level of adveture you want, may I suggest Belize instead of Costa Rica?  Belize is the second most "developed" country in central America ( a distant second to Costa Rica), and is very stable. However it does have a kinda tropical wild west feel to it. Almost everyone speaks english (I believe it's the official language) even when you get into the less touristy places. Also, there are TONS of ruins from the Maya. It's my understanding that Costa Rica doesn't have many ruins as it was on the outskirts of a couple civilizations not not a main area.

Oh Also, theres the Blue hole, The second largest Barrier reef, and an extensive cave system.

The downside would be that there isn't a large city, and the largest, Belize City, is only 80,000 and not the safest area but I would say you'd get more "adventure" out of Belize and more relaxation out of Costa Rica.
  • thanks for the great replies!  I'll look into Florence more.  But I've heard is very noisy and busy.  That does not appeal to either of us.  I'm thinking Sicily too.  Again, I guess my problem is that although they seem very nice, they seem very busy.  We wouldn't mind that at first, but still want to get relaxation, 1 on 1 time out of more touristy, hussle and bustle places.

I would love to go to Japan or Hong Kong!  But my fiance isn't as keen on it.  She said that she wouldn't mind going, but it wouldn't be near the top of her list.  The same with Central America, not on her top list.
  • I'd start actually pricing things out if you want to go to Europe to see if it's even possible to have the type of vacation you want with your budget.  My H and I are planning 10-14 days there this coming summer between Italy and France and we're trying to budget between $7K-$10K, so I'm not sure how far you can stretch $5K, though March is probably quite a bit less expensive than the summer, but I still doubt it would be enough for 2 full weeks and multiple destinations, so it's something to consider.

As for suggestions that would definitely work with your budget, I'd suggest Puerto Rico.  San Juan is a great city, lots of history, lots of stuff to do.  The rainforest offers tons of activities to where you won't be bored.  Also, if you want a few days to just lounge around on beautiful beaches, you can stay on Vieques or Culebra.
    Anniversary
  • You should try pricing out a few things and see if it is in your budget. If your honeymoon is this coming March you should probably book it very soon.

We booked our London and Paris honeymoon using EuropeanDesinations.com and it was by far the cheapest that I found. You are able to select dates and your city of departure to get exact prices. Otherwise check out TravelZoo as they have deals going on almost all of the time.

I think you two will be tight no matter where you go though. And hopefully you have spending money on top of the 5k. Decide for sure where you want to go first though. Europe is very different then Central America. But all the posters above have great suggestions and this is where you can get a ton of information!

• If you want to do Italy you could go to the Cinque Terre for your relaxing portion. It is 5 small villages on the northern coast on the west side of Italy
  • OMG I am so dissapointed right now.  I looked into Cinque Terre and found the Porto Roca hotel and it looks amazing! However, they are closed during our time frame and will be opening back up just after we leave!
  • edited November 2012
    Okay...I think we have a plan!  Barcelona then on to Fuerteventura, Canary Islands!  Any tips?  Am I on the right track?  I see hotels are being gobbled up right now.  Should I get the hotels and flights now?  Being the holiday time, I'm afraid that we'll be paying a premium.  Maybe reserve the hotels and wait for the flight for after the holidays?
  • Hotel prices are usually pretty steady and won't change too much in the 6 months or so leading up to a trip. So, if you see that the hotel is getting close to being sold out, grab it! A lot of hotels also have decent cancellation policies, so if you find something that better suits your needs, you may be able to cancel your original booking without penalty. Just double check on the policy first, though. Airfare pricing is best 3-6 months out. If you see something that works for you and is in budget, then grab it. Airfare prices go all over the place and can drop or sky rocket any time.

• Holiday time applies to when you want the hotel for, not for when you book. You shouldn't be paying a premium, since you are booking for March, which is not high season. 

I would get yourself a Frommer's guide for Spain and the Canary Islands - it has invaluable advice on hotels, what to do, local culture, etc. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_seeking-city-beach-exotic-march-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:33ec45dc-a058-4177-8711-5715f06e1b8fPost:cb35e8a4-ada7-4a6b-8f6e-80829dbf468f">Re: Seeking city & beach exotic March ideas!</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks for the great replies!  I'll look into Florence more.  But I've heard is very noisy and busy.  That does not appeal to either of us.  I'm thinking Sicily too.  Again, I guess my problem is that although they seem very nice, they seem very busy.  We wouldn't mind that at first, but still want to get relaxation, 1 on 1 time out of more touristy, hussle and bustle places. I would love to go to Japan or Hong Kong!  But my fiance isn't as keen on it.  She said that she wouldn't mind going, but it wouldn't be near the top of her list.  The same with Central America, not on her top list.
    Posted by ned4spd8875[/QUOTE]

Rome is noisier and busier than florence. florence is much smaller-more of a saunter around place. FAR FAR FAR more easy going than rome. you might also want to consider staying in tuscany someplace other than florence or alogn iwth florence like siena, radda, etc... and spending some time at wineries.
    Sicily is great. i've been a few times. Siracusa (on the s.e. shore is fabulous) and agrigento, selinunte and sciacca are gorgeous.
    Just because there's a lot to do doesn't mean you have to do a lot. I usually do half a day seeing stuff and the other half at a wine bar enjoying the scenery. every trip is what YOU make of it.

• Barcelona is still a big and bustling city, but it is one of my favorites in Europe.  The food and art are wonderful.  If possible, stay in a hotel near Las Ramblas.  Go restaurant hopping and do tapas at bars along the way.  It isn't easy to get to, but try to visit Park Guell.  I got there via a hop-on/hop-off tourist bus.  The Park is so unique and beautiful. 

If you don't know Spanish very well, bring a phrase book.  I bumped into a lot of locals that didn't speak any English (including waiters in tourist areas and taxi drivers).  And be prepared for some words (like the one for bathroom) to be different than the phrase book because most phrase books are geared towards Mexican-Spanish and not Span-Spanish. 

• Here we go again...

So now we're looking at London to Canary Islands and then home.  I wouldn't mind Spain, but would prefer England over it, so this sounds about perfect to me.  Looking at costs though and we're going to be pushing the budget.

Any advice on which one of the Canary Islands would be the best?  We're looking at charters the fly between the London area and Tenrife.  But I have read Tenrife might not the best island to stay at.  How easy would it be to go to the other ones?  Or which one would be "best" for that matter?

Starting to get stressed out here...
  • Going crazy over here.  The Canary Islands are looking less and less realistic.  The main problem I am seeing right now is that the flights take us into the islands that we don't want to stay at.  And getting from island to island sounds like a major PITA...especially at 11 o'clock at night when our flight would be getting in!!!

So now I'm back to square one kinda.  I'm about ready to just say Hawaii and be done with it.  This shouldn't be that complicated.
  • I have to ask: what exactly are you looking for? Your original post mentioned that you wanted beach/adventure. Is that still what you are looking for? I think the climate in March will eliminate most of Europe. You can't sit on a beach then. Plus, airfare will eat up most of your budget. Africa is probably out as well, as airfare is expensive. I think you should really consider Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, or Puerto Rico. Hawaii is definitely an option as well and I'd consider a condo on Kauai and the Big Island. Two islands, adventure, beach, and a condo will help you save on costs.

• Yes, we're still hoping for the beach/adventure honeymoon.  We were looking last night and I think we have a winner.  Flying to London for about 5 days and then down to Malta for another 5 days then back to London for the night and then off to home!  I know, it's a little crazy flying, but it brings us right at the $5k mark!

I know Malta isn't very beachy, but it should be good weather and relaxing.
  • Just wanted to update everyone and thank them for all the great advice!  We finally choose and booked it!  We went with London for 5 days then on to Malta for another 5 days.  Thanks again everyone, we appreciate the help and advice!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards