Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Good Value?

So ladies (gents if there are any, lol) I have a small issue with photography. We initially booked with a venue that required use of their contracted photographer. It was no big deal to us because her photography is phenomenal. Fast forward and our venue has now changed. After speaking to her she has no issue shooting our wedding elsewhere but there is a significant price increase. I am more concerned about the value of the package than anything. The fact that she pretty much only shoots weddings at that venue kind of alarms me BUT she's a professional and should be able to shoot anywhere (right?)

Here is the package and package price we were given. I'm not very well versed in photography or packages and I don't know if this is a great deal or if we should start to look elsewhere. In your experience does this sound about right? Of course the quality of the images/photographer plays a part but generally speaking is this package price about the norm? 

·    Photo Journalistic Style Imagery

Up to 5 Hours of Photography Coverage

·      Modern Image Wedding Album

10x10 album, black cover included

Contains up to 30 pages, with up to 80 images

Images to be selected from the slide show 

·      Images on Website 

Production of images online

Website hosting for viewing and ordering, 30 days

Bonus Items:

Two Photographs  (8x10)

DVD Slideshow (125 images, not printable)

Total Price: $3,157.43 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!

Re: Good Value?

• edited December 2011
    So, for the price of $3157.43 (obscure number...) you get 2 prints, a slideshow of 125 images, and an album of up to 80 images from the slideshow images....
    First, who chooses the slideshow images?
    Who is the photographer? So we can at least see if she's worth the money-

To me, that seems like a lot of money for hardly anything. I don't know if it's because I am from Maine and everything is cheaper up here but usually for that price you could at least get a disk of all the images too. Although it really does depend on the photograper- if she is really really good and well established then I can kinda see why it might be worth it, but some photographers charge waaaay more than they are worth too. Also, what kind of things have you found for reviews about her?

Maybe you should try posting this on your local board to see if others in your area can vouch for her or at least say that it's a reasonable price.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_good-value?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:fa5da44c-5a27-45d7-bbc1-1f99ca6875eaPost:4dd50e2c-8d76-4e7a-abe0-a45ed903d4c6">Re: Good Value?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, for the price of $3157.43 (obscure number...) you get 2 prints, a slideshow of 125 images, and an album of up to 80 images from the slideshow images.... First, who chooses the slideshow images? Who is the photographer? So we can at least see if she's worth the money- To me, that seems like a lot of money for hardly anything. I don't know if it's because I am from Maine and everything is cheaper up here but usually for that price you could at least get a disk of all the images too. Although it really does depend on the photograper- if she is really really good and well established then I can kinda see why it might be worth it, but some photographers charge waaaay more than they are worth too. Also, what kind of things have you found for reviews about her? Maybe you should try posting this on your local board to see if others in your area can vouch for her or at least say that it's a reasonable price.
    Posted by CherandAl[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>My line of thinking is similar to yours. A LOT. All of the reviews are amazing but ALL of the brides who review her got married at the same venue. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying her work isn't great but it can't be that hard to perfect working in the same place for years on end, you know? </div><div>
    </div><div>It seems to ME like it's a slight rip off (especially with not getting print rights and only 125 images) but I've been guilty of applying my logic to situations where it doesn't apply so I thought it'd be better to ask around and make sure that I wasn't losing my marbles.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for your advice! </div><div>
    </div><div>Oh <a href="http://www.joannahendersonphotography.com">clicky</a> <-- her page <a href="joannahendersonphotographyblog.com">blog clicky</a> <---her blog

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • edited December 2011
    I took a look through her blog and believe $3000+ is outrageous for the quality of work if the output is only 2 prints, a slideshow of 125 images, and an album of up to 80 images from the slideshow images.  I know it varies by market, but even in NYC or SF, I wouldn't pay that amount for those deliverables.

I might suggest you shop for some other options of local photographers and see if you can get more value / quality for your money.  $3000 is definitely enough to snag a high caliber photographer in most markets.
  • edited December 2011
    That's a steep price for only 5 hours of coverage as well. I've been pricing that amount for 8+ hours with two photographers. I would be hesitant to go with a photographer that doesn't give you a DVD of images that you can print at your own discretion. 125 non-printable doesn't sound so great, to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards