California-Los Angeles
Options

DJs using CDs

Would you all use a DJ that still used CDs?  I thought everyone had gone digital but it doesn't seem to be the case. 

Re: DJs using CDs

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DJ used a couple of CDs but they were ones we provided to him but that was because we didn't meet him until the wedding.  All of his music was on his computers.  The CDs turned out just fine but if he were to have used nothing but CDs I can imagine that would have taken some time to keep switching them out.  Is there anyway to drop by one of his events to see his work?
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As in CDs in a cd player that have to be switched out?

Or hs has a collection of cds and a digital mixer? I know a couple DJs that have a collection of "wedding mixes" on cd, but they go into a mixer and can be spun and mixed just like records.
    11.13.2010 = BEST DAY EVER!!!
    Married Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure exactly yet.  Maybe that is the way he is doing it.  My concern is if he only has cds how would people be able to request songs?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't go with him.
    Plus, some DJs don't play an entire song and fade in a new one on top of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I should come out and say, the person is Eric from So Cal DJs.  A lot of people on here recommended him.  He seems great but when he told me he still uses cds I got a little hesitant.  Can someone who has used him give me some feedback?

I met with Tom Chandler.  I love him and love his equipment.  he just doesnt provide uplighting and I really need a DJ that can provide the lighting as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that After Dark Entertainment provides uplighting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to work in radio and we DID switch to digital music, but there's nothing wrong with CDs. Some people just prefer to work like that. The only *issue* would be if the CDs were scratched or poor-quality burned CDs. But if they are new/well taken care of and the sound is good, it's fine. (I'm sure they'd be good - it's his living, after all, and he's likely the only person who touches them.)

As for requesting music, DJs will have a list, much like when you go to karaoke, so they can find the track they need.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Tom Chandler and he did provide lighting for us....we didn't need anything too fancy, but it was enough light on the dance floor. It was an additional cost from our DJ-only package.

I can't say enough about him....he was EXCELLENT. He made the reception what it was...the dance floor was packed all night and every single song was good. No cheesy business, either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He does provide dance lighting.  However, I am going with an allwhite theme so I need uplighting which makes the room purple.  I kinda have my heart set on it.  I am not ruling Tom out though.  I have heard so many good things about him and was impressed when we met him. 
  • Options
    imlovingitimlovingit member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I met with Tom Chandler and some guy from After Dark Entertainment. Based on personality I had to go with Tom. We ended up getting lighting from someone else and it all worked out great.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, if you liked Tom, you should go with him and then look for lighting from another source. In my opinion, the DJ can make or break things. Having a good one can make things great, and a bad one can ruin the wedding.

Lighting is lighting...as long as you can find a company that can do the purple lights that you are looking for, there isn't a whole lot that can be messed up (or if it is, it doesn't affect the whole wedding the way a bad DJ would).

Just my 2 cents, though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everything you are saying but so far all the companies that only do lighting cost a fortune.  With a dj they are much cheaper.  What lighting company did you use with Tom?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards