Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Catholic Anullments..... YIKES!

Hey Ladies~

I am not catholic but will be marrying the man of my dreams, who is, in the very near future... There's just one thing, It very well could be later rather than sooner due to a catholic annullment. My first husband has been into drugs from what i understand and drops on and off the grid every now and then. Nobody really knows how to get ahold of him and I'm scared thats going to hold us up. We are ready to set a date but its kindof hard when you dont know how long the process will or can take!

My question to yall (yes, im from TX) is have you gone through this process? If so, how long did it take? was the other party able to be found and a willing participant? HELP!

Re: Catholic Anullments..... YIKES!

• Options
    Have you spoken to a lawyer about this?
  • Options
    no, why would i need to speak with a lawyer? : /

• Options
    I think OP is talking about an anullment within the Catholic Church. I'm guessing she has the legal dissolution of her marriage. The Cathloic Church doesn't recognize them, you have to get an anullment through them that they recognize.
  • Options
    thanks! i am new to this board an ddidnt realize i was in the wrong section.

• Options
    Sorry, yeah I thought you meant a legal annulment. I don't know about getting a religious annulment, sorry!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    There many be some ladies on the Second Weddings board that can help too. Talk to your FH's priest and see if the church has some resources for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket June 2012 Siggy Challange - Shoes
  • Options
     Were you previously married in the church?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    no, it was a JP marriage, i was 17, and it was basically a guardianship change bc my mother wasnt exactly fit :(
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-anullments-yikes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:359c70c4-0196-49c9-98c0-0e46d7b4d4d0Post:249046d4-0343-4e7c-b64a-8af77c8fec43">Re: Catholic Anullments..... YIKES!</a>:
    [QUOTE]no, it was a JP marriage, i was 17, and it was basically a guardianship change bc my mother wasnt exactly fit :(
    Posted by amandajared[/QUOTE]

If you weren't married in the Catholic church, I don't understand how it can issue an annulment.  You really need to talk to a priest about this.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-anullments-yikes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:359c70c4-0196-49c9-98c0-0e46d7b4d4d0Post:6226f2fe-be8a-4767-be07-bf6ef26d49bb">Re: Catholic Anullments..... YIKES!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Anullments..... YIKES! : If you weren't married in the Catholic church, I don't understand how it can issue an annulment.  You really need to talk to a priest about this.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

<div>It's only an annulment for the Catholic Church.  They don't expect anyone else to recognize it.  </div><div>
    </div><div>While the church doesn't recognize marriages of Catholics performed outside the church, they do recognize marriages of non-catholics performed outside the church.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Anyway, I think it's a shortened process for non-Catholics.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-anullments-yikes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:359c70c4-0196-49c9-98c0-0e46d7b4d4d0Post:0ed88222-1c81-40bf-b81a-c7118438df5d">Re: Catholic Anullments..... YIKES!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband went through an annulment, many, many years ago. His ex-wife chose not to respond to the questionnaire that was sent to her. It didn't hold up the process at all. The tribunal proceeded within the original time frame. If she had objected to the annulment and presented her own testimony, that might have slowed things down. You will probably have to give his last known address and the address of his parents or another close relative. The length of time that it takes to get an annulment varies from one diocese to another. My husband's took 6 months, but that was a very long time ago. The priest that is assigned to help you with your paperwork should be able to give you a fairly accurate time estimate. Good luck.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

I grew up really good friends with the canon lawyers and judges who do all this, and this sounds about right.
  • Options
    If you aren't Cathlolic how are you going to be married in the Catholic church? It was my understanding you needed to be a practicing/communioned member of a church for it to be recognized or performed my a Catholic priest anyway.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-anullments-yikes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:359c70c4-0196-49c9-98c0-0e46d7b4d4d0Post:53cc1082-16bd-4922-9e60-38cba0e182af">Re: Catholic Anullments..... YIKES!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you aren't Cathlolic how are you going to be married in the Catholic church? It was my understanding you needed to be a practicing/communioned member of a church for it to be recognized or performed my a Catholic priest anyway.
    Posted by kimiandgary[/QUOTE]

<div>Only one spouse needs to be catholic.  Her fiance is catholic, so they're good.</div>

SaveSave
  • Options
    thnak you guys for all of the advice and feedback! we have a meeting to start the annulment process on monday! im sure it will be a long road, (18-24 months in Dallas) but like so many of you told me, it will mean more and be worth it! thanks!

• Options
    Good luck to you. It's such a nice thing for you to do for your fiance.

• Options
    Sounds like you should really talk to a priest about your options and timing. When my aunt and uncle were planning their wedding my uncle's annullment was taking longer than expected. So they used a JOP, and once the anullment came through they got their marriage validated within the church. Good luck!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards